Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Ruger Gold Label
Unread 06-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Ruger Gold Label

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Handled one?
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
CHE
PGCA Member

Member Info

kirk, I had one, the gun would cock the triggers well after the shells ejected but you had to open it up really hard beyond normal resulting in closing the gun after you inserted new shells and not firing. I sent it back to Ruger two times, first time they said they fixed it ,but still the same. second time they said that's the way it is. I got rid of it! check yours out before you buy.
tom leshinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom leshinsky For Your Post:
Unread 07-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

My friend Trigg in Anchorage has at least two of them and likes them a lot. The fit and finish is nice enough and I think his seem to handle well. He shoots them as well or better than any of his other guns, and he has a good variety, including Parkers, Lebeaus, Rizzini?, and other European guns I can't even recall. Nice ones though. No junk. I've not seen him have any issues with his Gold Labels.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think you would have seen alot more of Ruger gold labels if they would have come out with a production 20 gauge. I had heard they had issues with some of them but Ruger's biggest problem was the price point and margins with a quality american made sxs's. They just dabbled in it and determined it was not profitable to produce the gold label. There just aren't many modern american and quality made sxs's that you can get at price point of about $2k. I really like their O/U's alot, but not a big fan of their selective safety. Have a sporting clay's O/U that is a great gun and enjoy shooting.

If I was looking for a 12 gauge modern sxs made by an american company, a Gold Label would get strong consideration from me. That gun was made for pheasant hunting. It was not too heavy the one I handled and would be a decent grouse gun with ability to change out the chokes. One almost followed me home once, but ultimately decided that it would more than likely just sit in the gun case looking back at me too much with me going to other guns in arsenal first.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I can get one locally that’s been shot but pretty much looks NIB for quite a bit less than they’re selling for online.

Seems they were announced years in adavance, finally came out, and production pretty much stopped right as it started with only a few thousand made. Ruger lost money on each one they sold. Won a bunch of awards when it was released though.
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yep. I also don't think they support them very much if at all either. The receiver is not very beefy like say on a Parker where the flats and lugs are but it is made from stainless steel so its tough and light. Problem is with those guns if it has issues not a lot of folks know how to work on them. If it is problem free gun then it could be a great field gun. Not certain I would want to cycle thousands of rounds shooting sporting clays and not expect some issues trying to get it fixed.

There are certain newer made side by sides that are pretty good guns but are only around for a short time since they can't grab enough market penetration. Ruger did get the gun runners and shooting editors worked up with it and they all were frothing at the mouth for the 20 gauge model. In my opinion Ruger messed up royally and should have put efforts for the 20 gauge first. I think that would have kicked off a new emergence of decent priced american made sxs interest. Of course I could be wrong.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
Dave Erickson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I bought a used Gold Label with the PG stock. The gun gave me no problems and I shot it quite well for the few years I had it. When I heard Ruger was no longer supporting them I got out. I suppose a good gunsmith could keep one running, but I didn't want to go there.

I'll always think fondly of the gun for one year I threw it in the truck as an afterthought on a South Dakota trip. I felt a little foolish bringing three shotguns along, but as luck would have it my two older 16 gauge guns went down with quirky mechanical problems, so the Gold Label had to step up and carry the trip.
Dave Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Erickson For Your Post: