Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

English Best compared to a Parker
Unread 09-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default English Best compared to a Parker

I am curious how an English best gun compares to a Parker? I know people say they are like comparing apples and oranges as being two different guns, but I am not asking which is better.

I am more curious what is it about English Best guns that is so different? Partly I am trying to grasp what makes a Best gun a Best gun, but also just what is different about them compared to a Parker.

I have stumbled upon an English Best Boxlock gun that is intriguing to me. It has bushed firing pins and double safety sears and better internal fit and finish on a 28 inch barrel with a 15 inch LOP on some gorgeous wood topping the scales at a 6lbs 3 oz 12 gauge.

I have read enough to realize that most Best guns are considered sidelocks, but this one is a boxlock which is far more appealing to me.

So any assistance in understanding what a BEST gun is and how they differ/compare to Parkers would be quite appreciated!

Cheerio
Unread 09-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

There really is no comparison - almost without exception, American double guns started life as basic utility grade hardware store guns, and underwent successive elaborate embellishments (e.g., more select exotic wood for stocks, intricate checkering and carving, extensive engraving commensurate with the ascending grade(s), polishing and plating of internal parts, etc.) as the price went up. In essence, they were all assembled from pre-manufactured parts much like an assembly line automobile.

To really understand the difference between these guns and the British "bests", I highly recommend watching on YouTube the British Shooting Times production of "Purdey Guns and Rifles" (or any of the similar Purdey presentations), to really understand the almost primitive nature of the approach to building a "best" gun. The presentation is about an hour long and well worth the investment in time; I find the segments on stockmaking and sidelock construction and regulation absolutely mesmerizing. I have watched it at least a dozen times and often go back to selected segments to absorb the magical way they produce their fine guns. (Holland & Holland have equally good feature films on the construction and finishing of their guns.).
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Kevin just about sums it up, plus the feel is different when it's in your hands, I can't explain it.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Is a Corvette a better car than a Jaguar, Porsche or Ferrari ? Each maker has strong following. All have won at LeMans. The Corvette will probably run more trouble free miles than the others. Parker’s are very reliable handle well and have a strong following . No doubt owners of English shotguns think they are better without being able to give a concrete reason.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Again I wasn't asking better or worse. I just was curious how they differed. I am interested in a best, but want to make sure it is different enough from a parker. Has nothing to do with better.

But to answer your question, the ford GT is unequivocally better than the vette
Unread 09-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Kevin nailed it. A box lock can still be a best quality gun. IMHO it's the human factor that makes a "best" gun a "best" gun. These are completely hand built. I'm blessed with two Purdey's and a H&H compare them side by side with an identical configured Parker (or Fox) and the English gun is more lively in the hands. For instance my H&H is a straight grip 20ga with 26 inch barrels and tips the scale under six pounds my DHE 20 configured exactly the same way is almost 6 1/2 pounds.
Unread 09-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Have to agree with Kevin, the American guns foundation is in the utility, a "Best gun" starts life as an idea and slowly takes shape into a lightweight balanced, handcrafted fine tuned machine. To be quite honest with opinions, even machined/handcrafted British guns have a quality to them American gun makers didn't achieve.
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,782 Times in 4,717 Posts

A true gun person will have a selection of both categories. I have had Parkers and English guns since I was in my teens but was seventy before I acquired my dream English best. It really does have something the others don't have.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

To fully comprehend English Best guns, one must also consider clientele.

English Best guns were made up for RICH individuals. Many in pairs. And nothing but the finest in craftsmanship, precision and art were acceptable for this market. An English aristocrat simply did not show up on a shoot with a keepers gun in hand. He carried a gun that caught the eye and envy of others. A Best.

This is what made the reputations of Purdey, Holland & Holland, Boss and others.

American guns, including the Parker, were basically products. And when required, embellished and fitted to higher levels. But they were still basically products. In British terms, keepers guns.

Sorry to be blunt. But it's the truth.
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Riddell View Post
Have to agree with Kevin, the American guns foundation is in the utility, a "Best gun" starts life as an idea and slowly takes shape into a lightweight balanced, handcrafted fine tuned machine. To be quite honest with opinions, even machined/handcrafted British guns have a quality to them American gun makers didn't achieve.
Additionally, most hunting in GB was/is driven shoots not busting through brush in American grouse coverts.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post: