Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Market Gun?
Unread 02-26-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,941 Times in 361 Posts

Default Market Gun?

I looked at a rather unusual 12 gauge side by side today. On the upper tang where one would normally see a safety, the selector in the rearward position revealed the word "Double". I was told that by selecting that position both barrels would be fired at once. The shotgun has very heavy barrels and at the muzzle they are very FAR apart, kind of like a Cape gun. I am posting the photos I took today at the gun counter. I don't feel the shotgun is worth much but I'm curious what you think. Features I noticed were ejectors, Greener type safety and a very stout, densely grained stock and Belgian proofed.

Belgian-1.jpg

Belgian-2.jpg

Belgian-3.jpg

Belgian-4.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belgian.jpg (507.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Belgian-5.jpg (503.8 KB, 2 views)
Bruce P Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 2,013 Posts

Interesting, gun looks not to have been used much at all. Case colors are still strong.
Unread 02-26-2021, 10:50 PM   #3
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

That looks like a very nice gun to me--only fault I see is the buggered top lever screw. My first thought of the muzzles was is this possibly a paradox gun for ball? On further reflection, I kind of doubt it given the choke stamps. Others will know far more than I.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,064 Posts

Is it just me or does that stock have a TON of drop?
Unread 02-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #5
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

I agree with you Phil. And why would you want to blow both barrels at the same time? Perhaps five feet from a Grizzly and take him right under the chin? I'm going back down there this morning to look at a Ithaca Deluxe Featherweight in 20 gauge with a solid rib. I watched them buy it. Aside from the "Ventilated Poly Choke" it's a nice one. I can pull that one out of there for under $300. I tried to talk to them about Parker Brothers but they don't speak Parker. He said, "Parker Hale"?
Unread 02-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

that sounds like a interesting gun...hope you find out about the wide barrels as why it was made this way....I have a over and under 12 ga with 43 1/2 inch barrels it is a 3 1/2 inch magnum...it was a 10 ga 3 1/2 inch gun they sleved new liners in the barrels and chambers...and if you pull the front trigger first both barrels goes off but if you pull the back trigger first and then the front trigger every thing works as it should...you want forget to pull the back trigger first ....even at 13 1/2 lbs if you pull that front trigger first with 2 turkey loads it will knock you off a stool if you be setting on it when you pull that front trigger...I know it kicked me off my seat when I pulled that front trigger the first time.......hope you find out about the wide barrels....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

The gun has a solid 5" of drop. Not for me. It could be sleeved for a double rifle, 375 H&H or something interesting. However regulating the barrels would be a big task.
However, the Ithaca Model 37R Deluxe Featherweight in 20 gauge came home with me. I agreed to $350. Manufactured in 1960. Honest wear, but I like it. I may put an Ithaca "Sunburst Pad" on it. Photos of the wood:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ithaca-2.jpg (522.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Ithaca-1.jpg (500.7 KB, 2 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Unread 03-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,064 Posts

Wow! Nice wood!
Request:
Unread 03-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #9
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Request:

I just won the eBay auction for an original new "old stock" Ithaca "Sunburst" Recoil Pad. Paid the same as the reproduction ones and free shipping. Thinking I should remove the stock and send it out for professional installation. We have a local guy who uses a jig but I haven't seen any of his completed work. Any recommendations for someone here that's highly regarded for the task?
Thank you.