Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

The dreaded "Is shotshell reloading worth it" question
Unread 01-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Default The dreaded "Is shotshell reloading worth it" question

I use a turret press now for .45 for bullseye pistol and 9mm fun shooting, and a single stage for some occasional .38 and 30-30 reloading. ASSUMING (not wise) that we will eventually be able to get components, do folks find it economically worthwhile? I'm not looking to save a lot of money, just looking to not be in this situation again. Since I'm turning into a 16 and 28g guy, I find these harder to get, and expensive, and I would probably only load these. I would have to buy a press and tools but I'm thinking of the future and how to keep these Parkers fed a steady diet. I have enough shells now but find myself not shooting because I don't know when this will ease up. Finally, if anyone could recommend a good resource to learn about shot-shell reloading, whether a great video or good book I'd appreciate that.
Unread 01-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,388 Times in 595 Posts

Yes it is, the reason being that you can make what suits your needs. I load 3/4 oz. 12 ga. for skeet and 7/8 for everything else. 5/8 in 28 and 3/4 in 20. I am not aware of any common factory ammo in those weights. The cost factor is secondary to me. The fact that i can tailor the load to the gun and too who is shooting it is the important factor.

Women and young people starting out are recoil sensitive and with these loads i have not lost one yet to the '' it hurts''. Have seen a lot of them cured of shooting by clods who give them a light gun with max. loads
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Yes it is, the reason being that you can make what suits your needs. I load 3/4 oz. 12 ga. for skeet and 7/8 for everything else. 5/8 in 28 and 3/4 in 20. I am not aware of any common factory ammo in those weights. The cost factor is secondary to me. The fact that i can tailor the load to the gun and too who is shooting it is the important factor.

Women and young people starting out are recoil sensitive and with these loads i have not lost one yet to the '' it hurts''. Have seen a lot of them cured of shooting by clods who give them a light gun with max. loads
Thank you Daniel. I love RST shells, but try to get anything now, and in 16 and 28 it sure adds up. I just spent $385 with shipping for two flats of shells. The next order I'm going to wait for is $1500 and that's not a whole hell of a lot of ammo. Can you load 2 1/2" shells at home?
Unread 01-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Yes Andy, I reload 2 1/2” cheddite (RST empties) in 28, 20 and 16 gauge.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,388 Times in 595 Posts

Andy you can load anything you want, any length or crimp style. Shotgunworld reloading forum is a great resource for all loading machine malfunctions and adjustments. ALWAYS use reliable powder company data and follow the recipe.
On the other side you can if you want find max. loads for specialty loads like slugs, buckshot and non-toxic loads which are hard to obtain.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

Reloading really opens up the possibilities for low pressure and non toxic loads that you just are not going to find factory loaded, even in 12 and 20 gauge much less 10, 16, and 28. Reloading is a whole hobby in itself. I started out with a given to me mec jr 600 press in 12 gauge that spent a few years in a barn. I brought it back to life and started reloading and today I also own a 10, 20, 16, and 28 mec jr presses. It will definitely pay for itself in the gauges like 16 and 28 and it gives you an excuse to buy a whole assortment of new stuff for your reloading hobby.

"May the honkers fly low and slow."
Douglas Bandemer
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Buckley For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Oh boy, I think I'm going to end up getting into this now too. I appreciate the feedback. I think it's going to be a while to get any primers/shot..etc but I may order and wait for a 600jr to come in. I have been looking at presses and reviews on line today but open to any suggestions. I don't want to spend a ton, I have to save for my next Parker : ) I am not a prolific shooter but I found that when I reloaded handgun ammo I sure shot more.
Unread 01-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,149 Times in 622 Posts

Hi Andy,

This time last year I wasn’t too worried about reloading either, as you can see from the picture I have changed my mind. Like others, my main reason was customization and if you saved money it was a bonus(I do think I will save money reloading 410 shells). Now though, I think having the ability to make shells to shoot(when the shelves are empty) is important too.

Like Matt, I started out on a used 12 gauge MEC 600 Jr. Then someone gave me a used MEC progressive press in 28 gauge, but I didn’t like it(too much going on at once). When I discovered how much fun a Parker 10 gauge could be, I bought another MEC 600 Jr. in 10 gauge. In the past 3 months I bought a press in every other gauge I shoot(10-410) all MEC 600 Jrs. I set up the 28 gauge at my Dad’s place as that is all he shoots and he wanted to load some for the both of us.

Since you already reload for pistol and rifle it will be an easy transition. I have also been able to get components recently. I have bought powder locally. From online, I just received an order of 20 and 16 gauge wads and primed hulls. If you see primers certainly get them. I am not necessarily using my preferred recipes given I can’t find some powders, instead I am making due the components I can get. I am making it work and I am enjoying it as well.

I just bought my MEC600 Jr in 410 directly from MEC. I have gotten the others, from reloading companies and the 20 and 28 I bought in like new condition off Ebay. If you do buy one, don’t forget to order the short kit(people make their own, but I always take the lazy way out on this).

This forum is a great resource for reloading help as well. I have asked reloading question about every gauge Parker I have and our great members have pointed me in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReloadRoom.jpg (377.9 KB, 7 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 05:53 PM   #9
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,235 Times in 441 Posts

I started out wtih a Mec Jr in 12ga, for $85, then bought a second in 10Ga from someone on this forum for $85, bought the short kit (if your clever you can make the riser yourself) and a set of 16'Ga dies. So I have one set in 12 and one in 16. If I want 2 1/2" just put the riser in and make other adjustments. The are other requirements like powder and shot bushings.
Unread 01-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #10
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

I see the MEC Jr is a popular press. I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker and it's been great. I like simple. And besides, a bank of MEC Jr's look cool to boot. Thank you everyone!