Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Skeuse Parker nomenclature, a winner
Unread 07-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
joe breda
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Skeuse Parker nomenclature, a winner

Skeuse Parker’s,... Hmmmm?
Novel name, and definitely prefer that nomenclature, far better than calling them “Repro’s”
The name “Repro” is condescending, I believe!
The word sounds like the word “Repo”, short for repossessed, and has a NEGATIVE connotation, too it ? And it also sounds cheap, and these fine SxS’s are anything, but cheap, in quality and in cost !
The “Skeuse” Parkers, utilizes the same Parker design and Patents. Even the parts are interchangeable! I know this to be true, because I manufacture Parker Parts, ( ref. Brian Dudley)
Who has purchased many parts from us (BMI) Breda Machine Inc. One of the most intricate parts we have manufactured is the Ejector Hammers. They work in the “Skeuse” Parker’s, and in the “Meriden” built Parker’s, of old ! If the parts don’t fit 100% exactly, that’s because the Skeuse Parkers were CNC machined and all the parts are exact, part to part, where as the Meriden Parker’s were made using manual machining methods, then hand fitted for the last thousands, or two. I’ll add also, that some old Salvaged Parker parts need refitted also !
That’s the only caveat about Parker parts ! A swipe or two with a file, only if needed, and they’ll fit !
In my Professional opinion, the Skeuse Parker’s are superior to the Meriden built Parker’s.
To name a few things; the machining is better, the parts fit and engage better, the finishes are better ( Excluding the case colors) which is a little lacking, to me, and just a cosmetic.
Lastly more modern steels were used in manufacturing of the Skeuse Parkers, so the metallurgy it far superior!
The biggest perk concerning the Skeuse Parkers is, they were stocked to more modern stock dimensions, especially at the comb and heel !
Now back to name calling, in more of a honorable way.
I say we should try to refer to them more often as “The Skeuse Parkers”, instead of “Repro’s”.
It’s a more honorable, respectful reference, and a Salute to The Skeuse Family who painstakingly brought them back in the 1980’s
They are true Parker’s in every sense of design, such as the old Colt 45 Autos were.
The Colt 45’s are designated by the makers, and NOT called Reproductions or Repro Colt 45’s !
There are Singer Colt 45’s, Remington Colt 45’s etc. etc etc.
But Still All Colt 45’s, are they not?
Same as the German Lugers are referred to by different manufacturers, but they are still Lugers, are they not ?
So, my hat is off to the gentleman(s) that refer to these later day Parker’s, as Skeuse Parker’s, because they are truly Parkers, are they not ?
On a side Note; if you ever want to up the fun a notch while shooting your sub gauge Skeuse Parker, you may want to try what I’ve done a few years ago. I had my 26”, 28 gauge DHE fitted with Briley’s 410 full length tubes. Surprisingly to me, it now has a better balance, and doesn’t seem to be as whippy. It seemed to tone that down, just a tad, which I now call....Perfect.
My experience with Briley’s tubes is, it generally makes some guns feel like there’s a boat anchor hanging down from the front of the barrel, at least to me it feels that way. I’ve found It has the opposite effect with the Briley’s in the Skeuse Parker 28 gauge, with 26” barrels.
And I’ll tell you what, man o man it is, a ton of fun shooting 410’s out of it. All those out there with a Skeuse configured in 28 gauge may want to give that a try ?
Not sure what the Briley’s would feel like in 20’s or 12 gauge guns ?
The overall cost at the time I purchased the Briley’s was around $700 including shipping and insurance. A far cry less expensive than purchasing a set of 410 barrels for your Skeuse Parker 28 gauge. And that’s if you could find a set, in the first place.
I say to this day, that was the best $700 I’ve ever spent, and I rarely shoot 28’s out of it now a days.
I’ll leave you with that note, to ponder !
CHEERS,
JoeB
joe breda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joe breda For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Hi Joe -

"Repro" or "Skeuse Parker"... those are nothing more than a simple nickname. They are and will always be the Parker Reproduction by Winchester - so named by Tom Skeuse, the founder of the Parker Reproduction. Folks can call them whatever they like; but they should never call them cheap reproductions. I agree with you Joe, that they are in many ways a better product but only because of the quality of the steels and the manufacturing processes, not because of the design - that was all done long before Tom Skeuse came on the scene.

Aside from the quality of the wood on many examples, the only flaw I have found with the Repros is with their mass-produced ejector hammers and I hope the ones you're producing have eliminated that critical flaw.

Original Parker ejector hammers had a radiused inside angle to that little 90-degree foot and when the Olin factory in Kodensha Japan manufactured these hammers they took a short cut by eliminating the radius. This mistake spelled didaster to some of their ejector hammers, mine included. And until you came along our only source was an ejector hammer cannibalized from an original Parker.

I like that you honor the Skeuse family by including their name in your new nomenclature... but I'm an old dog and you know what they say about teaching us new tricks....

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
joe breda
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean,
You were spot in concerning the flaw with the a Ejector Hammers, and yes I corrected it by adding that small radius, when I reverse engineered them.
I readily picked up on that flaw after the one in mine broke and I analyzed it.
My discipline before I retired was in the Aerospace industry, and I knew all about NOT having sharp corners in designs !
In my past sales, I’ve sold a lot more rights, than lefts. I believe that’s just because the right Barrel is Shot most often ?
Thank you for your kind words concerning my dissertation.
Much appreciated !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe breda For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Joe, you and your reverse engineering are a valuable resource for we Parker lovers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Hi Joe....can/should the original ejector parts be altered before they fail? Thanks SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The failure rate is pretty low and it will still operate as an extractor gun until a repair can be made.

Unread 07-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sounds to me having a spare set of ejector hammers tossed in the case, is a good idea for long term maintenance. I’ve been told the ejector mechanism is not for the “faint of heart” and should be repaired by someone who knows the assembly, and how it works. Having hammers, and / or other ejector parts on hand, is not such a bad idea (small spare parts kit in the case) to short-circuit a potential repair.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

"Repro" short for Reproduction as in the actual name of the guns. Parker Reproductions.

It is not like they are called Parker "knockoffs".

Or Japanese Parkers? Like we refer to Meriden or Ilion Parkers. Or Belgian vs. Jap Brownings.
Unread 07-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
joe breda
Forum Associate

Member Info

“can/should the original ejector parts be altered before they fail? Thanks SXS Ohio”
ANSWER: No, not that I’m aware of !

MD*GSP
“Ejector System not for the faint hearted”
ANSWER: You got that right ! Having spares in your gun case will do you no good. The Ejector Hammer installation is not a plug and play item ! And you need someone who knows what they are doing to install and time them !
It’s been said, working on the Parker Ejector System is like working with a bucket of snakes!
And I found that to be very true !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joe breda For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #10
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,341 Times in 301 Posts

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”
Meridan Parker, Remington Parker...I'm with Juliette, er, I mean Joe... Skeuse Parker.

Now about those .410 barrels, Skeuse vs CSMC ...
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30698
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote