Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Finally bought a PGCA membership
Unread 08-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default Finally bought a PGCA membership

Well I finally upgraded from forum associate .
I still got a few months till I will be in the market for a Parkers but I figured it would be worth the membership to be able to read in the PGCA members only sections .

Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot .

Having PGCA under the name does look nicer than forum associate as someone else had said .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

What are you looking for in a Parker? I have in the past bought several nice Parkers through here. One of my favorites is a GH 20 with 30 in ch Damascus barrels.
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
What are you looking for in a Parker? I have in the past bought several nice Parkers through here. One of my favorites is a GH 20 with 30 in ch Damascus barrels.
Well Im looking at a 8 gauge lifter G grade .
But its really depends how much I can save up by the end of November when the peanut harvest is over .

A #5 frame or #6 frame hammer gun in either 10 or 8 gauge .
I doubt I will be able to spend over 4900$ Though I suppose I could always just wait and save longer .

I swear that G frame 8 ga has been up for sale since 2011 .
Theres another 8 gauge Parkers listed but the grade is not and the barrels appear to be missing 4"s . The ungraded one is listed in the Parker book as 34" but it now has 30" . Im not against cut barrels as long as its reflected in the price . However the overall condition looks to be better than the G grade .

So im really just hoping to find a large frame hammergun in the 3500-4995$ range . I figure thats about what ill be able to put back come around November and have found some at dealers around that range .
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Welcome aboard! When I bought my 8 bore, I saved and looked for a while. I passed up lower priced 8 bores and finally got what I really want and am glad I did.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

[QUOTE
Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard Milton. I believe this group knows where every Parker in the world is, well nearly. Post your wants in the WTB and you might be surprised. Best...
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Welcome aboard! When I bought my 8 bore, I saved and looked for a while. I passed up lower priced 8 bores and finally got what I really want and am glad I did.
I was talking to a gun dealer who handles quite a few Parkers about 8 gauges .
He said they are pretty hard to sell . I guess a few factors come into play .
The restrictions on what you can hunt with them . Most people dont care for the weight and probably other things . Ive had some heavy 10 ga 3.5" guns before .I dont feel I will mind the extra 2lbs of weight . From what I can tell really the only bird you can hunt with them is turkeys . Which works out fine because a friend of my dads has alot of hunting land and he doesnt turkey hunt .

Im 26 and hope to get many years of memories out of what I end up buying . A double 8 gauge has been my dream gun since I was a teenager and now I am close to being able to actually afford one .

I figure that Parker 8 gauge wont go anywhere since its been sitting there for almost 10 yrs it seems .
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
[QUOTE
Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot.
Welcome aboard Milton. I believe this group knows where every Parker in the world is, well nearly. Post your wants in the WTB and you might be surprised. Best...[/QUOTE]

Thats the plan once I have the amount put back . God willing we dont suffer another Hurricane like last year . Pretty much ruined our harvest season but by all account that one was a oddity .
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I was talking to a gun dealer who handles quite a few Parkers about 8 gauges .
He said they are pretty hard to sell . I guess a few factors come into play .
The restrictions on what you can hunt with them . Most people dont care for the weight and probably other things . Ive had some heavy 10 ga 3.5" guns before .I dont feel I will mind the extra 2lbs of weight . From what I can tell really the only bird you can hunt with them is turkeys . Which works out fine because a friend of my dads has alot of hunting land and he doesnt turkey hunt .

Im 26 and hope to get many years of memories out of what I end up buying . A double 8 gauge has been my dream gun since I was a teenager and now I am close to being able to actually afford one .

I figure that Parker 8 gauge wont go anywhere since its been sitting there for almost 10 yrs it seems .

If it goes anywhere there will be more
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
If it goes anywhere there will be more
That is true , seems like though more hammerless 8 gauges pop up for sale than hammer guns by Parker anyhow . I found a Birmingham made 8 ga but the proof marks on it are kind of worrisome .

I think Pugs has a #4 frame 10 ga , the frame isnt listed but its a hammer gun at 10 3/4lbs . But at the price I think I could find a #5 or #6 frame . Also by the time I can buy maybe there will be more to look at in the market . Its always good to be keep other options open I think .
Unread 08-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Some significant big bore collectors are, unfortunately, no longer with us and that has contributed to prices going down as of late.

Eventually, I would like to add a Quality 2 lifter and Quality 2 toplever 8 to my collection, but have some other goals for the moment, the current one being to enjoy the ones I have and get a few repaired.