Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,229 Posts

Thanks Mike. I had the oppoortunity to shoot it at the recent Addieville sporting clays shoot and it really felt good. So good in fact my score jumped 20 points over what I shot the last time down there.
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #32
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Obviously not my business but I agree with the others about NOT refinishing the gun. I would have Brad Batchelder replace the recoil pad, clean and lube the gun and send it back to you. As many said above refinished Parkers are all over the place. I doubt I would buy one as everyone has one. But give me a good condition original gun and I will use it forever. Let your son refinish it if you get it really dinged up.

Dennis
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dennis, in the main I would agree with you but this one was poorly stored and while the original pictures didn't show it, the barrels had rusted on the outside with pitting that could not be left alone. The original finish on the stock was practically gone and it looked terrible. Inside the frame there was rust etc. that had to be thoroughly cleaned with some parts replaced. There are no plans to sell this VHE but there are plans to use it heavily and it will be left to my grandson when I'm gone. I'm not going to leave him a piece of crap or something that he has to pay for restoration. If the gun had been better cared for, half the work would not have been necessary. But I appreciate and respect your comments and as I said above, in the main we are in agreement.
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #34
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,314 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Brad will do a nice job on the gun, and you'll like it when you get it back. Unfortunately, no one will know whether it was a 10% gun before refinishing, or, in your case, a good strong 75% gun. The original checkering was better than that, but it will now shout "Recheckered". Barrels were a good 75-85%, and now will just be another set of re-blued barrels. You got a great buy on that gun, if not out right stole it. It will be worth what you paid for it when your done. If you're keeping it in the family, no problem. Whatever makes you happy. It certainly wasn't going to deteriorate in the condition I saw it in. Restored, or refreshed guns are everywhere, but, sadly lots of them used to be good honest guns.
Remember, way back in the beginning of this thread, when I said this? Well, I now have the benefit of seeing your gun now that it's back from Batchelder's.
What I said in the first sentence above is now proved; he did a great job.
Going back to the beginning of the thread gives everyone else the benefit of seeing before pics, but I got to inspect the gun closely. I stand by my original position. That gun was what everyone looks for. The minor pitting on the barrel was so minor, it was almost imperceptible, but "striking" them down is draw-filing metal, and in doing that, you've reduced the barrel wall thickness. Maybe not a lot, but doubtless enough to show up when gauged. This might not matter much on a big ole 2 frame, but it does on small frame upland guns.
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Hello Edgar, just a short note as I don't want this thread to become something like a few other threads where we beat a dead horse to death.

Everything that was done to bring this gun back was discussed in every detail with Brad. We agreed to only those steps that would be consistent with those that one might wish to do in the 1920/30's by sending it back to the Parker Bros and/or Remington shop for 'reconditioning'. I'm very happy with the results, have no regrets and will bequeath this VHE to Logan, my oldest grandson who's eyes grow wide every time I pull it out of the gun safe, show it to him and remind him that it will be his one day. The only thing I regret is not engraving my initial 'N' on the shield. But I'll have Dan Cullity do that locally. I do appreciate and respect the views from the 'collectors' and other perspectives.
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #36
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,314 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen newell View Post
I don't want this thread to become something like a few other threads where we beat a dead horse to death.
Umm, how do you beat a dead horse to death?

My only thought is that if I were looking at a rack of Parkers, and your old gun was standing next to your new gun, priced the same, It would be the old one I'd pick up.
Beating a dead horse to death
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #37
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Beating a dead horse to death

We beat a dead horse to death by flogging and generally the flogger doesn't realize the horse is already dead.
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #38
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Like this....
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dave, where do you come up with this stuff? lol
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #40
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Gentlemen,

While the restore or leave original horse may not be dead, it is has been put into the pasture.

This thread is closed by request.

Respectfully,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Closed Thread