Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 06-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
No easy fete for him or anyone else. Mark was showing me the gun and let me hold it. It was one heavy beast and I could feel the strain in my forearm when I pointed it. Of course once you get that gun moving momentum is going to keep you from stopping your swing. Nice woodcockin' gun for sure
Pete
The problem is when you are swinging on a right to left crosser and then have to stop the momentum to swing on that left to right crosser.... I really don't know how he does that, 14+ pounds swinging one direction and then stopping it to swing the other way...... That's good shooting.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
For those who don't know, yet, Mark Oullette shot a 38 on the Hunter's Clays course with his Parker eight gauge. What a guy. Maybe he will tell us about his big eight and post some pictures.
I agree what Pete, Eric, and Bill have said. The presentation of targets were quick crossing shots and most of the second clay targets for the true pairs the shooter needed to react quickly for a score or you lost the clay in the trees and brush. Not an easy feat to do hefting up a 15 lb gun and what was it....? 36" barrels? I think Mark shot the 8 gauge all weekend. Every time I saw him he was carrying the 8 gauge. He got a nice work out carrying that gun up and down those hills....

Mark let me shoot his 8 gauge I never shot before that scratched one more thing on my "bucket list". 1 3/4 oz of lead on a gun that massive had minimal recoil.

Thanks Mark!
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,227 Times in 12,373 Posts

Mark's 8 gauge DH weighs 14 pounds plus some ounces and he was shooting the equivalent of. bob-white quail and ruffed grouse targets.

I wish Mr. Dunkle had a 'genuflecting' emoticon
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

He IS the guy to follow....far less foliage to deal with

One 8ga shell is equivalent to almost two of my 3/40z 20ga loads.
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,861 Times in 4,750 Posts

I'm not sure he was shooting 1 3/4 ounce loads. Junior Charlie Brooks loads his eight gauge with 1 1/8 ounces and shot an 8X10 in last year's Bo Whoop.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #16
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I shot 1 3/4 oz of 7 1/2's which trimmed a few tree limbs that got between me and those clay targets.

Shooting those loads from low gun even my 14 1/2 pound DH with 36" barrels would thump me good if I didn't get her square in my shoulder! That happened more than once...

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was also fortunate enough to shoot with Mark during his round of 38, and he let me shoot a few rounds with the 8ga as well. If you knew the work that goes into even loading these industrial shells, you'd be even more impressed. Mark, thanks again for letting me shoot the gun, it was also my first time shooting an 8ga.

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike.Smith For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I'm not sure he was shooting 1 3/4 ounce loads. Junior Charlie Brooks loads his eight gauge with 1 1/8 ounces and shot an 8X10 in last year's Bo Whoop.
"That's nothing"...I shot a 7 x 10 on the Bo Whoop this year using a 10 lb. HE Super-Fox I'd never even loaded before, using Wally World "Petite Kaolin Grinder" 7/8 oz. 1125 fps training loads! Perfect for that No. 3 bird - the shot and the target hit the ground at the same time!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote