Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #21
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Craig - Folks on eBay will sell you empty shot bags for $40. Can't imagine what it would cost with shot in it
Unread 12-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #22
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,861 Times in 4,750 Posts

Craig, what do you need big lead shot in large quantities for? I have some and would be willing to trade it straight up for 7 1/2 or 8. No shipping. I live about 10 miles above the bridge, or 10 miles east of the ferry. I'm not sure what I have. PM me.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #23
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,530 Times in 3,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Craig - Folks on eBay will sell you empty shot bags for $40. Can't imagine what it would cost with shot in it
A friend bought on Ebay what was supposed to be a 25 pound bag of shot 8's or 9's I forget which anyway he rolled in the shop with it one day carrying it as if it weighed 25 pounds then tossed it to me . The people put it on Ebay as a 25 pound back of shot , turns out it was a shot bag alright filled up with shelled corn or something like that . Needless to say he sent it back for a refund .
Unread 12-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #24
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Craig, what do you need big lead shot in large quantities for? I have some and would be willing to trade it straight up for 7 1/2 or 8. No shipping. I live about 10 miles above the bridge, or 10 miles east of the ferry. I'm not sure what I have. PM me.
Thanks for the offer but I'd rather add over swapping .

3 or 4 bags of this or the other I don't call large quantaties but granted for 4's and 6's thats more than the usual shotgunner around here will need . But to me large means dealing in 1/4 or 1/2 ton quantities . When I was doing the competitive skeet/trap thing 30 or so years ago I'd head up to Fairfax R&G and Jim Tyrell would hook me up with about 40 bags mostly 9's and 8's with 4 or 5 bags of 7 1/2 thrown in for good measure . And that would get me through about 2/3's of the trap/skeet season .
Unread 12-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #25
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Remedied the shot issue today . Ordered two bags magnum 4’s three bags magnum 6’s and s single bag of magnum 7’s all Peruvian Starshot . Could’ve gotten Lawrence for about five bucks more s bag but thought better of it . Not sure why I ordered the 7’s as I’ve never tried them before but what the heck .
Unread 02-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #26
Peter A Van Tassell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
I agree that the first part of the video he comes across as whining but at least he recognized that it would be more effective to put out a long statement on YouTube vs a long statement in print which half the audience probably wouldn’t be able to comprehend. I’ll give him a “10” for form and a “C” for content.
I agree. But I would add, it may be a good idea to double check all this by going to the SEC (www.sec.gov) and finding their latest financial statements and projections. There may be some clues there, as to what is really going on. Stock symbol is VSTO.
Peter A Van Tassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #27
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

There has been no mention of the business practice called "Just In Time" production technique which reduces cost by reducing inventory. When demand is steady and predictable it works fine but when demand spikes as it has there is no cushion to deal with it sitting in warehouses and no additional raw material on hand to ramp up production. JIT production is a fairly new manufacturing practice and ammo shortages are a somewhat recent phenomenon. Politics and surging gun sales was simply the catalyst for a system that was operating on the thin edge of making just enough to meet demand. Don't hold your breath waiting for a CEO to tell you they were using a JIT model and it was overwhelmed.
Unread 02-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #28
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,969 Times in 1,420 Posts

Your exactly right Pete. Any disruption in the supply chain and your screwed.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 02-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #29
Peter A Van Tassell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
There has been no mention of the business practice called "Just In Time" production technique which reduces cost by reducing inventory. When demand is steady and predictable it works fine but when demand spikes as it has there is no cushion to deal with it sitting in warehouses and no additional raw material on hand to ramp up production. JIT production is a fairly new manufacturing practice and ammo shortages are a somewhat recent phenomenon. Politics and surging gun sales was simply the catalyst for a system that was operating on the thin edge of making just enough to meet demand. Don't hold your breath waiting for a CEO to tell you they were using a JIT model and it was overwhelmed.
Yep. when I was a kid, we used to call that kind of thing, "cheap". But Nowadays its all respectable like, and it's called "maximizing shareholder value".
Peter A Van Tassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter A Van Tassell For Your Post: