Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 09-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Grabbing a late lunch and back at it, but the bores measured .737 and were proofed at .733.

As I understand such things, anything under .743 would be considered still in proof?

My first Parker DH measured .021 in one of its damascus barrels but I was assured it was safe (with light loads) by the knowledgeable gentleman I had contacted looking for one. He was right.

This gun is me dipping my toe across the pond by dealing with a knowledgeable dealer who has a reputation for being fair. I am not looking for me to be able to turn around in 10-20 years and make a big profit on it. Its a learning experience for me on a gun that appeals to me.

I thank you for your due concern Mr. Murphy and take no offense at all at your wise and safe advice. In fact I greatly appreciate it.

I may very well at some point regret the money spent on it....I doubt it....but I do not think I will regret the experience or the education it will provide.

Also, I picked up a book on W & C Scott as what I have found online claims that they more or less built all the guns for Evans and Evans may or may not have done nothing more than have their name put on it. So it should be interesting reading.
Unread 09-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post

Also, I picked up a book on W & C Scott as what I have found online claims that they more or less built all the guns for Evans and Evans may or may not have done nothing more than have their name put on it. So it should be interesting reading.
That isn't uncommon and if I recall correctly the actions of many labels such as Wesley Richards, Army/Navy, Evans, Scott etc are all based on the same or very similar action.

Do yourself a favor and get some 2 inch shells from RST. If you buy a flat and don't like them I'll buy them from you BUT I know you'll love them I sure do.
Unread 09-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #13
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Proof marks which I believe indicate proofed in 1997?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8740.jpg (543.2 KB, 3 views)
Unread 10-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,665 Times in 1,642 Posts

Have a question that I am sure one of you guys can answer, I own two guns that were made across the pond so to speak, are they English guns or Birmingham and what is the difference? The guns in question is a 28 bore William Atkinson with the jones underlever, and a Charles Hellis 410bore both are back action and steel barreled and of course side by sides, just curious to know Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

William Atkinson and/or William Atkinson & Son is listed at various Lancaster addresses from1874-1966.

Charles Hellis was established in 1884, 21 Shrewsbury Rd, London, became Charles Hellis & Son in 1902, absorbed by AG&L in 1960, restarted as Hellis Beesley & Watson in 1984, and is now Charles Hellis & Sons (again) at 10 Harness Way, Albans, Herts.

Little difference in WHERE English guns are made. It's the quality level they're made to. Still, "name" London guns carry a social prestige B'ham guns do not.

Being small bores, both your guns are quite desirable.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #16
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

As I am learning in my research, many so called "London guns" were actually made in Birmingham, but there is still a prestige level attached to that london address.
Unread 10-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,665 Times in 1,642 Posts

Interesting info, and I thank you, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The overall quality and fit and finish and ability to stand up to shooting and abuse will determine whether an unknown maker of the small bore gun will be acceptable for us to own. If I wanted to own a smallbore gun, I would attempt to find a name brand gun or one that is very sound based on personal inspection.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,195 Times in 891 Posts

Congrats......................on your purchase.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #20
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

And that is why I called it an education. This Evans is a fine fine gun, but I just can't feel the attachment/nostalgia I feel when I look at/shoot/mess with my Parkers.

It is just a gun in the safe. It shoots great, the straight stock is an adjustment but nothing too serious there, but it just doesn't get the blood pumping like guns I like tend to.

I can see that I will probably be sending this one down the road in the near future. Shame, it is a fine gun, but its just a gun to me and I don't have room in the safe for just a gun.

My anglophile great uncle is rolling over in his grave as I write this and saying he was right not to leave me his Greener when he died.......