Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I did not see any Remington shells featured in his presentation. Could that be an indication of the future for Remington?
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #12
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Does anybody body here know if his number was accurate when he said "Seven million new shooters since March"? That seems high, but if true it is good news for the nation. But, tough for those who need ammo during the shortage.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #13
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

the NICS checks have been setting records - June 2020 hit a high of 3.9 million alone.

the last total I saw for 2020 was approaching 30 million total

I am not sure how they decide how many are first time buyers - that's not a question I have seen, and checking the history to see if you have purchased before would not be possible as far as I know

also- the number of checks does not correlate to actual purchases - unless they give a column on denied checks - and some states require a NICS check to transfer privately - so for example - in NY - the letter of the law requires a check for an inherited or otherwise transferred long gun if the recipient is not a parent, spouse or sibling.

also several states currently have at least one qualified alternative permit, which under the Brady Act allows the permit-holder, who has undergone a background check to obtain the permit, to purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer without a separate additional background check for that transfer. New York pistol permits were all that was needed at one point to purchase, you asked the issuing county to run a Brady check ( I think it was every 5 years) and then your carry permit allowed you to skip the call -

so again - NICS checks is not an accurate way to count sales
Unread 12-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #14
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Does anybody body here know if his number was accurate when he said "Seven million new shooters since March"? That seems high, but if true it is good news for the nation. But, tough for those who need ammo during the shortage.
I don’t know how anyone could calculate that number. Now, 7m firearms sold since March, I would believe. Im sure it’s been a great year for the firearms industry. Between those reacting to the orders to shelter in place in March; those in the suburbs intent on protecting themselves from the hoards of angry blacks intent on overtaking the suburbs; and, the usual “sky is falling” every time a Democrat is elected anywhere in the US it wound to surprise. Regardless. I doubt there are anywhere near 7 million new shooters in the US since March and I would question the reliability of any source that published that figure.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #15
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,245 Times in 1,201 Posts

So yesterday while shooting clays a bud told us he saw an ad on C-List addressed to clerks who work in the sporting section of Wal Marts, to commission one or more to give him a heads up if/when ammo will be stocked on shelves. A sign of the times I suppose. The Wal Mart stores have been pretty much devoid of all ammo for a month or more now, at least hereabouts.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
So yesterday while shooting clays a bud told us he saw an ad on C-List addressed to clerks who work in the sporting section of Wal Marts, to commission one or more to give him a heads up if/when ammo will be stocked on shelves. A sign of the times I suppose. The Wal Mart stores have been pretty much devoid of all ammo for a month or more now, at least hereabouts.
Last week I stopped in 5-different stores, including a BP and a Cabela’s, looking forward 20ga #6’s and the only 20 ga ammo I could find was #8. Rifle/pistol was even more scarce. Between production shut downs over the summer and fear mongering it’s not surprising that shortages exist.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #17
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pulis View Post
I did not see any Remington shells featured in his presentation. Could that be an indication of the future for Remington?
John,
The footage for the video was taken at the Federal ammo factory, near the corporate offices of Federal. The Remington factory is in Arkansas. Both businesses are owned by Vista Outdoors but there will not be co-mingling of the brands unless there is some joint project. The processes and parts by which loaded rounds are produced are similar, but distinct. Therefore one would not expect to see both brands' products in the same facility.
J. Scott Hanes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 12-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #18
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
Last week I stopped in 5-different stores, including a BP and a Cabela’s, looking forward 20ga #6’s and the only 20 ga ammo I could find was #8. Rifle/pistol was even more scarce. Between production shut downs over the summer and fear mongering it’s not surprising that shortages exist.
Pretty much the same situation here in NOVA, except you can't find anything in 12 or 20 ga. target; its all mostly steel waterfowl loads or #4-#6 lead if they have it at all.

Last edited by Kevin McCormack; 12-21-2020 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: additional information added
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #19
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post

I would add, ' You can't please some of the people, ever'
Me me me me
Unread 12-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #20
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
Pretty much the same situation here in NOVA, except you can't find anything in 12 or 20 ga. target; its all mostly steel waterfowl loads or #4-#6 lead if they have it at all.
I’m in the market for several bags of #4 and #6 shot and I found some but the shipping from AL is stupid expensive . The guy uses UPS only and six bags of shot we’re going to be $150 for the shipping alone . You could put it in three USPS Priority boxes and it would be $60 but you run the risk of it all disappearing in some deep dark hole in a Mail distribution center .