Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

murphy: thank you so much for your reference to the fine set of books known as "The Parker Story". over the years i did collect a significant firearms reference library...of course that was prior to the advent of the information highway, now commonly known as the internet. i now find most answers to questions that i and others have, are readily answered by a simple google search; or in this case, posing a question on an internet based forum such as this one, which is, by the way, supposed to be about parker shotguns...

oddly, you seem to want to make this forum about other things...in the future please do try to keep on topic and refrain from trashing this fine forum which is, after all, dedicated to parker shotguns.
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

as for the checkering on the gun in question, some of you brought up an interesting scenario:

i too have seen a few 0 grade hammer guns, sans checkering...which begs the question:
could the checkering on this gun have been done after factory by a novice checker, as practice?

from what i can see from the limited pictures, the pattern just does not look like parker factory work...frankly, it looks kinda like the checkering one sees on some crescent firearms guns?

i do hope i am incorrect in my suspicions regarding the origin of the checkering on this otherwise remarkably high condition parker field grade hammer gun, as it may significantly reduce it's collector value.

it would be helpful if the seller would provide direct images of the checkering on the wrist and forend, and perhaps a direct reference to a picture in "The Parker Story" or other reference work, so the controversy could be resolved in his favor.
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

I don't understand Ed's comment about me. Maybe the moderator understands it better than I do. Ed has gotten some "from the experts" information about the checkering, yet he continues to let his own opinion color his comments. Ed has made it his hobby to trash this forum and its members, has been chastised, then forgiven. He apparently doesn't appreciate the lenient treatment he has been given by our webmaster. Give it a rest, Ed. Further, Ed implies that he can get information about original Parker checkering from google.com and discounts The Parker Story as a source for expert information about that subject. He trashes the originality of a gun for sale, probably being offered by one of our members, for what reason? When I dig in my safe for an example of the checkering being discussed, my information about the exact dimensions of the checkering goes right over his head and he accuses me of going off the subject at hand. I don't understand how Ed got released from suspension from this forum, but it may not have been a good decision.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,567 Times in 4,626 Posts

Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I don't understand Ed's comment about me. Maybe the moderator understands it better than I do.....
I have absolutely no clue, either.

Best to all,

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

As a stickler for proper spelling I sure appreciate Bill's correct spelling of the word, "coarse".
Thanks, Bill. As for the rest of the disagreement I will stay out of it as I am still a beginning Parkerite.

Dennis
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
SunnyIdaho
Forum Associate

Member Info

Amen. I love correct spelling also and it drives me nuts when my wireless keyboard leaves out letters.Sunny day in Idaho today!
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

I really didn't mean for the correct spelling of the word to get Ed so pumped up. He is pretty good at "dishing it out" though. Oh my gosh, there are those quotation marks again. By the way, my gun with the eight lines to the inch original checkering is #18,921 and the seller's gun is #20,792, quite close together. The checkering on both are identical in appearance and spacing and I consider both to be original. I am not sure that the checkering is so much worn as very flat topped when new. I'll try to get a TPS reference.
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

bill: i have no problem with you or anyone else, so long as you refrain from personal attacks and antagonistic comments, such as:

"Ed, use some of the profit from your internet sales to purchase a set of The Parker Story."

I do sell older sxs guns on the internet and else where as a hobby and as a service to my consignment customers, who are also my friends...you seem to have a problem with that practice...why, i do not know, but your off topic comments are not appreciated and will not be tolerated.

if you think i have taken offense incorrectly, then lets just let it go and move on to more important topics having to do with parker shotguns.
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

This thread is closed - as it has MORE than run its course....

However, on a final note.. Ed? I've been running, hosting, administrating web sites and forums since 1996 - so my following comment is based on that experience.

What you appear to "read into" others comments is not always the case. This thread and your reply is a wonderful example. To that point - the "Parker Story" has been recommended on this site alone - hundreds, if not thousands of times as the pinnacle of printed Parker Research both on this forum and other forums.

It does not matter if you are a dealer. Nor a collector. Nor a shooter. Nor an enthusiast. Nor a newbie. Nor "whoever" someone is. In fact...

If anyone has any interest (commercial, collector or a simpler voyeur) in Parker Shotguns - then Bill's suggestion was right on. To read anything else into his suggestion is both non-nonsensical and not on topic - as no one else read anything else into it other than a simple suggestion.

And that same suggestion occurs almost everyday on this same forum. However, by comparison, the vitriolic response to that same suggestion has never before occurred.

I hope this makes my position crystal clear on the subject and the discourse in this thread.

Have a wonderful day.

John
Closed Thread