Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

to duplicate or use a pattern?
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
Alder Bark
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default to duplicate or use a pattern?

I recently purchased a 16 gauge vh frame size 1, it is in need of a new stock that fits my dimensions a little better.

the trouble is; the stock it has is not original, and does not fit perfectly. it is just off by the slightest of margins, and has a slight cast to the left ( which I don't want)... but I think the cast comes from the incorrect fit since the wood doesn't look like it was bent. and the top tang screw was ground at a different angle because who ever monkeyed with it could not time it right or the holes didn't line up right.

it really looks like the current stock it has on now came from a just slightly larger gun and the whole frame of the receiver is leaning ever so slightly to the right hand side of the stock. there is enough of a gap to slide a piece of printer paper into.

I am trying to decide if I should modify the stock to my dimensions and have it duplicated or find someone with a pre made pattern for an inletted stock that I could make fit.

I would much rather go the duplication route, but the stock isn't perfect to begin with and Im not sure how much better off I would be with a pattern?

any ideas? any recommendations on who to send it to for duplication or who to get a inletted stock from?

I have fitted a couple guns to semi inletted stocks before and really enjoyed the process and the outcome, so I am up for the challenge.
Mike R. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,132 Times in 3,250 Posts

what changes do you need - if you can explain it to someone with a duplicator, they may have a old stock they can adjust- or take a pattern and add tape to the comb for example to lessen the drop.

your best bet is to talk directly to a stocker like Brian Dudley here on the board, and get the answer straight from someone who does it.
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Alder Bark
Forum Associate

Member Info

thanks OH, I mainly need a higher comb and longer LOP.

here is a couple pics to better illustrate what I am dealing with.

on this one most of what looks like a gap is proud wood, but there is a gap there none the less

with this picture what appears to be a gap is mostly proud wood and shadow, but there is still a gap.

Im sure Im splitting hairs and a duplicator would probably leave this much behind for me to work with but I have never used one before so I want as solid a foundation as possible, especially if I give him a piece of wood worth anything.

I don't mind adding bondo and tweaking the stock to fit the dimensions I want, after the old stock gets duplicated its going to be my practice board for checkering.
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Mike, From the pictures I can't tell if that is a factory stock or not. Removing the trigger guard bow and looking in the channel for it there should be stamping with the serial number. Also when Parker guns left the factory the wood was always a bit proud of the frame.
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,378 Times in 4,584 Posts

What dimensions do you require? When I run a stock on my duplication machine, I try to use the original stock, but often I cannot since the stock is being replaced due to manly damage and the original is not suitable for a pattern. Or, it is not worth taking the time to repair when I can just use a pattern that I have on hand.
Obviously if the dimensions you require are abnormal, your original can be modified and use as a pattern.
Another issue with just trusting an off the shelf duplication is that there is a lot of variation in these guns, especially in the rear tangs and the amount of bend they have. So, unless your original stock is duplicated, or your action is checked against the pattern to be used, there is a chance for issues.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

This is a VH with a black walnut stock... and I'm willing to bet the head is split. Hence the gap and wood misalignment. A proper fix should correct that. If you need more comb height, why not try one of the add-on comb pads? Same for the LOP with those type pads. They are not beautiful, but they are functional.

Otherwise, you can spend hundreds on a restock.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Alder,
Do you have an original buttplate on your gun?
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Alder Bark
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Mike, From the pictures I can't tell if that is a factory stock or not. Removing the trigger guard bow and looking in the channel for it there should be stamping with the serial number. Also when Parker guns left the factory the wood was always a bit proud of the frame.
it appears to be a factory stock with a serial number, just not the original.
the replacement stock is proud on one side but not the other... now that I have the trigger guard off, its looks more like the frame is torqued to one side rather than leaning, if that makes sense?

Brian:
Quote:
What dimensions do you require?
Obviously if the dimensions you require are abnormal, your original can be modified and use as a pattern.
Another issue with just trusting an off the shelf duplication is that there is a lot of variation in these guns, especially in the rear tangs and the amount of bend they have. So, unless your original stock is duplicated, or your action is checked against the pattern to be used, there is a chance for issues.
my dimensions aren't abnormal I just want it a little closer to the dimensions of my my other " more modern" guns, mainly a higher comb/less drop. and I also want a little longer LOP without out adding a spacer or elongated pad... I would also like to fit a skeleton pad to it and still end up with my correct LOP which is 14 5/8ths or possibly more now that I have lost some LBS.

Brian:
Quote:
Do you have an original buttplate on your gun?
no original buttplate, just a rough looking silvers style pad.

John Campbell:
Quote:
This is a VH with a black walnut stock... and I'm willing to bet the head is split. Hence the gap and wood misalignment. A proper fix should correct that. If you need more comb height, why not try one of the add-on comb pads? Same for the LOP with those type pads. They are not beautiful, but they are functional.

Otherwise, you can spend hundreds on a restock.
there is a slight crack at the bottom of the tang ( as well as numerous others in other places) and just the slightest bit of give when I squeeze the wood together behind the receiver, but I really feel the bulk of this is an improper fit... but I am no expert.

I really like learning the many different aspects of gunsmithing so I was planning on restocking this gun myself, not that I could afford the work of a real gun smith anyway.
plus the stock isn't orginal so I figure I might as well swap it out for something fancier, otherwise I would do like you suggested and just leave it alone or get a strap on pad.
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

By modern dimentions, do you mean like 1.5" and 2.5" drops? In this range with about a 14 - 14.5" pull is what I would consider modern.

If you want a ssbp put on it, then you are looking at making a new stock or finding an original DH stock to fit up to your gun.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Alder Bark
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
By modern dimentions, do you mean like 1.5" and 2.5" drops? In this range with about a 14 - 14.5" pull is what I would consider modern.

If you want a ssbp put on it, then you are looking at making a new stock or finding an original DH stock to fit up to your gun.
maybe I misused the word modern right now it has 1.5" drop at comb and 3" drop at the heel. I would like it to be close to 2.5 at the heel. LOP is right at 14".

making a new stock or having the current one slightly modified and duplicated is definitely the route I would prefer to go over trying to find a different parker stock to try and make fit properly.

besides I figure if I muck up the SSBP I can always trim it and slap on a silvers pad and still be able to have my desired LOP.