Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Interesting reading
Unread 09-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Frank Childrey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Interesting reading

Over the summer I read two books and re-read a third that may be of interest. The Invaders by Pat Shipman discusses how home sapiens (us) wiped out the Neanderthals by being more intelligent, using projectile weapons, and domesticating "wolf-dogs" to protect their camps and caves and to surround and hold prey. I never really thought of myself as an "apex predator" or an "invasive species," but that's what we're labeled. Outlaw Machine by Brock Yates discusses the Harley-Davidson as a purely American product and sociological phenomenon. The study is way better, and deeper, than your typical writing about motor vehicles. The Shooting Party by Isabel Colgate treats a driven game shoot at Sir Randolph Nettleby's estate just prior to WW1. The book (and the movie) are rich in detail. In the book, the exchange between Sir Randolph (James Mason in the movie) and Cornelius Cardew (John Geilgud) is funny in print and absolutely hilarious in a dry British way on film. Anyway, I can recommend all three of the books, and, if you liked "Gosford Park," you'll love "The Shooting Party."
Frank Childrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Frank Childrey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daggone it . . . that should be homo sapiens . . . can you say Freudian Slip . . .
Frank Childrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

I've worked with Brock Yates - founder of the Cannonball Rally - back in his Car & Driver days. He's a great fellow. He also wrote a good book on the demise of the Detroit auto industry. Sadly, very accurate. It could be the same end for Harley as Baby Boomers drop off...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

A man named Vince Mitchell was the "technical advisor" for The Shooting Party. I went to Britain to buy a Lab puppy from him about 3 years ago. He was a legendary participant in British Field Trials. (Incidentally she has turned out to be a great gun dog).
Unfortunately, at the age of 83, he was convicted of pedophelia, and his golden years probably aren't.
Unread 09-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Homo habalis was not entirely wiped out. Traces of their dna exist in modern decendents of europeans and others. Especially in tuscany which is yet unexplained. At least that is what i have been told.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,534 Times in 3,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
I've worked with Brock Yates - founder of the Cannonball Rally - back in his Car & Driver days. He's a great fellow. He also wrote a good book on the demise of the Detroit auto industry. Sadly, very accurate. It could be the same end for Harley as Baby Boomers drop off...
I have a close personal friend who's family owns a Harley Dealership . She tells me Harley is going thru another change in their marketing strategy . And basically they want all their dealerships owned by mega dealers that would fall in the same category as some of the big car dealers that have 6-12 dealerships . So in essence they're running the little family owned dealerships out of business . Boils down to sell it or loose it !
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Having spent my entire working career at the dealership level, it is a plan of failure. The mega-dealership conglomerates will continue to sell the new ones and will service them only as long as the vehicle remains under warranty... but the best of the factory-trained technicians will continue to jump ship, start their own very successful repair shops and used-vehicle dealerships and will eat the 'mega's' lunch! Been there - Done that.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

... He also wrote a good book on the demise of the Detroit auto industry. Sadly, very accurate. It could be the same end for Harley as Baby Boomers drop off...

My thinking behind this was that the corporate stupidity that killed The Big Three appears to have extended itself to Harley.

What's more, I should never post before morning coffee...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

I humbly disagree with your observation John. I see lots of younger guys (and gals) riding new Harley's. Those who can afford them (or not) will ride a Harley. Harley Davidson is the status symbol of the motor-cycle minded person, young or old.
And... these days you don't need someone to follow you in a van or pick-up truck. Today's Harley is very dependable.
Choppers are fading though.

Hey Suponski, show us that picture of you on your chopper please.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

That I would like to see.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote