Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #21
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I'm sure I am the only one with this opinion but I see sitting on point as a result of a flaw in the dog's training.

Mr. Dean I would say part of what you said is true and to a certain extent many would be in violent agreement to your statement. That's almost like saying all plane crashes are caused by human error.

A lot of it is because owner/trainers fail to connect with each dog and learn its personalities, traits, disposition and yes that falls in category of flaw in how a dog is trained and for certain reasons. Seen many a dog ruined from too much training, lack of training, and flat out wrong training.

However they aren't machines and they are all a little different. Contrary to that have also seen certain dogs do things or develop habits all on their own.

There is a great story about River Oaks Corky, one of the greatest field trial labradors in history of the sport. Early in his training he had lots of eagerness, anxiety and aggressive approach in retrieves and one day developed a whine when being sent. It was all his and hard to break. They did teach him to be quiet and had command for it. Without fail early on if they did not give quiet command he would whine. Many years went by and won just about everything and he never really whined much and it was infrequent. Finals of large trial handler forgot/neglected/did not think he would do it, and did not give quiet command before sending, but sure enough he let out a whine on the final retrieve. Some dogs just own things in spite of what anything they are taught or not taught.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 03-15-2018 at 03:48 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote