Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

Absolutely nothing hunting related in today's catalog as far as I can see.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Hunting vest
Unread 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
terc
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Hunting vest

Filson products are great,but,beware of the big zippers and heavy duty buckles. I put a large gash in the checkering of a nice gun a few years ago. I also try to stay away from strap vests. A heavily loaded vest pulls tight over the shoulder down towards your arm pitt. This is exactly were you place the shotgun butt while shooting. I think a vest with a wide surface makes a more stable shooting base. The vest I'm using now is made by LL Bean. I should probably buy a spare,anything good is usually discontinued.
Dave
Dave Tercek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ron, I have worn a Filson Oil Cloth vest for several years, you won't tear it up. It's a little warm in early season and a pretty heavy garment. I even sent it back to have the shell loops replaced. I always hate to throw something like that away before it's worn completely out. I think if I wear it out before I'm dead, I may go with something a little lighter that won't last so long, probably the Bean or Cabelas.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Mike, the L. L. Bean vest I use is not much lighetr than the Filson if at all. It is oiled & waxed canvas but is pretty rugged. No tears yet in mine and I've plowed through some pretty formiddable briar tangles and slash piles.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

I like vests that have buttons instead of zippers. Just my preference for my clumsy fingers. David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Which vest, interesting question.

Truth be told, I have several. A light one for early season New England warm days; waxed for those heavy dew mornings or light rain; a lined one for cool weather and when I return to my boyhood home in Pennsylvania, "Filson Tin Cloth" for protection from patches of Pennsylvania White Thorn which can destroy regular hunting clothes in a single day.

I do try to avoid those big exposed zippers and buttons that can seriously scratch a stock. I like the ones with recessed zippers and buttons or at a minimum a storm flap to cover them. I like pocket flaps to keep weed chaff out and shells & gloves in, again without those big snaps that can scratch the gun. Front loading game pouch that is lined and easy to clean is always nice too.

I don't have a dog so I don't need all the extra pockets for dog "stuff".

This isn't as easy a question to answer as it seems. I think where, when and what you hunt limit the selection and then what features you require or simply want narrow the choice. I assume New England woodcock hunting requires something different than North Dakota mid winter pheasant hunting or Mississippi duck hunts; although I have never hunted in the South or far West.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
Doug Helton
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think I have tried every vest that has come down the pike the past 20 years , most have not satisfied , we have the need to carry quite a bit of water for our dogs and have found the Pella Bird N Lite and the Quillomene [ particulary if you carry a lot of stuff ] to have held up the best

Doug
Doug Helton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

I have a bunch of vests, but the Filson Pro Guide strap is a real piece of work if you can find one for about half price. I will be selling mine at my estate sale since it will probably still have eighty years left in it. I bought a nice Beretta medium weight vest at a closeout last year just because it had orange on it. It turned out to be a great vest, not made of the wimpy material that most Beretta stuff is made of. I don't have to pick a vest for dog water pockets, the game pocket is fine with me.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I picked up a Filson "Tin Cloth Strap Vest" last fall and it is closer to perfect to my needs than any other vest I have tried. No metal buckels to scratch a gun and not a piece of plastic on the garmet. Probably as close to what you would find on a truly vintage game bag as there is.

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

Not inexpensive but worth the price.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
I picked up a Filson "Tin Cloth Strap Vest" last fall and it is closer to perfect to my needs than any other vest I have tried. No metal buckels to scratch a gun and not a piece of plastic on the garmet. Probably as close to what you would find on a truly vintage game bag as there is.

http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

Not inexpensive but worth the price.
That looks like a really nice vest. Much more room for stuff than mine. I have had the one at the link below for several years and the only issue is that the orange gets really dirty with use and there is a buckle that I have to be careful with: http://www.filson.com/product/index....069837.2075109
I can carry shotshells, compass and a couple bottles of water pretty comfortably. Add a couple of dead pheasants and I wouldn't want to be carrying them all day with this vest.

I like the strap vest because I can hunt in a t-shirt or a parka depending upon weather conditions. I also like and would recommend Filsons Tin cloth chaps. I have the single layer ones that are nearly worn through at the bottoms. The next pair will be the double tin cloth model.