Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

10 ga hulls
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 10 ga hulls

I've just picked up my nice wood stock bps today and plan to do alot of shooting over next two or three weeks. And before I forget or chunk them I am going to ask who wants them.they are 3.5" so they will need trimming. They are winchester red.hull dryloks. Havnt seen much or any data for this because winchester.makes a black hull two. I will have.about 40-50 empties in a few weeks.but thought I would go ahead and ask so I wont have to through them away.
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

milton i would like to have them if you dont want to much for them...what kinda 10 ga you firing them shells in.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bps 10 30" barrel.with a extended briley Light Modified. Im shooting T shot steel as of ow it holds a nice pattern @ 40 yards better than BBB shot which countless people recommended over larger T shot. Because bbb has more pellets but patterning showed that larger fewer pellet patterns better out my gun who would have guess. Here's a picture not a sxs but its nice for what it is. Also im working on getting a lc smith sxs 10 ga. 1912 vintage.
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

How for the hulls you think I could have a.loaded 8 gauge shotshell for.my collection. One of them resized industrial shells. I think it would have more nostalgia than just buying a 8 ga industrial shell with the extra rim still on it.
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i could fix you right up with a 8 ga loaded shell and be glad to.. ive looked at a few pump guns myself in the 10 ga... they are really good guns... charlie
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Im adjusting to the size of the gun not.my first 10 ga but its bigger than the nef 10 ga.I like how the bps takes features from the ithaca 37 and win model 12 . Still im planning to get a lcsmith sxs 10 in july hopefully.I should have those 40-50 hulls empty by second week of july. As I will be off work for 9 days vacation I will be doing alot of shooting
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I have had a Browning BPS stalker 10ga since they came out in the late 80's. It was a huge improvement in killing geese with steel shot over a 12ga. Add me to the list of people who think steel BBB is the best steel shot for large geese, better than T's and better than BB. Steel 1's and 2's were best for ducks. I always found Federal 1 5/8 ounce loads more effective then the Winchester and Remington 1 3/4 ounce loads. I am aware some faster lighter loadings are available now but I have not used them. With a 26" barrel mine is loud and bright muzzle flash if I shoot in the first minute of legal shooting on an overcast day. If I shoot 15 or more shells through it within a couple of hours it continues to kill on one end but starts to wound on the other. A good functional waterfowling gun, I like the safety position, but would prefer side ejection for easier loading a single shell when there is crip and the gun is empty. I am finding the 2 7/8 10ga very effective too and am enjoying a Parker NH and Remington 1894 10 bores. Have fun!

I am guessing you know this, don't shoot steel shot or run any factory 3 1/2 shells through that LC Smith if you get it. You'll need to reload per the Sherman Bell chart or buy RST's.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes I know 2 7.8" only in the old ones. I seen a lc smith today when I went the antique car museum. Beautiful gun sure enough also seen abe Lincoln herse which was creepy lol.Im now looking at a ithaca Lewis 10 ga in great condition. I was going to send a check out for it today but had a change of.plans spent all day doing family stuff
Unread 06-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

milton ive been hung up on those 10 ga s since i was a boy and thats been a while back...dont have a pump 10 but have a old ithaca mag 10 it too hurts and wounds after a box or so... charlie
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yeah I like the 10 ga and.hope.to reach my.8 ga goal. Its ashame the modern industry hasn't done justice to the 10 ga caliber. It has a rich history to like with Wyatt warp & Doc holiday. Though I want a 8 still. When I shot my tens I tuck my.arm atleast the.elbow all.the.way into my ribs and it.feels.like.it.takes.away.some of.the recoil.