Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #31
mikael_kjaer
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hope i'll be abel to finds its way to Denmark.
I found a Company named "The Schlueter Company" in Fresno it is over 80 years old and produces Dairy products. And as Mark tells the gun was ordered by Lewald and Schlueter Company in Fresno in 1917, Is there a way to find back to old company names in USA and see if they are still exist?

More an more proud Parker owner.

Mikael
mikael_kjaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #32
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Mikael,

I did a quick Google search and found Lewald and Schlueter Company Fresno, CA. The link is a book reader from Google which talks about a convention of the Pacific Retail Hardware Association February 9, 1901. http://books.google.com/books?id=H6f...page&q&f=false

I did not read the whole book but this should answer your question that Lewald and Schlueter was a hardware store where your Parker was bought. It is most likely now out of business. Most privately owned hardware stores are a rarity even today. Home Depot and Lowe's pretty much ran them to the ground and they can't compete with the big retailers.

Here is an interesting twist about your Parker.
In a previous post in this thread you stated that your son Mikkel is going to Fresno for a student exchange program. I assume it is Fresno, CA the same city your Parker is lettered to have been purchased from!

Since you are coming to the states to visit Fresno, you could go to the local library there and do research on this old hardware store and maybe you will discover more in the library's archives than you could by searching the net.

The odds of you acquiring this fine Parker at a flea market and also your son going to study student exchange in the same city is pretty remarkable!

Congrats and keep us posted if you find anything more.

Regards,

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael_kjaer View Post
I hope i'll be abel to finds its way to Denmark.
I found a Company named "The Schlueter Company" in Fresno it is over 80 years old and produces Dairy products. And as Mark tells the gun was ordered by Lewald and Schlueter Company in Fresno in 1917, Is there a way to find back to old company names in USA and see if they are still exist?

More an more proud Parker owner.

Mikael
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #33
mikael_kjaer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Frank

I am still surprised find such a treassure the way i did, but on the other hand, when i talk with other hunters nobody know what a Parker is and stand for. Everybody knoes what a Parker and Hale is. Many people have tryed to correkt me when i tell the story "You must mean a Parker and Hale" they say. So i think nobody of the those who have had the gun in Denmark have had the knowledge of thr history and value of the gun, including my self. After i fund this webside I could not belive that I was in possession of a gun which is so rare.
And as you writhe about the odds, is is remarkabl. But never the less, it is the story so far.
I'm affraid that the way to find it's history, is to find the conection betwen "Lewald and Schleuters Company" and Europe or Denmark.
I wonder if the gun is ordered by eighter Lewald or Schleuters, to one of them selfs or it's a third person who has ordred the gun through Lewald and Schleuter?

I have tryed to find a way serach in Libraries and company rekords, but have not found anything yet, so if anybody have any information or knowledge about the company let me know.

Best regards

Mikael
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #34
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What do you hunt over there? ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #35
mikael_kjaer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi

Deer, ducks, goose and hare those are common game, there is also different small birds pigeon, snipe and pheasant. There is mor but i cant't translate them, when i try they all are snipes. we have a growing population of Reed deers (in danish Krondyr) they are in our hunting calendar, but some places the hunters ars proteckting them, but thats only whit rifle.
In Denmark you can't hunt every were. You can buy the right to hunt from the owner of the land. If you lucky you will be invited to hunt in state forrest.
Good hunting areas in Denmark is very expencive to rent, some says that hunting is a sport for the rich people.
Still hunting on most sea and beach is free, but there are many areas there are protected.

Best regard

Mikael
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikael_kjaer For Your Post:
Unread 11-06-2019, 05:23 AM   #36
Gary Bodrato
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mikael, this may amount to nothing. Working on the assumption the initials read correctly are PCH and again assuming the H is one of Denmarks more common names, Four gentlemen born in Denmark named Peter C Hansen resided in Fresno California as listed on the US 1920 census records, All born in the mid to late 1800's in Denmark which would put their ages in the 40's or 50's about right to buy a very top line parker, One apparently had a son Neils also born in Denmark who is listed on the US ARMY enlistment records 1942 living in Fresno. Could Neils have Moved back after WWII ? just a shot in the dark, Good Hunting
Gary Bodrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #37
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,720 Posts

Mikael, Francis made a good observation about General Patton, his Parkers, and the possibility that an Army officer brought the gun to Denmark during World War 2. Actually, Patton's 20 gauge Parker is not a CHE, but a 30" barrel DHE like yours, made about the same time. I will look up Patton's serial number and report back. OK, here goes, Patton's DHE 20 is serial number 167,782, made in 1916. In 1916, Patton served under another Parker owner, General Pershing, on the search for outlaw Pancho Villa in Mexico. Another PGCA member and I test fired Patton's 20 gauge and took pictures for "The Parker Story" at our gun club in Maryland, USA. His Parker is safely in the hands of a skeet shooting buddy of mine, a Patton relative who does not share his surname. You might consider purchasing "The Parker Story", the best and most detailed gun book ever written, in my opinion. Available through the Double Gun Journal for $320, less from private sources.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: