Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 02-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,246 Times in 1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Not so. I also have used Cheddites, maybe 40,000, and now for reasons have gone to Win primers and have no problems with primers falling out. Two of my old SxS hammer shotguns [1873 Remington and a Parker made sometime in the 1880s ] will pierce Cheddite primers but not Win primers. I don't feel like paying for new firing pins, so back to the Win's.
Excuse me but "not so" to what in my post? I'm now on my 7th 5000 count sleeve of Cheddites and never had one fall out of a Gun Club, AA, Nitro 27, Federal paper or Gold Medal plastic. Also it's hard to argue with a micrometer. Maybe you can tell us more about your reloads?

Primer piercing? That can happen if the firing pin is too long or the tip isn't profiled or it's been gas cut. Yep Winchester primers might be less prone to that but I've seen it happen with Wins and other brands.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Sorry, but while Cheddite primers seem OK with modern guns, they often pierce with older classic doubles that have firing pins intended to function with older ammunition that had more deeply positioned primers.

You can alter the gun. Or you can simply switch to Winchester or Federal primers. IF you can find any these days!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 02-15-2021, 11:44 PM   #13
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

John,

I seem to have a different problem with win209s. When I load with them, the English guns want to stick on opening. When I switched to cheddites I don't have any issues. Everything else is the same (powder and charge, wad, and shot weight). I don't know why the win209s didn't work. This wasn't just 1 gun, but 3 different guns.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
John,

I seem to have a different problem with win209s. When I load with them, the English guns want to stick on opening. When I switched to cheddites I don't have any issues. Everything else is the same (powder and charge, wad, and shot weight). I don't know why the win209s didn't work. This wasn't just 1 gun, but 3 different guns.

Ken
not an unusual issue with some guns - my Super Fox only sticks with Winchester primers - reloads or factory rounds
Unread 02-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #15
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

In follow-up here I'll say that many Fox guns are hard or almost impossible to open after firing with Winchester primed shells. Yes you'll find an occasional Fox that works OK with Wins. On the other hand a switch to Cheddite (as used in factory RST shells) or Fiocchi or Remington primers will usually make for an easily-opened Fox. The tip of the Fox hammer is the "firing pin" and since the hammers are not rebounding, the tip(s) will drag in the primer until cleared as barrels are opened and hammers recocked. Modern primers are not like old time ones made of relatively soft copper alloy. Net, since I'm mainly a Fox guy that's why I use the three primers cited almost exclusively for all my vintage double-guns.

Then there's my VHE 20 Parker that locks up after firing when using Federal shells; the first time I fired it I had to take off the forend and force the barrels open. Quite a scene on its debut while shooting with my sporting clays gang. But that Parker opens easily with Remington and RST (Cheddite-primed) factory shells. Now, a sensationalist might say Parkers and Federals don't like each other but I know many Parker owners that use or reload with Federals with no problems. I guess what I'm saying here is that one or two data points (or guns) don't make for a solid conclusion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

True Frank. Every gun is different but, as you know, Parker firing pins are the same - they are the tip of the hammer.

Possibly removing the hammers and polishing the tips (firing pins) to make them more drag-free could be a solution...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #17
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Dean, that would probably work but so far I've avoided doing that because the VHE's screw slots are pristine. "Never a screw turned" as one gent used to advertise in the old Shotgun News. Ha ha. And since I don't use Fed primers I'm OK with the shells and primers noted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #18
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

So I hope I am not inappropriately changing the topic but...being new to the Parker world...here's my follow up question...if you have to fight a bit to open the action after firing a round isn't that doing harm to the Parker?
The reason I ask...after purchasing my first Parker a couple years ago I took it to SD to work on some pheasants. I ran out of my handloads (which were loaded to a spec recommended on a discussion board here) and substituted a factory ammo (now can't remember brand or data) and started having to exert a little bit of pressure to open the action. I stopped using the factory ammo because I thought it might be harming the shotgun. Is that a legitimate concern for these Parkers?
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #19
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pope View Post
So I hope I am not inappropriately changing the topic but...being new to the Parker world...here's my follow up question...if you have to fight a bit to open the action after firing a round isn't that doing harm to the Parker?
The reason I ask...after purchasing my first Parker a couple years ago I took it to SD to work on some pheasants. I ran out of my handloads (which were loaded to a spec recommended on a discussion board here) and substituted a factory ammo (now can't remember brand or data) and started having to exert a little bit of pressure to open the action. I stopped using the factory ammo because I thought it might be harming the shotgun. Is that a legitimate concern for these Parkers?
Did the factory ammo happen to have steel heads rather than brass? Budget ammo like Remington Gun Clubs, Federal Top Gun, Winchester Universal etc use steel hulls and some guns can be fussy with them whereas premium hulls like Win AA's, Remington STS, Federal Gold Medal use brass.
Unread 02-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #20
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

It would have been Winchester, rem or federal and definitely had brass not steel. Sorry but I just can't remember which one or the specs. The gun did not require a lot of muscle to open but it didn't fall open either. At the time I wasn't thinking primer issue but worried too much pressure was causing some kind of damage. However, based on your question I will now go back to my ammo closet and see if I can figure out exactly what i was using.
I have since used the Parker hunting with hand loads for hunting and super light factory loads at the skeet range- no problems...
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote