Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-07-2020, 11:34 PM   #11
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

When I first started getting into Parker’s, I was buying up everything I could find that I THOUGHT was a good deal.. Realized pretty quickly that it’s much smarter to find guns that already work for me, instead of trying to make the gun I have work. I’m sure some people love them, but 2 frame 12 gauge 30” Full/Full Parker’s are pretty much useless to me. That’s what I’m seeing languish on classified sites.
Kirk Potter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

Asking prices stay higher than market prices because people hate to sell anything for a loss. It can take a long time for asking prices to correct. If sellers cut prices for say a 12ga Trojan to $300. to $500. I believe sales would increase. How many of you have said to yourself my gun is worth 50% less than what I paid, I will just keep it. That thinking slows down sales and reduces the number of buyers. Same happens with real estate and wall street.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

Yes craig. It is not quite yet a full buyers market. It isnt either now. People are not buying and in turn people are not selling. Until prices fall some to reflect that, it then will become a buyers market.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-08-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

I think the internet had the effect of dramatically increasing the supply. I have seen this happen with old books which I have collected too.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
How many of you have said to yourself my gun is worth 50% less than what I paid, I will just keep it. That thinking slows down sales and reduces the number of buyers. Same happens with real estate and wall street.
It will also keep a number of guns from going on the market and when/if demand surpasses supply, prices/values will begin to rise.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

I'm pretty sure that I could not get what I paid for many (maybe, most) of my guns. I did not buy them to sell, though, and I'm at peace with using what I have for the purpose for which they were intended.

I do think that the interest in old doubles peaked and until something happens to change that, things will remain the same or worsen before they get better. The demographics of double gun collectors will see to that.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

I know that the market is down....like any other commodity it does that. Supply and demand is the major factor. In this case of SXS shotguns demand has dropped off for lots of reasons and the supply is overflowing. Motivated sellers willing to get out will take what the market will bring and go on, others will not. Myself as a gun dealer/collector and trader I must weather the storm, be willing to get creative, at times take losses and just make the best of it. I see several SXS guns for sale that I would like to add to my safe, don't have the cash flow and can't sell or trade what I want so it slows it all down! It was a bad year for gun wholesalers and some gun dealers too, we lost a whole bunch of them due to soft markets. Most of the members here and quality gun collectors as well I would think can afford to weather this down turn till the supply side drops and prices rise. I still see good desirable guns selling....that's a good thing! I bought two DH grade 16-s last year that I wanted fore a long time, no fire sale for sure but fair prices I think. I only need to keep one of them, the other is for sale here now but that may change soon....I like it too!!! My safe is full...(-: my gun buying account is empty...)-: And I need a bird dog puppy on top of all this! I will have to keep working a while longer to support all my BAD habits!!!...SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #18
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

I believe the downturn is not limited to big bore guns but covers all grades and bore sizes. Review auction prices - Review GI and GA listings - so many High grade (AAHE Etc....) just sitting for what feels like forever unsold. Even at price points listed well under those of just a few years back.
.410's that were selling at 40K+ in 2000's are in the high teens and low 20's now. Unless in very high condition or with much a desired configuation even .28 bores are no longer "liquid" and selling in a matter of hours as in years past.
All of the above points are correct but I do not believe it is not just limited to Average guns and large bores.
With all that said ....I am excited to be a buyer - Just not yet.....

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #19
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

I sure wish a bunch of depressed priced, long barrelled 20s and 28s would come to market!
Unread 01-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #20
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

"and when/if demand surpasses supply, prices/values will begin to rise.". Can't imagine a scenario where demand will ever exceed supply in this arena. As us old Pharts die off, the guns will be put on the market with no regard for what we paid for them. The widow will want them out of the house, price be damned