Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

parker vh 16 gauge question
Unread 03-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default parker vh 16 gauge question

I have a friend that just purchased a parker 16 gauge and he thinks it has a 00 frame. Is that possible, or would the 00 frame guns be like a 20 or 28 gauge? He said it has 26" barrels and improved and modified chokes. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't know a lot about old shotguns. I am trying to get a serial number from him. I will post that if I can get the serial number.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Welcome. 0-frame, possibly. 00-frame, no. Serial number won’t identify the size of the frame but a picture of the lug will.

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
Welcome. 0-frame, possibly. 00-frame, no. Serial number won’t identify the size of the frame but a picture of the lug will.

JDG
Jay, Thanks for the response, I thought sure he said it was a 00 frame, I am waiting to hear from him, now I am wondering if he said 0 frame. Its fun getting old If it was a 0 frame, is that gun rare in the 16 gauge? I tried to look in here, but cannot figure this out. Thanks again, Ed
Unread 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Ed;

Standard frame size for a 16 is 1, standard for 20 is O. There were 16’s built on O-framed but I have no idea the percentage but I would not call them rare. That being said, generally speaking 0-frame 16’s are sought after because the guns are usually a few ounces lighter than 16 ga 1-frames. At the end of the day the size of the frame is just one consideration in terms of “value” or collectibility. There is a lot to learn about Parker’s. I’ve been a member of the PGCA for a very long time but I learn things just about every time I log onto the forum.

Jay
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,606 Times in 1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
If it was a 0 frame, is that gun rare in the 16 gauge? I tried to look in here, but cannot figure this out. Thanks again, Ed
Hi Ed. I would not say that in general terms the O frame is rare in the 16. It is seen on a regular basis. The exception that comes to mind would be the 32"
guns. "Rare might be applicable there, if not rare at the very least "uncommon" for sure.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
Bob K
PGCA Member

Member Info

Maybe an 0 frame stamped twice?
Bob Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Kimble For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
Hi Ed. I would not say that in general terms the O frame is rare in the 16. It is seen on a regular basis. The exception that comes to mind would be the 32"
guns. "Rare might be applicable there, if not rare at the very least "uncommon" for sure.
Randy,
So, a 16 gauge with 26" barrels in 0 frame would be a normal grouse type gun? The reason I am even looking at it is because of the overall weight and the way it swings etc. I stopped and looked at the gun a couple of days ago, thats why I was sure he said 00 frame, now I am not so sure. The gun was used for hunting, I don't know terminology, the guy called it a "grey gun" there was no finish left on reciever, the wood was in what I would call average shape maybe a little better for being hunted with. The barrels still had some bluing left. I saw somewhere in this forum where people would take a "v" grade gun and do a lot of scrollwork etc. to make the gun exactly the way they wanted it. So that thought crossed my mind some day in the future that might be something I want to do with a gun. I recently purchased a fox "A" grade that had been restored. The parker swings easier, more like my 20 gauge over/under that I use for grouse/woodcock. I am taking the fox out this weekend to hunt pheasants with. I almost never hunt more than a half a day at a time, so I am hoping the added weight of the fox won't be that much of an issue compared to my over under 20 gauge. I am hoping in time to be able to sell my over under, and just hunt with old side by sides. Thanks for everyones input in here and all my other questions I have posted. This is addicting
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,606 Times in 1,842 Posts

In response to your question Ed, yes I would think that the 16 gauge on an O frame with 26 inch barrels could be the perfect Grouse gun. There are other combinations just as suitable but there are a lot of folks that would argue that is a dandy combo.. If that gun is on a double O frame I would have to agree with Bob that it was probably stamped twice. According to TPS there are no 16 gauge guns on the O frame.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Randy,
I was also trying to make sure that the gun barrels had not been cut down. I doubt I would be able to know by looking. It seems I read in here that combination with 26" barrels was pretty standard, so I was hoping they had not been cut. There is so much in this forum to absorb, it gets kind of mixed up in my head some. One of the other members in here may meet me this weekend and look at that gun with me so I am hoping he can share his expertise with me. Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
terc
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had a 16ga for a while that had the typical 0 mark with a small o inspectors mark beside it. I saw it listed as a 00 frame on a for sale listing a few years later.
terc
Dave Tercek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Tercek For Your Post: