Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #11
Bob K
PGCA Member

Member Info

A grouse flushing from a snow roost. By the time I recover from the surprise, he's halfway to the next county.
Bob Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Kimble For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

my worst shot was a day when duck hunting it was 2 degrees that day i had on hip boots standing in water just 2 inches below the top of my boots..along comes a wood duck from my left to my right...i turned very quickly my body moved but my feet had sunk in the mud they did not move with my body i pulled the trigger but missed as i was turning..i got off balance and started falling my feet came loose outa the mud and here i go trying to keep my head above water.. after 4 steps of stumbleing i caught a tree i had went up to my shoulders but only my head stayed above the water.... never touched that duck...it was over 2 mile back to the truck most of it knee deep water and mud covered in thin ice...finally got to the truck and turned that heater on high it took me a half aday at home setting right by the heater to get warm that day...never will forget that miss on that duck...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,474 Times in 3,043 Posts

Oh, the different ways we miss! I thought I knew them all, but you guys are giving me new options. I'm glad to see the "treed bird flush" on more than one post.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #14
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
my worst shot was a day when duck hunting it was 2 degrees that day i had on hip boots standing in water just 2 inches below the top of my boots..along comes a wood duck from my left to my right...i turned very quickly my body moved but my feet had sunk in the mud they did not move with my body i pulled the trigger but missed as i was turning..i got off balance and started falling my feet came loose outa the mud and here i go trying to keep my head above water.. after 4 steps of stumbleing i caught a tree i had went up to my shoulders but only my head stayed above the water.... never touched that duck...it was over 2 mile back to the truck most of it knee deep water and mud covered in thin ice...finally got to the truck and turned that heater on high it took me a half aday at home setting right by the heater to get warm that day...never will forget that miss on that duck...charlie
Yikes. Reminds me of some "over my wader" stories I could tell from my days as a trapper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #15
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kimble View Post
A grouse flushing from a snow roost. By the time I recover from the surprise, he's halfway to the next county.
I've missed lots of grouse in the snow, but never been in on a snow roost flush. I'd like to add that to my "missed birds" list.
Unread 01-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #16
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

I have to concur that the grouse leaving a tree is my most difficult, if not impossible. After 50 years chasing them I am not sure I have ever connected with a tree flush. And not because I did not know they were there as my dogs will routinely point them up in a tree.

The second most missed shot is a grouse that flushes in front but flies quartering to the rear. Instead of moving my feet I seem to insist on getting corkscrewed into the ground.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #17
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,919 Times in 1,432 Posts

Fast high flying pigeons give me the most challenging shots. When you do connect what a great feeling. They can be dead in the air and still sail for a long way.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #18
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think any fast crossing bird over 30 yards out is very tough shot. That happens mostly with ducks for me, occasionally I'll get that type of shot at a pheasant, more often with doves. I find those long passing shots tougher than quick flushes in close -- what I'd call snap shooting -- you sometimes hear the bird before you see it, the gun snaps to the shoulder and fires. For some reason I do pretty well on those -- it's all instinct with no time to think. But if I see the bird coming and then it passes in front of me out there a ways, I have too much time to think and try to figure out the lead and I would most likely miss. I'm better at that shot now that I shoot sporting clays a lot. But it is still the toughest shot on the course.
Unread 01-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #19
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

As a young teen ,I wasn't really permitted by law to hunt not until I was 16,but the old single shot behind the porch door when I got home from school each day was too tempting -my older brother had always told me to never load the gun, just carry it cracked open with a shell in the chamber -so I did ...

My buddy Pete was over after to school to tag along for this "illegal grouse hunt " -doing bad stuff was cool !....the winding river behind the house was frozen solid ,but we had little snow and after a little walk as we rounded the corner, the exclamation of "Grouse !" rang out -it was standing about 10 feet from me ,I cocked the gun before I closed it holding both the trigger and the hammer ,closing the gun as I was bringing it up ,at about waist high I let go the hammer but in my excitement still holding the trigger ...it went off ,from the hip taking the head right off my first grouse ! my buddy thought I was a crackerjack ,I said there was nothing to it -it was the first grouse I ever shot and I can take you right to the very spot today.

Another time , my older brother would take me on the barrens with our old setter Ben,( not to be confused with my modern Ben ) lead shot was the norm and we could use it on anything that jumped up ...I would carry at least two full boxes of 12 gauge imperials ,and with my trusty H&R single I got the shit kicked out of me and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn ,most days running out of shells, it was pitiful -our favorite quarry were Ptarmigan and snipe ...this one lone snipe gets up over a point at least a gunshot away ,my brother yells " don't shoot!" ( because of course I was running low ) ..the bird keeps getting further and further ,im lining it up ...boom !! there was a moment of hesitation it fanned out flew straight up about 3 feet and dropped dead -one pellet in the back of its head .

There was also my first day in Arizona with Phil Carr,jump shooting ducks from puddles on the way to the mountains for mearns ,the first puddle held a few we thought ...it was actually hundreds ,when it settled down I had five ducks laying out there ...I only fired two shots !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Chris' story of the head shot snipe reminded me of the rare occasions that I have shot a bird and a pellet hit it in the head (by chance of course). On each occasion -- and it's happened with grouse and quail -- the bird towered very high, straight up, and then plummeted straight down...dead. I believe the bird was "dead, but didn't know it" as my father used to say. It's an interesting phenomenon.

I've also shot birds that have flown on as if not hit, only to discover them (well, the dog discovered them) some distance away, quite dead. I remember an Iowa pheasant in particular that I shot at and, not thinking I'd hit it, followed up with the dog to see if we could get him up again. I'm sure that bird flew at least 400 yards and we found him quite dead with no sign of a hit.

In another "weird shot" incident, I took a Hail Mary shot at a flushing Fall turkey with my Ithaca magnum 10 gauge. The bird dropped dead at 77 paces. I never did find where it was hit. My wife told me that it probably died as a courtesy to my "reputation."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: