Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Reading Nash Buckingham's Bloodline, questions...
Unread 09-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default Reading Nash Buckingham's Bloodline, questions...

I am currently reading Bloodlines after reading Mark Right and Shootingest Gentlman, and it is my favorite book so far.

Halfway through it though and 3 questions I have:

1) Why did Nash leave the Beaver Dam Club? He talks about it so fondly and than seems to leave it for another club? Not sure if this is known or not but curious.

2) How did Nash's parents die? In some minutes he records from Beaver Dam, Horace writes him about sadness at the death of his parents. Turns out they died on the same day in 1919, but I have not been able to discover cause of death....

3) A very interesting character Nash introduces is Major Winthorne M Woolard who served in the Confederate Army, but dies while on a visit to England. As Nash Talks about him he makes a big deal of what the M stands for but not revealing it until later. Turns out the M is for Marlborough. From the way it is written into the story I am assuming this is some tie to the Royal Family in England, but I am not certain of that. There is definitly a significance to the middle name being Marlborough though. Nash reveals it like the end of a Paul Harvey Rest of the Story. Any insite?
Unread 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

He left the Beaver Dam Club because he wasn't a member. His father had the actual membership and once he turned 18 his visitors privileges were over. When his father passed away, his membership came down to Nash and he started hunting there again. I believe he later sold the membership, he was always hard up for money.

Then as the club waned in later years, the family who owned (and still owns) the land itself let him bring friends down to hunt to sort of keep the club alive. There is still a Beaver Dam Club, and the original family still owns the land. I believe the club is leased yearly by a group of businessmen from Memphis.

His father and mother both died of influenza and are buried side by side. Nash and his brother are both buried not far away.

I never knew if Woolard was a fictional character or a real person. I don't know as anybody has ever looked into it that hard, at least nobody I know has anyway.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

That would make sense on his parents. As that would be the right time for the Spanish flu.

From bloodlines it looked like he left to join a club in Arkansas right after his parents death and then founded another club down the river from that club.
Unread 09-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

nash is sure a interesting fellow...i loved the way he shot that old 6 gashotgun muzzle loader and its record of shooting all the shot in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards is still unsurpassed...i ve got a gun that will shoot 92 percent but never 100 percent....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

Fred Kimble. In my collection of worthless sporting items, I have a magazine with an ad offering Fred's six gauge Tonks for sale, and referring to the 100% patterns it shot.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Bill I'm assuming you've shared that advertisement with John Davis?
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

I have recently received a copy of "The Best of Nash Buckingham" edited by George Bird Evans. I'm only through the intro, but it is obvious the GBE thought a lot of Buckingham. This particular book is interesting in that it is inscribed by John Olin to a friend's father.
Unread 09-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Destry, I think our friend John included that ad in his great book/books on the great Fred Kimble.
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

In Bloodlines, Nash talks about both Kimble and our own Du Bray.
Unread 09-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

It is interesting that George Bird Evans only met Nash once as I recall.