Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 08-30-2018, 05:44 AM   #21
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Cardillo View Post
Victor - does your SCC have 3" chambers?

Paul - to your point..I, too am surprised the seller doesn't seem to highlight the fact it is indeed a bonafide SCC..maybe the seller doesn't fully realize, or appreciate, what he/she is offering. Who knows?
I was pretty sure right away what it was, the seller only added a picture of the barrel flats after I messaged them asking for one.. I realized pretty quick they didn’t have any idea what they had, and I’m sure if they knew how rare it was they’d mention it in the title. I’m sure a lot of people aren’t even bothering to look at the pics when they are scrolling through and see a 12 gauge reproduction listed for $6,400.

It was listed maye 4-5 times at a $4,999 opening bid. When they lowered it to $4,499 I came close to buying it. Once I decided to pass I figured I’d post it here.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #22
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post
Maybe it’s a 1980’s thing, but where are the 30+ inch barrels? I love my 28 inch SCC, but longer barrels would make the love more like momma’s love.

-Victor
It has been reported in these pages that there were 25 12-ga. 30" Parker Reproduction barrel sets made. These 30" barrel sets were made available and could be added onto any 12-ga. Repro. To my recollection three different posters here on the forum have discussed having them added to their SSSs, two of the three poster's 30" barrel sets have had Briley aftermarket choke tubes installed -- both of these posters have listed them for sale within the last 12 months here on this site in the For Sale forum, one of them is just the 30" barrels only, the other is a complete 2-bbl. set. To my knowledge these are still available. The 3rd poster told us he hasn't found the need or opportunity to shoot his factory choked M/F 30" barrel set much. Where the other 22 30" original PR barrel sets are remains a mystery.

There was also a 4th poster that claims there is at least one set of 32" Parker Reproduction barrels in existence and a friend of his owns it. When questioned of its authenticity the poster says the barrels are "Skeuse all over". But, unfortunately this 32" barrel set remains unverified.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #23
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
There was also a 4th poster that claims there is at least one set of 32" Parker Reproduction barrels in existence and a friend of his owns it. When questioned of its authenticity the poster says the barrels are "Skeuse all over". But, unfortunately this 32" barrel set remains unverified.
As you know Greg, a lot of people talk about a lot of stuff on this Forum that they have SEEN. But talk is cheaper than dirt. SHOW ME.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 09-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #24
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

In an effort to try and help the seller of this Parker Reproduction Sporting Clays Classic in regards to identifying what he's selling and informing him of what we've learned about a Parker Repro SCC's actual chamber length, here's his response:
"Thank you for the information, but a shotgun that the chamber measures 3 inches is for a 2&3/4, a 3&1/4 is for a 3inch shell and a measure of 3&3/4 is for a 3&1/2 the extra space is for the shell to open when fired."
In regards to Parker Reproductions specifically . . . . who's right and who's not quite right?
Unread 09-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #25
Johnny Johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

The ANSI spec for a 2 3/4" smooth bore chamber is a minimum of 2 3/4" deep to the start of the forcing cone and a maximum of 3". A link to the specs can be found on the following page:

https://saami.org/technical-informat...amber-drawings

Hope that this helps.(But I suspect that it won't.)

Later,
Johnny
Johnny Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Johnson For Your Post:
Unread 09-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #26
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

While I appreciate your reply and link, Johnny; it doesn't answer the question regarding the specific chamber lengths of Parker Reproduction Sporting Clays Classics and other models of Parker Reproductions.

I have mentioned previously that I have two SCCs, one is unfired NIB, both are stamped having 2 3/4" chambers, but actually measure 3". I once owned a Steel Shot Special w/28" bbls. that was stamped for 3" shells and its chambers measure 3". I have two 28-ga. Repros, one a 2-bbl. set (26" & 28" bbls.), all three barrels are stamped for 2 3/4" shells and all three have 2 3/4" chambers. I also have a 26" 20-ga. Repro that is stamped for 2 3/4" shells, its chambers measure 2 3/4".

From my small sampling, as well as info I've gathered from others that have actually measured their Repro's chambers, it appears the common practice of the factory was to stamp the barrels with the actual chamber length which matched the length of shell for which it was intended. The exception is the Sporting Clays Classic model that was stamped having 2 3/4" chambers, but all SCCs to my knowledge, left the factory with 3" chambers. In addition, all brochures and articles on the SCC that I've seen have reported them as having 3" chambers.
Unread 09-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #27
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 328 Posts

I measured the chambers of my two 12 gauge Repros. One is a Sporting Clays Classic (28 inch barrels; splinter; pistol grip). The other is not (26 inch barrels; beavertail; straight grip). Both are marked as having 2 3/4 inch chambers. Both have 3 inch chambers. Perhaps what we are calling “3 inch chambers” technically are just long “2 3/4 inch chambers”? See photos.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #28
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Victor, thanks for making the effort to measure your guns chambers. Did you purchase your 12-ga. 26" gun new and are you the original owner? If not, are you absolutely positive that the gun hasn't had its chambers lengthened?
Unread 09-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #29
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
Victor, thanks for making the effort to measure your guns chambers. Did you purchase your 12-ga. 26" gun new and are you the original owner? If not, are you absolutely positive that the gun hasn't had its chambers lengthened?
No, not the original owner. But who would lengthen the chambers of a 26 inch 12 gauge that already handles 2 3/4 inch shells? Pretty sure it’s factory original.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #30
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post
No, not the original owner. But who would lengthen the chambers of a 26 inch 12 gauge that already handles 2 3/4 inch shells?

-Victor
Perhaps a waterfowler that wanted to shoot 3" steel loads through it without having the need to open any chokes. There could be other reasons - that's just one.