Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 09-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,839 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Hmmm. I asked that question of a Conservation Officer who was helping me at a Hunter Ed class, and he said that there was no requirement for non-tox.
What can I say John, a Conservation Officer who doesn't know the law especially a recent change regarding non-toxic mandates doesn't know his job. This is a change to federal law, it applies to all states.

http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...he-depredation

Authority:
Migratory Bird Treaty Act, 40 Stat. 755 (16 U.S.C. 703); 95, 92 Stat. 3112 (16 U.S.C. 712(2)); Pub. L. 106-108, 113 Stat. 1491, Note following 16 U.S.C. 703.
2. Revise § 21.43 as follows:

§ 21.43 Depredation order for blackbirds, cowbirds, grackles, crows, and magpies.

You do not need a Federal permit to control the species listed in the table below if they are committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner that they are a health hazard or other nuisance:Show citation box
Blackbirds Cowbirds Grackles Crows Magpies
Brewer's (Euphagus cyanocephalus) Bronzed (Molothrus aeneus) Boat-tailed (Quiscalus major) American (Corvus brachyrhynchos) Black-billed (Pica hudsonia).
Red-winged (Agelaius phoeniceus) Brown-headed (Molothrus ater) Common (Quiscalus quiscula) Fish (Corvus ossifragus) Yellow-billed (Pica nuttalli).
Yellow-headed (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus) Shiny (Molothrus bonariensis) Great-tailed (Quiscalus mexicanus) Northwestern (Corvus caurinus)
Greater Antillean (Quiscalus niger)

(a) You must attempt to control depredation by species listed under this depredation order using non-lethal methods before you may use lethal control.Show citation box
(b) In most cases, if you use a firearm to kill migratory birds under the provisions of this section, you must use nontoxic shot or nontoxic bullets to do so. See § 20.21(j) of this chapter for a listing of approved nontoxic shot types. However, this prohibition does not apply if you use an air rifle, an air pistol, or a 22 caliber rimfire firearm for control of depredating birds under this order.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,558 Posts

What does "In most cases mean"? One could interpret that to exclude Corvids.

Federal Register I looked at makes no mention of Non-tox:

Title 50: Wildlife and Fisheries

CHAPTER I: UNITED STATES FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (CONTINUED)

SUBCHAPTER B: TAKING, POSSESSION, TRANSPORTATION, SALE, PURCHASE, BARTER, EXPORTATION, AND IMPORTATION OF WILDLIFE AND PLANTS (CONTINUED)

PART 20: MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING

Subpart L: Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

20.133 - Hunting regulations for crows.

(a) Crows may be taken, possessed, transported, exported, or imported, only in accordance with such laws or regulations as may be prescribed by a State pursuant to this section.

(b) Except in the State of Hawaii, where no crows shall be taken, States may by statute or regulation prescribe a hunting season for crows. Such State statutes or regulations may set forth the method of taking, the bag and possession limits, the dates and duration of the hunting season, and such other regulations as may be deemed appropriate, subject to the following limitations for each State:

(1) Crows shall not be hunted from aircraft;

(2) The hunting season or seasons on crows shall not exceed a total of 124 days during a calendar year;

(3) Hunting shall not be permitted during the peak crow nesting period within a State; and

(4) Crows may only be taken by firearms, bow and arrow, and falconry.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

John as I think I explained in my reply to Francis the Non-Toxic mandate for crows applies only when hunting them under a Federal depredation permit. Lead is still legal for crows shot during established hunting seasons for crows, but who knows for how long. Your referencing the federal law as it applies during established seasons, my reference is the change to non-tox for depredation permit hunting.

This is the camels nose coming under the tent in regard to increasing mandates for use of non-toxic shot. The old adage about boiling the frog by turning up the heat slowly applies. Lead is not very "green", lots of young do gooder types want to ban lead as part of saving the planet.
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here in Central Oregon we don't have crows, but we have hords of ravens. I live in the wild and watch the wild life all day long. Eventually one becomes connected with the critters. Ravens are smarter than most people, certainly smarter than me.

Birds have been around a very long time and over the eons they have developed a certain brilliance. Our feathered friends can hear and smell as well as a dog. They remember and adapt. Just watch them.

I'll kill a goose and a mallard, but as for the winter divers? Can't bring myself to do it. I watch them raise their young. I watch the ravens dive onto their nests. Am I an old softy? Okay, I admit it. Ironically, I love nothing better than shooting ducks and always have. But jeeze....it's a puzzlement.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
"NeverMore"??
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "NeverMore"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
Here in Central Oregon we don't have crows, but we have hords of ravens. I live in the wild and watch the wild life all day long. Eventually one becomes connected with the critters. Ravens are smarter than most people, certainly smarter than me.

Birds have been around a very long time and over the eons they have developed a certain brilliance. Our feathered friends can hear and smell as well as a dog. They remember and adapt. Just watch them.

I'll kill a goose and a mallard, but as for the winter divers? Can't bring myself to do it. I watch them raise their young. I watch the ravens dive onto their nests. Am I an old softy? Okay, I admit it. Ironically, I love nothing better than shooting ducks and always have. But jeeze....it's a puzzlement.
--Yup Coridae are smart birds-let a farmer walk his field and they'll flap away and maybe perch in nearby trees- but if the man is carrying a gun- and they see him- adios.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

I'm not seeing many crows around here this year, I'm wondering if there's been another round of west nile in the area this summer.....

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Anyone who has hunted crows knows that if you don't have a gun they'll roost in the trees or on bales of hay all around you and flip you the feather. Show up with a gun and you can't get within 400 yards of one. If I want to kill crows I shoot them with a rifle. A 788 in .222.
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here is the George Digweed, the world's best shotgunner killing crows consistently at ranges most of think of as impossible. A couple of days ago he set the long range clay pigeon record breaking birds with one shot at 120, 125, and 130 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWU-0RX-6g
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,334 Times in 12,401 Posts

When they start yellin' to each other in the tall pines at my place in Maine at about 4:45 A.M. I just step out on the deck with a black handled broom and they scat like their tailfeathers were on fire

I don't think my lakeshore neighbors would appreciate a volley of gunfire at that hour.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
When they start yellin' to each other in the tall pines at my place in Maine at about 4:45 A.M. I just step out on the deck with a black handled broom and they scat like their tailfeathers were on fire

I don't think my lakeshore neighbors would appreciate a volley of gunfire at that hour.
If I hear shotgun reports early in the morning I smile and go back to sleep. Then I make plans to be out there the following morning.

Same goes for the sound of jet aircraft. It puts me into a deeper sleep. I flew jets and love their sound today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post: