Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Sometimes the internet is amazing..or scary (parker trojan)
Unread 07-08-2018, 01:46 AM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default Sometimes the internet is amazing..or scary (parker trojan)

Over the years I have amassed a nice pile of DGJ back issues. From time to time I like to flip back through them. Started reading through them back about 2 weeks ago. This has resulted in my Parker collection (which had once been at a high of 4, but had dwindled to 2 very nice DHs in an effort to improve the quality), increasing by 4 guns in the past 10 days. Madnees strikes us at tines I guess.

Anyway, one of these guns really came out of left field on me. I was reading Ron Kirby's excellent article on the Parker Trojan in I believe a 1995 issue of DGJ. This reminded me how much I liked the Trojan I had procured from Wildwood guns and owned for a few years before trading it off. So to gunbroker I went....

I found a trojan alright or it found me. Not technically a family gun, but dang close. I found a 1914 trojan 12ga, with rib extension which I think is cool, that belonged to my grandfather's hunting buddy who was also my mother and uncle's godfather. The way this connection was made and the man who owned it would make a good parker pages article someday, but for tonight, I have purchased a decent but rough (most of its visual issues were present 45 + years ago when he still had it) 12 ga trojan made in 1914 that has a neat family connection off of gunbroker of all places.

The question now is who kills me 1st, my banker or my wife....4 parkers in 10 days.....madness...but good madness
Unread 07-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Great find! Now it might be a good time to review Gene Hill's articles on getting a new gun home without notice by the "Chairman of the Board" aka his wife. Gaining ownership is key but now the real strategy comes into play and there are probably some masters of the art on this forum......but then in all fairness, there are many great ladies who understand the value of a great Parker and why the weaker sex, us, need such items in life! Regardless, sounds like a priceless find.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

I have a soft spot for the Parker Trojan. I bought one, many years ago, just to fill a niche in my modest collection. A clean, honest little 20 gauge. One day, I took it out and discovered that not only did it handle and carry nicely, it killed quail with authority.
I'm considering taking it North this fall to try out on Idaho grouse.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post

The question now is who kills me 1st, my banker or my wife....4 parkers in 10 days.....madness...but good madness
Sorry, Bill, but for the readers of your post the real question is: "When do we see and hear about the other three you've acquired?"

My guess is that your wife already knows about your addiction, and obviously you have the argument that your one time 4 gun holding has just returned. Hey, you did not increase your collection in numbers, it's just a kind of equilibrium.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
Jacob Duke
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a good friend who would have any new acquisitions shipped to a friend. The recipient would then bring it over and say loudly enough for his now ex-wife to hear “thanks for letting me borrow this.” He claims that it worked well. Since my wife is an accountant, I haven’t been brave enough to try it.
Jacob Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Sorry, Bill, but for the readers of your post the real question is: "When do we see and hear about the other three you've acquired?"

My guess is that your wife already knows about your addiction, and obviously you have the argument that your one time 4 gun holding has just returned. Hey, you did not increase your collection in numbers, it's just a kind of equilibrium.
It's like an old friend of mine told his wife, when she started cranking on him about his gun/shooting hobby.
He was an old Frenchman, and always started this type of response with index finger raised.
"Look", he said. "I don't go to bars, I don't chase women, I buy guns, and I shoot".
His lovely and understanding wife conceded the point.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Bill, All I can say is, Where are the other 3 we need to see them, makes me feel better when I see other guys with Parkeritis. I have been known to receive guns shipped to me from folks without an FFL, somehow those guns ended up in my gun room Hmmm?
Gary Carmichael Sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post

Well with this acquisition of 4, the numbers are actually up to 6.
Unread 07-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr View Post
Bill, All I can say is, Where are the other 3 we need to see them, makes me feel better when I see other guys with Parkeritis. I have been known to receive guns shipped to me from folks without an FFL, somehow those guns ended up in my gun room Hmmm?
All in due time Gary.