Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

English made Parkers
Unread 02-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default English made Parkers

Bet you've never seen a English made Parkers
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854676506

Ive seen alot of Belgium guns with knockoff names similar to the famous names of double shotguns . Like W.Richards and such but never seen that with a American name . It looks to say "The Parker" on the side of it .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Classy repair to the dolls head.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Bet you've never seen a English made Parkers
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854676506

Ive seen alot of Belgium guns with knockoff names similar to the famous names of double shotguns . Like W.Richards and such but never seen that with a American name . It looks to say "The Parker" on the side of it .
they show up here fairly often

and i do wish people would stop calling them "knock offs" since the English Parker family started making guns a hundred years before the Parker Bros. started -

the ones we mostly see are middle grade Birmingham proofed guns - there are Belgium clunkers - but since they usually say Parker not Parker Brothers, i bet they are meant to steal a share of the inexpensive British export market, otherwise that class of Belgium makers would have added brothers to the name to confuse - just like they did with the variations of the Westley Richards name
Unread 02-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
they show up here fairly often

and i do wish people would stop calling them "knock offs" since the English Parker family started making guns a hundred years before the Parker Bros. started -

the ones we mostly see are middle grade Birmingham proofed guns - there are Belgium clunkers - but since they usually say Parker not Parker Brothers, i bet they are meant to steal a share of the inexpensive British export market, otherwise that class of Belgium makers would have added brothers to the name to confuse - just like they did with the variations of the Westley Richards name
Were the belgium guns any good for just say field use ?
Ive been reading about Joseph Manton recently and was finding conflicting information regarding the Belgium guns with the Manton name on them .

I have never seen the English Parkers you speak of when I said knock offs I was referring to all the Belgium guns that use similar names to capitalize on the likeness of the well known names .
Unread 02-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,246 Posts

“Parkers” made in Belgium including Parker-Smith-Williams, T. Parker, Thomas Parker (possibly by Pieper), and C. Parker & Co.,
T. Parker New York were made by Crescent,
E.D. Parker shotguns with English proofmarks were listed in the 1895 Clabrough & Golcher catalog,
William Parker was a gunmaker from 1790 until 1840 and one of the forerunners of Parker, Field & Sons, High Holborn, London, 1841-1876,
The lowest grade guns marketed by P. Webley were sold under the name of Thomas Parker, London c. 1900-1920
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 02-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Belgium makers made everything from guns that were crap to start with up to best guns.
Don't forget our precious Parker Bros. damascus guns we think so highly of mostly wear tubes made in Belgium.

I would guess that most of the ones we see in the US deserve the JABC title (Just Another Belgium Clunker)
a seller could have any name he wanted put on a gun if he ordered a minimum number -
often that was a name we think was designed to fool the buyer, but I wonder if it really did -
i doubt a tourist buying a $25 Rolex in NYC actually thinks he is getting a real Rolex
but more than likely is hoping that at a quick glance from a distance he is going to fool a buddy.

simply put, every Belgium gun has to stand on its own- one of my favorite guns for woodcock hunting is a Henri Pieper hammer gun-
very nice wood, fair engraving, light and fast on birds - he was one of Parker's barrel suppliers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wooscock on moss2.jpg (334.6 KB, 6 views)
Unread 02-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Belgium makers made everything from guns that were crap to start with up to best guns.
Don't forget our precious Parker Bros. damascus guns we think so highly of mostly wear tubes made in Belgium.

I would guess that most of the ones we see in the US deserve the JABC title (Just Another Belgium Clunker)
a seller could have any name he wanted put on a gun if he ordered a minimum number -
often that was a name we think was designed to fool the buyer, but I wonder if it really did -
i doubt a tourist buying a $25 Rolex in NYC actually thinks he is getting a real Rolex
but more than likely is hoping that at a quick glance from a distance he is going to fool a buddy.

simply put, every Belgium gun has to stand on its own- one of my favorite guns for woodcock hunting is a Henri Pieper hammer gun-
very nice wood, fair engraving, light and fast on birds - he was one of Parker's barrel suppliers

I meant I wonder if any of the lower quality guns served any purpose as a field grade gun ? The barrels on my 10 ga muzzleloader are Belgium they have Belgium proof marks even though the rib says London lol . They seem pretty stout though and I have yet to find any pits in them .

A name I see pop up with quality Belgium guns is NEUMANN & CO. LIEGE .
I just thought the GB gun was interesting because I have seen some guns pop up associated with the Parker name but be something else . There was a fellow selling what he said was a Winchester sxs hammergun and I looked at it , it was a Parker Bros TA .

The "Parker" in that GB ad has a Parker Bros butt pad , I was wondering the intentions of putting that on a shotgun marked Parker .
Unread 02-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I meant I wonder if any of the lower quality guns served any purpose as a field grade gun ? T.
understood

that is why I said they need to be evaluated on their own- but if I was to give set answer - i'd say avoid the lowest level Belgium guns as a rule-

they were not a good quality gun to start with and most were used hard for a generation or two.
Unread 02-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
understood

that is why I said they need to be evaluated on their own- but if I was to give set answer - i'd say avoid the lowest level Belgium guns as a rule-

they were not a good quality gun to start with and most were used hard for a generation or two.
I have read that about the big heavy market guns as well , they were tools that were used hard in most cases .