Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

December Daze
Unread 12-15-2023, 09:51 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Default December Daze

December is the best time to hunt quail in North Missouri. Most of the heavy green growth has been seared by heavy frost, almost all the crops are harvested, and the weather is cold, but not too cold -- and skies are so wonderfully variable as to make just being out under them a gift.

Our season has been a challenge, with the loss of good land to hunt, a too warm and dry opening month, and lower than expected bird numbers. Having a puppy you want to get into birds makes the challenge even greater, and I’ve felt pressure to put our Rill into some wild Bobs…with little success until recently.

Since December we have been able to locate some coveys and get some bird work in. Aspen is unhappy that he’s losing some time in good cover, and has become the “prospecting” dog. Still, both pups love to run the acres we do have access to.

Here are some photos from our December so far (thanks to my personal photographer, Elaine):

1. There were times early in the season that I felt like I'd never get into birds with Rill. Finally, in early December, we found a large, 20-bird plus, covey that cooperated. Rill found and Aspen backed, and we managed to get a couple of birds from this covey to make our "limit." Some singles without shooting allowed Rill to get some much needed experience.

2. Aspen has become our "prospector" dog, as we explore some new cover in hopes of locating a covey or two. If they're there, he will usually find them as he has here in a field corner near a creek somewhere deep in Ray County, Missouri.

3. Rill is a very biddable pup -- a pleasure to hunt behind. She keeps whatever distance I want for her, and responds to tone from her collar. I never have to use my voice with her, but can't break the old habit of needlessly encouraging "whoa" on her points...and voicing excessive praise when she finds birds for us. She doesn't seem to mind the praise.

4. We've had more bird-less days this season than any I can remember, even on farms that perennially held birds. The long walks make you realize that you hunt many things while following a bird dog, and that you never know what treasures you'll find, like this enormous old oak that has spread its huge branches over old prairie and field cover for generations.

5. The much too intermittent reward for miles walked is the heart-thumping you get when, finally, your pup stretches into what must be the best aroma he knows -- a covey of wild Bobs.

6&7. There's as much art as science to finding singles from a covey...or is it voodoo? After more than 40 years of study, I'm still a "C" student at best, but, gosh, what a wonderful time to find singles with a young pup!

8. Just this afternoon we braved a North Missouri wet clay road to a farm we've not hunted in years. It had changed much, having been converted from heavy fescue to soy beans. The neighbors have established warm season grasses and native forbs in their adjoining fields, a perfect complement to the bean stubble. We found two large coveys with Rill in our short afternoon hunt. Here's Rill on a nice single find that I managed to take the bird from with my favorite quail gun, a 30" DHE 20, first ordered by a field trial dog handler from Kentucky in 1918.

9. Even though chances at birds are slim, I still consider it a wonderful gift to be able to hunt wild quail near home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5435 2.jpg (593.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5445.jpg (589.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5472.jpg (541.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5515.jpg (577.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5521.jpg (595.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5584.jpg (574.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5544.jpg (561.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5603.jpg (550.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5488.jpg (498.5 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2023, 04:36 AM   #2
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Wow! What beautiful country. The dogs on point tell it all, doing what try love to do.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 04:48 AM   #3
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

That “high tail point” is lovely! Elaine’s photos are superb as always.
Unread 12-16-2023, 06:38 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Garry, Rill sounds like a very well trained bird dog, the envy of any upland hunter - did you train her yourself or did you send her for professional training?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 07:09 AM   #5
James Whittington
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, I have an 8 month old English Setter male that I am starting right now,finding enough wild birds to do the job is a struggle here in NC also. I love the look of your Gordon's.... may have to try one sometime.
Glenn
Unread 12-16-2023, 07:16 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Garry, Rill sounds like a very well trained bird dog, the envy of any upland hunter - did you train her yourself or did you send her for professional training?
Dean, as you know with your Grace, one is always "training" a dog. When I first owned bird dogs, I sought out professional trainers. They taught me a great deal. I now do all my own training, and get a great deal of help from the older dog I always like to have serve as mentor for a pup.

Gordons don't always take well to leaving their people for training. As we've aged, Elaine and I don't take well to being without our pups for 6 weeks either. A smart dog with good breeding and instincts teaches me a lot.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 07:31 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by james whittington View Post
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, I have an 8 month old English Setter male that I am starting right now,finding enough wild birds to do the job is a struggle here in NC also. I love the look of your Gordon's.... may have to try one sometime.
Glenn
I feel your struggle. Elaine and I were talking about how many wild bird contacts were needed to "make" a bird dog. Like major league baseball players needing X number of at-bats. I fear I'll never have as good a bird dog as when we first started (and there were some birds). We try to make up for fewer birds with lots of hunts and by taking good care of our coveys -- not shooting over them too often (and, obviously, not taking many). It's a tough balancing act. I do really see accelerated development when you can pair a well trained veteran with a pup.

Good luck finding birds. Consider a trip or two to places with higher numbers if at all possible. It's worth it when you see the light go on for a puppy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 09:37 AM   #8
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

Looks pretty nice where you get to go out and hunt! The Gordons look like they understand the game and are having fun. My last pheasant hunt in Kansas at the end of November was very warm and only the dogs and I only found hens. I still need to get out this month!

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 09:57 AM   #9
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,242 Times in 445 Posts

Garry,
thanks for sharing this, Elaine's pictures are wonderful! It is quite amazing to see the "light" go on in a young dog, hunting with a well seasoned one. It works with Labs too!!!I wish we had native quail here in Pa.
Cheers, and Merry Christmas
Keavin
Unread 12-16-2023, 10:09 AM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Garry,

Looks pretty nice where you get to go out and hunt! The Gordons look like they understand the game and are having fun. My last pheasant hunt in Kansas at the end of November was very warm and only the dogs and I only found hens. I still need to get out this month!

Ken
Ken, I hope your weather improves and that you and your pups find birds. We have seen exactly two roosters during our Iowa hunts. Maybe some colder weather will concentrate birds in good cover.