Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,250 Posts

Gents, I knew when I posted the recent update that it would spark some differing views on restore or not to what is an 'honest' gun. While extremly tight and with good case colors remaining (which will not be touched), Brad disclosed to me then when the gun was disassembled they found the wood under the forearm was somewhat punky from oil soaking in over the years and there were the beginnings of some cracks in the stock at the head behind the top tang - which will need to be taken care of. The fix to one of the barrels where at the muzzle end there is a small dent or rather a mish-shaping of the muzzle choke is necessary to bring the choke back to where it was when it left the factory. Any refinish to the stock will be done per period factory finish - which was oil and shellac I believe, also period appropriate. The rust aloing the sides of the rib and the external pitting which will be addressed come not from being an honest gun but from mis-use in the innapropriate storage of the gun for the past 6 years. Brad and I have an understanding which is to not make the gun look new so much as to bring it up to an appropraite period level. When my grandson inherits this nice VHE, he'll have a lifetime of use with it without worry and plenty enough of legacy from 'Papa'. I respect the concerns expressed by Dean and Edgar and those other collectors of these great firearms that we all want to see preserved and protected.
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post: