Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Trailboss in 16ga. Brass Shotshells?
Unread 02-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Default Trailboss in 16ga. Brass Shotshells?

I ran across this load data for 16 gauge 2 ½” Brass RMC shells, though I would likely be using Magtech 2 1/2" Brass shells. I thought it looked promising and I would enjoy loading smokeless loads in brass shells.

1 oz. - Trail Boss 23gr(2 3/4 dram equiv.). 1 nitro card, 2cushion wads, 1 over shot card – 1219 fps

1 1/8 oz. - Trail Boss 25gr(3 dram equiv). 1 nitro card, 2cushion wads, 1 over shot card – 1238fps

These were said to be tested by Tom Armbruster, but I did not see any mention of pressure.

I used to use a lot of Trailboss, back when I did cowboy action shooting for 45lc. I like it and it would be wonderful if it could be used a black powder alternative in brass shells. I might play around with the wads as the above recipe(2 cushion wads) does not give me good patterns in black powder loads in a 12 or 10 gauge. You could also lower the above loads for 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 drams for velocity in the 1100s.

Has anyone tried Trailboss in brass shotshells? Does anyone know Tom well enough to see if he would share the pressures on these loads?

I am just curious. I enjoy shooting black powder in brass shells(a lot!), but this looks like it might be worth a try if the pressure was safe for composite barrels.

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited by Jay Oliver; 02-03-2020 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: changed to 3 drams for 2nd load recipe(initially a typo)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

A few guys use Trail Boss in our club single shot rifle matches, bullets go so slow you can see them fly down range through the spotting scope. None score well so I dismissed it as a useful powder for my purposes. The Cowboy shooters like it because it’s bulky and they want very low recoil & velocity.

Seeing your question and curious searched the web for Trail Boss & Shotgun. Internet consensus is it’s too bulky to use in shotshells, can’t get enough in the case to produce adequate velocity. I don’t always trust internet advise.

Like you I load paper hulls with black powder & stacked wads, think it’s a ideal propellant, all I use in my Lifter. Don’t think I would try Trail Boss, Black easily available and works so well. Somebody has hard data Trail Boss, pressure and velocity, could change my mind. Velocity under 1100 FPS would rule it out for me.

William
William Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

William, I really do enjoy shooting my old parkers with black powder shotshells too. Is there anything better getting a double with black powder shells? I don't mind the mess and always enjoy shooting hammer guns with the shells, powder and loads they would have shot when they were new.

I forget how I came across this Trailboss load, but it made me curious to see if others had tried it. Like you, I read some negative reviews of Trailboss as a shotshell powder. Though it seems to work so well in many other applications. The loads I posted had a few positive reviews, which is what got me thinking.

I am going to send a few Trailboss loads to Tom Armbruster for testing(just to see). I might include a 7/8oz. and 2 1/4 dram version. I have another 16 gauge recipe I want to test anyway and I will send them all at once.

I'll report back what I find out. If the velocity and pressure check out it might be worth trying some just to see how they perform.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #4
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jay,

Have you sent an email to Trailboss to see what they say? They responded to me very quickly on a muzzle loader load. I know the powder has too many problems (not enough velocity, pressure rise is not easy to determine by adding more grains to the load) to be used in black powder express double rifles.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would be interested in the results too. If it worked well would probably shoot my lifter more. Much as I like BP I end up shooting smokeless most of the time in offhand club matches with a 38/55 . Black performs just as well no real reason not to use it. We can handle 32 shooters in a match, average attendance 25+ three or four usually use Black Powder. Match long running, 25 years ago half the guns on the line were shooting Black.

Last match friend of mine won the 500 yard buffalo match with a Trapdoor & black powder. Only shooter using black.

William
William Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

The first time I used Trailboss was in a circa 1896 Marlin model 1895 in 40-82 with cast bullets and to be honest I wasn’t overly impressed . Since then I’ve used it for Sub Sonic loads in several 308 bolt actions and the stuff did very well in that application .
Unread 02-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was told, by someone I trust, that Trailboss doesn't like to be compressed. I use it in some of my early (black powder era) cartridge rifles and like it for casual shooting without the cleanup necessary with black. My 577 Snider and my 577-450 Martini-Henry love the stuff.
Unread 02-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Trail Boss recommends you don't use it in shotgun shells. Why, I don't know.
Unread 02-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

I think I remember reading guys trying to use trailboss to develop sub sonic loads in large capacity rifle cases the but pressures would skyrocket .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #10
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I did email Hodgdon a few weeks ago with details from my original post and haven't heard back yet...