Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

20 gauge re-stock
Unread 09-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 20 gauge re-stock

This VH 20 had had it's stock cut about 2 1/4" many years ago (for a youth or lady?). At some point the original butt was reattached but a very noticeable glue line, not the best job. I love the gun but, ugh, the glue line. Just got it back, my guy went a little overboard on the wood for a V gun but I'm not going to complain, I'm gonna eat quail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1975(1).jpg (538.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1974.jpg (536.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1977.jpg (526.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1976.jpg (538.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1978.jpg (545.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1979.jpg (515.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1980.jpg (485.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1981.jpg (509.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1982.jpg (532.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1983.jpg (504.0 KB, 1 views)
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Keith,

That is beautiful. I have to laugh because it reminds me of the first Parker I had restocked It was a hammer 20 gauge and I told the stocker it was a low grade gun so nothing fancy. When he sent the gun back he said he had picked a scrap off the floor. Like yours it was outstanding and I called my father to tell him about it. I let the phone ring three time before I realized Papa had died about four months before.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harry, that's gorgeous, doesn't look like scraps to me! Funny, those were my exact words to my guy, "It's a bottom grade gun, it wants a strait grain piece of ho-hum American walnut, just like it left Parker 90+ years ago. Let's try to match the original as close as you can." BUT, I'm not gonna complain!
I'm off to Briley's to pick up the barrels for my 30" FxF today. I've had guns and gun parts scattered all over the country for months and it's time for them to all "fly" home. Bird season is upon us again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,413 Times in 4,592 Posts

Sounds like you didn't get what you specifically asked for...
Unread 09-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brian, you are correct. My intentions were to reproduce as close as possible the original stock. V guns typically had pretty strait grain plain stocks. I own several examples, all with what I would call "basic" walnut stocks. This deal involved me trading a piece of custom equipment for the job ( I own Texas Hunting Systems). In my mind my guy's thinking was he wanted to exceed my expectations. He did although deviated from the path I had in mind. As I have no intentions of this gun being sold in my lifetime I'm going to enjoy it for many years, it's a very nice little 20 ga. to take afield. It has been re-case colored, re-rust blued, and so I would say the collector's value as an "all original" Parker was pretty well gone when I started on the stock project. I'm going to let my estate worry about that after I'm gone. My nieces and nephews will all get to choose one rifle and one shotgun on my passing, the rest to be sold as my widow sees fit. At that point I certainly won't care!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brian, on the same subject, I'm the fellow that contacted you about the mesquite stock for the VHE 16 ga. Kinda the same story, at some point shortened and a pad added. I still want to have the well aged rather large log of old growth mesquite I have sawn hoping to get a good, usable blank set out of it. Then, If I can talk you into taking the job, having the VHE restocked to my liking. I have found a mill guy, just haven't had time to get with him.
Unread 09-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Keith,

Looking at your business https://texashuntingsys.com it is evolution from the plantation days of mule drawn wagons.
I appreciate your prospective on your 20 gauge. I too have a few that fall into that category. One is the VH 12 gauge that Sherman Bell blew the barrels off of. He found that fluid steel Parkers are just as stout as Damascus. So with no barrels and shattered stock I patiently waited. My cousin gave Uncle Bill's, her father, 20 VH, a 16 VH with single trigger and no stock, plus a set of #2 frame Damascus Barrels.Being partial to straight stocks and checkered butts both the 16 and 12 received scraps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1C56B51E-CDE5-4949-A88E-EF5C34372118.jpg (571.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg B29AEC1A-407B-49DC-87D5-6AB1839AD0A5.jpg (524.4 KB, 2 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's quite a scrap pile you stumbled on!
I've always wanted to take time, go to Georgia, and spend a few days doing the mule drawn hunt. My customers and myself are hunting ranches from a few hundred acres to many thousands. A good part is wicked brush, cactus, etc. EVERYTHING south of San Antonio will bite, stick you, or scratch you. We typically follow the dogs with vehicles of one kind or another, mules and wagons just not practical. Another issue is frequently even on into winter a working dog is smokin' hot, lathered up and has his nose dusted up where he can't smell s*#& if he steps in it. Dogs have to be rotated out, cooled down, etc. so lots of kennel space on our rigs can be a must. You kinda gotta be mad at the quail to hunt the brush country!
Unread 09-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Keith, enjoy your quail!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, the little girl with the long, floppy ears in my avatar laid her head in my lap this morning wanting to know why we weren't at the teal pond, she doesn't understand "working", "money", or any of that. She takes for granted a safe full of shotguns and an unlimited stock of shells. Come November 1 it's always a dilemma between the duck blind, the deer stand, or the quail pastures (and sometimes like today, slaving away at the business). What a great problem to have! Best of Fall to you, we gotta enjoy it while we can.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post: