Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 06-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

He has a letter as stated in his opening statement. A great little Parker with years of enjoyment ahead for you. Congratulations!
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
Bill Jacobs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks to all. Yes, I do have a letter. It states that the gun was ordered by Schoverling Daly & Gales of New York in October of 1916. The order was for PH Grade with Twist steel barrels, 28 inches, with RH barrel choked modified and LH barrel choked full. It had a pistol grip stock. As you can see, the barrels are now 26 inches, Vulcan steel, and the chokes are about I.C. and Modified.

As far as the history of the gun after it left Parker, there are no records. It came to me from the estate of a veterinarian who apparently (according to his grandson who sold the gun to me) took firearms in barter for veterinary services. He had at least five Parkers that I saw and many other nice guns. Some were in better shape than others, as this fellow obviously used his shotguns.

When I bought the gun, the ribs were separating and needed attention. Ironically, I am a gunsmith. I am not, however, a double gun gunsmith! I do mostly rebarreling and chambering of bolt action rifles. Through a roundabout network of smiths that I know, I ended up sending the gun to Bill Schwarz in Georgia, and he did the work on the gun. I am very pleased with the piece and can't wait to use it, though upcoming rotator cuff surgery is going to knock me out of using it for this Fall's season

Bill Jacobs
Bill Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
He has a letter as stated in his opening statement. A great little Parker with years of enjoyment ahead for you. Congratulations!
Harry:
So true, and plain as day.

Bill:

Between the letter and the veterinarian's estate and then sale to you, that's some really good history. Thanks for relating it.

REC