Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #31
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well here's mine. Bird is a very large dove. Setting is among several round bales on a three legged dove chair. Shooting is slow as we sit and chat. Suddenly there is a bird about ten feet coming in for a landing on my hay bale. I see the bird the bird sees me. The bird throws his brakes on and stops in mid air at about four feet with its wings spread very wide.I do the fastest gun mount ever seen and pull the trigger. Me and the chair tumble backwards with me upside down missing a hat and glasses. The bird goes on its merry way. My friend laughs his fool head off. He likes to tell the story in large crowds. That bird had a wing span of about three feet when he hit reverse.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #32
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson View Post
Well here's mine. Bird is a very large dove. Setting is among several round bales on a three legged dove chair. Shooting is slow as we sit and chat. Suddenly there is a bird about ten feet coming in for a landing on my hay bale. I see the bird the bird sees me. The bird throws his brakes on and stops in mid air at about four feet with its wings spread very wide.I do the fastest gun mount ever seen and pull the trigger. Me and the chair tumble backwards with me upside down missing a hat and glasses. The bird goes on its merry way. My friend laughs his fool head off. He likes to tell the story in large crowds. That bird had a wing span of about three feet when he hit reverse.
Gerald, what a great account of a miss...and better yet that you can tell it on yourself. (BTW, I have long ago gotten rid of my three-legged stool for dove hunts.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #33
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

that made me laugh for a while...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #34
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,961 Times in 1,121 Posts

Toughest wild bird shot? No question ............ wood ducks coming into a little beaver pond at first light. They land on the water at, what seems to be, at least 50 mph, dodging between trees, darting back and forth, until finally plopping down within 5 yards of you oftentimes.

I've shot doves for 60 years here and South America, wild quail in Georgia and Arizona, green timber ducks in Arkansas and Mississippi, but nothing is as consistently tough as those woodies coming in to land in a little beaver pond in timber in the predawn light.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #35
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I forgot about another tough shot I had hunting. A couple I got to know back in the 70's helped me train my first beagle. They offered to take me grouse hunting with their bird dog. I think it was a wire haired griffon? I remember watching the dog quartering, I remember him going on point, Bob directed me to an area to the right of the dog, Bob walked in towards the dog and several grouse flushed, maybe 5 or 6 if I remember correctly. My first wife had just gotten me a browning over/under 20 gauge for my birthday, and this was my first hunt with that new shotgun. I aimed at a grouse, took my shot, 2 grouse fell, the dog went and retrieved both of them. Bob was standing there with his mouth wide open, his wife Patti was just smiling. I tried to act like it was no big deal the next shot I took was one of my toughest shots ever.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #36
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Shot at a Goldeneye on Truman Lake back in the 80's.... I still remember it like yesterday.

I was shooting south of the blind coming towards us with a nice tail wind. I lined up pulled away for the lead, and just as I squeezed the trigger, it made a hard left, as only a goldeneye with a tailwind can do... Because the bird was out my end of the blind, my dad had not even pulled up his gun, and was just watching me for the shot... He just started laughing and said, I think you missed that bird by two counties....
Unread 06-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #37
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin View Post
Shot at a Goldeneye on Truman Lake back in the 80's.... I still remember it like yesterday.

I was shooting south of the blind coming towards us with a nice tail wind. I lined up pulled away for the lead, and just as I squeezed the trigger, it made a hard left, as only a goldeneye with a tailwind can do... Because the bird was out my end of the blind, my dad had not even pulled up his gun, and was just watching me for the shot... He just started laughing and said, I think you missed that bird by two counties....
Pat, Dad's can be blunt, but I wish I could hear mine again.

I'm glad that there is not another shooter around when my bird "zigs" when my shot "zags."
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #38
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Pat, Dad's can be blunt, but I wish I could hear mine again.

I'm glad that there is not another shooter around when my bird "zigs" when my shot "zags."
Ya dad passed in 95, and my uncle and I dumped out his ashes on a point of Thomas Hill lake 2 weeks later as sun was rising, and we prepared for one of the best days of duck hunting I had ever had. I'd had years of frustration trying to kill a sprig pintail, well guess what I did that day, and many more since. Uncle and I both limited out with very colorful bag of birds ranging from wood ducks, red heads, pintails, Mallards and blue bills. What a great day of wingshooting that was, and I couldn't help but feel my dad sitting there in the blind with us.
Unread 06-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #39
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was treasurer of our local ducks unlimited chapter back in the 70's, one of the guys that was heavily involved with d.u. asked me to go duck hunting with him. I told him I would make a blind at skeegmog lake near where I lived. It was quite a nice blind, easy to find during the day not very easy to find pre dawn I put the blind on the south side of a small island of mostly cattails. As dawn came, I said oops as I was squinting into the early sunrise to my left. I remember just seeing a bird coming right at me from my left, I pulled up my 20 gauge, literally shot from the hip, the greenwing teal dropped at my feet splashing both of us. My new buddy had the strangest look on his face later we took turn poling each other around the backwater, he was poling, I was sitting up front when a mallard took off about 30 yards ahead, I thought it was to far away, he yelled shoot it, I remember giving a little extra lead, the duck was probably 40 yards by then, I think one pellet must of hit it in the head, it just dropped out of the sky and never moved. At every d.u. banquet I attended after that, I got a nice introduction from him, the two luckiest shots I probably ever took.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #40
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,961 Times in 1,121 Posts

Tough question to answer.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: