Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Ed Kettner Drilling?
Unread 02-13-2021, 12:43 AM   #1
Dusty Gonzalez
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Ed Kettner Drilling?

I hope this is ok to post here...

The gunstore I frequent has a very good condition Ed Kettner Drilling for sale. Its a hammer gun without much engraving and tagged as being 16x16 and 9.3x72. The stock and fore-end have a few dings and scratches but no cracks, wrist is checkered. Shotgun bores are shiny, rifle bore is a little dull probably from sitting on the shelf forever.
Price seems reasonable, but the catch is that you cant handle the guns because "the current state of things". They'll let you inspect them once you agree to buy them. Yes its stupid, this store also has 3 people check your 4473 before you walk out.

what should i look for while inspecting it? Ring the barrels/ dryfire?
Dusty Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Bass Pro pulled that same crap when they took over Cabelas. I knew several people working there, and they were frustrated by the policy. Eventually they wised up. I would walk in, wave a wad of cash under their nose, and tell them if you like it and can agree on price, you'll buy it, if not, it can sit there for another 10 yrs. Imagine trying to buy a car, but they wont let you drive it or even sit in it. You have the right ideas on checking it out.
Sounds like a neat little gun, if you get it, post some pictures.
Unread 02-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

There wes a pretty nice gun store on the south side of Concord, NH that I visited about 15 years ago. Behind the counter on the wall hung a very nice looking graded Fox small bore... but I wasn’t sure if it was in original condition or nicely restored. I asked the owner/partner if I could examine it more closely... same thing - he said “Unless you’re going to buy it it’s not coming off the wall.” I walked right out the door.

Kathy and I drove by there about this time last year and I was tickled to see the place was occupied by another unrelated business.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,419 Times in 4,595 Posts

It sounds like your business should be taken elsewhere.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

the 9.3 by 72r is not a real stout round about like a weak 30-30 round...but they are very accurate guns to about 200 yards....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

If it is a hammer gun look for definitive Nitro proof markings as well as the actual bullet diameter/length markings. A few years ago I was surprised to find out there are a few varients in size for the 9.3x72R, some of which will not chamber in older guns. Check chamber length on the shotgun barrels and look carefully for any bulge evidence on any barrels. With a purchase such as this I can understand that they may wish to defer any tire kickers but if you approach them with the proper personal protection (mask/rubber gloves) and they still will not allow you to properly examine the gun- leave and don't look back..
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #7
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

I wouldn't waste your time with them - find another gun/gunstore. This elitist/pecksniff response is a surety factor in them going out of business, per Dean's comments above. With the current economic/political/social stranglehold on guns and gun-related items at a fever pitch today, their posture is that of true morons - among a pathetic few who can't recognize the potential for some type of prosperity in all of this. They don't deserve your business.
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 02-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #8
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dusty,
I hunt with a Merkel 16b/ 9.3X72 Rimmed. Very adequate for deer here in Ohio. Check if you can the proof makings on the barrels to help make certain it is a the 9.3X72 R normal- Joe D is correct there were different sizes of this cartridge before it was normalized in Germany. You can get more info about this on the German Gun Collectors site or the German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com site.
Ask if they have snap caps to check if each barrel can be fired (most likely they will not have snap caps)
But it sounds like you need to look elsewhere.
Good luck!
Jim
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
Dusty Gonzalez
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McKee View Post
Dusty,
I hunt with a Merkel 16b/ 9.3X72 Rimmed. Very adequate for deer here in Ohio. Check if you can the proof makings on the barrels to help make certain it is a the 9.3X72 R normal- Joe D is correct there were different sizes of this cartridge before it was normalized in Germany. You can get more info about this on the German Gun Collectors site or the German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com site.
Ask if they have snap caps to check if each barrel can be fired (most likely they will not have snap caps)
But it sounds like you need to look elsewhere.
Good luck!
Jim
The biggest hang up i have is that this store catches A LOT of oddball stuff so, I frequent it very often. They always have very good prices on more niche guns as well. I'll see if i can persuade them to let me do a more thorough inspection
Dusty Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Two questions ! First what’s a 4473 ? Second will they hold the gun in front of you open it etc let you look close up as long as you don’t touch it ?