Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Notorious Black Alder
Unread 07-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Default Notorious Black Alder

I read with great empathy the recent posts of our Forum colleagues, Craig and Troy, who had each lost a hunting dog. It was especially tough reading those posts as we were losing our Alder (a.k.a. Clearcut Notorious Black Alder) to cancer at the same time. Alder was 11, and was, as all dogs are, quite a character. Bred from lines that would be best suited to horseback field trials, she very likely would have been a winner in competition, but she became available at a time when we were without a dog to hunt over. She would probably not have been my first choice for a hunting dog with her breeding, and I had to work hard to bring her range (400+ yards by the gps!) in to make her suitable for foot hunting. Sometimes I felt guilty about altering her range when I saw the joy she had in running to the horizon. Hunting her in the grouse woods was nerve wracking as she would quickly work out of range, and into mischief. Hunting her on the prairie was like competing in an Olympic race. But if you wanted to find birds, Alder was your girl. I've never had such a hard going bird dog. That drive resulted in lots of injuries over her lifetime -- run-ins with barbed wire, thorns, and other gnarly things, but when it was time to quit the field, she was the gentlest, and most loving dog I've ever known. She had a way of looking me in the eye that went straight to my soul, and toward the end I agonized trying to read that look, hoping for the sign that the time was right to put her down. I'm sure there are those of you who know all to well that look.

I guess writing about her is a catharses of sorts, and I know that I'm not alone here with those of you who've been owned by a dog and had to help end their suffering. I also know all the things caring folks say to you at your loss, but it still takes a while for the emptiness to lessen -- it never really goes away.

I hope when you read this and think of your dogs, past and present, that you'll reflect on this incredibly special relationship between hunter and dog. There's nothing quite like it, and, thankfully, never will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9920.jpg (566.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3425.jpg (518.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3403.jpg (544.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2414.jpg (509.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3300.jpg (515.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3568.jpg (518.4 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2023, 01:54 PM   #2
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Garry so sad having to say goodbye. I don't know what to say but I know what you're feeling. So sorry. Craig
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 07-15-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

My wonderful life is the product of the love and adoration I received from eight of God's most beautiful creations. Eight long runs of joy, but always ending with a sad, and soul draining sense of loss; an emotional emptiness that was the price I had to pay for the constant stream of joy and love those eight gave me. I was undeserving of that love, so I did whatever I could, to give back what I could. My final gift to each was the almost unbearable goodbye. It was all I could do for them on the last of thousands of joy filled days. I only pray that the emptiness I feel when they depart, is from the little piece of me that they take when they leave.
My deepest sympathies to you, Garry, and to Craig and all the others who know that emptiness.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2023, 03:08 PM   #4
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

Edgar you capture all of those feelings in a few sentences. It brought tears to my eyes reading it and remembering.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2023, 06:42 AM   #5
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Oh, such a beautiful pup. Except, I guess, that 4th picture...so did she roll in beaver castor then run through a patch of beggar ticks??? I must know because I'm sure someday I'll deal with that too.
You know I've had identical thoughts as I read Craig and Troy's stories. It caused me to think so much of our "Gunny", a 9 1/2 year old Griff that we put down a year ago July 1st. I'm constantly reminded of so many of the fun times we had together, but have been unable to share them here so far.
Thank you for sharing your story, it helps me and others too I suspect. Wouldn't mind hearing more some day. Hard running dogs living on the brink of trouble at 400 yards! And the birds! They so love it.
Thanks Garry and so sorry for your loss.
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2023, 07:39 AM   #6
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Garry I hate to read of your loss of this great companion.
Unread 07-17-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you my friends. Your comments mean a great deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #8
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Thank you Garry, for sharing that with us. I know the feeling. I've lost too many. At 71 I don't think I want to risk that hurt again. I'm companionless now, as far as dogs go. I think I may have already had my last.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2023, 10:52 AM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Thank you Garry, for sharing that with us. I know the feeling. I've lost too many. At 71 I don't think I want to risk that hurt again. I'm companionless now, as far as dogs go. I think I may have already had my last.
I'm not too far behind you in age, Stan, so I know it's an important consideration as to when we get our last hunting dog. As much as upland bird hunting is our lives, Elaine and I talk about this decision a great deal. I do know that my life (and health) won't be good if I can't hunt over my own dog. I also know I don't want to leave a dog at my life's end. Quite the dilemma.

As I've been known to say (probably too many times according to my wife), there's no manual on how to live out your life, so you just have to do the best you can.

Thanks for your reply. I hope you've got one of those long barreled .410s primed and ready for your dove opener. I look forward to reading your report.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2023, 02:19 PM   #10
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

I’ve had to go through your agony 3 times and it never gets easier. Each dog is unique even from the same breed. I’ve had Gordon Setters since 1986. They are great companions and family members. I know when I no longer have an upland dog, my hunting days are done. I don’t look forward to that day.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post: