Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Last rooster hunt in Ohio...2019
Unread 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default Last rooster hunt in Ohio...2019

I was invited to hunt Sunday the 12th the last day of our Ohio rooster season. The hunt was on a large section of reclaimed strip mine ground left to grow over. A friend plants birds every fall and hunts them through the season. Some have wintered and chicks have been reported by the farmer...(-: It holds bird year round now. Very private hunting, I am one of three people to hunt this farm. This is late season hunting, very open land. I brought my Parker DHE-16 long shootin rooster slayer, Fiochi HV 5 right and Rem long range 4# left. All serious bird killing medicines. It was overcast and breezy with a chill in the air. We worked my Gordon setter into the wind and she was birdy not long into our hunt. I knew birds were close. She is allowed to get out there and I do try to keep up when she is stalking. I knew she was hot and I started to follow not able to keep up in gun range. Two rooster got up ahead of her 15-20 yards out and out of my guns range. She did not bump them but did push them a bit too hard. They seemed spooky and may have seen us coming. We hunted to the far end and turned back 75 yards further up the field. About 2/4 of the way I could see Ruby birdy again so I headed her way....she flash pointed and moved I knew the bird was close and also had moved. I moved up into gun range and she pointed again moved in pinching the bird between us and that was to much for the rooster so into the air he go's cackling on my left to my hard right. The gun was up, bird crushed, and Ruby right on top of it. I break the gun and my left ejector kicks out the smoking shell....I love that smell! A good clean head shot, love when it all comes together! A great hunt to remember...Enjoy the pics. SXS Ohio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1461.jpg (521.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1458.jpg (494.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1392.jpg (518.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1361.jpg (496.0 KB, 4 views)
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

a good way to end the season...lovely hunting ground...got a nice looking hunting partner...nice parker too i commend you on your choice of shells...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

You had that Parker at Ernie’s in June didn’t you?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

A dog and a gun worthy of the bird!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Dean....I do not think I had it there? , can't remember for sure, life is a blurrr.....Larry Delgrego had it way past his delivery estimate as I remember? It was not back in time?? Looks like I will be keeping her, no one spoke up about my listing so soon it will be headed to my stocker for the final work on the skeleton plate and new screws. I recovered from the shock of buying two DH-16 guns real close together$$$$ They are both paid for now, don't need to sell it at this point...(-: Anyway...I like them both. SXS Ohio
DHE-16
Unread 01-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default DHE-16

This 1910 Parker gun is real nice and I enjoyed hunting with it. The old time engraved dogs look fabulous! I have recovered from the shock $$$ and have decided to have the rest of the needed work completed and keep her. Its was shipped to my stocker last week and will be in the works over the next 4-6 weeks or so. I'm not in any hurry as probably will not be hunting much now and I have other sweet guns to choose from if we do a planed farm hunt next month. I hope we have some snow for that final hunt. Its out getting the but plate screws replaced and recolored. He is also going to drill out the but stock for weight reduction, plug the 1" holes and re-checker. Lastly the auto safe did not work so he will add the needed parts to make that function work. All my SXS guns have had auto safes and I like that for hunting guns. The 1 frame gun makes for a nice hard shooting rooster gun and my other DH-16 O-frame will be set up for grouse. SXS Ohio

Two pictures of the DHE-16 but prior to the repars and one of my cased DH-16
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1442.jpg (504.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1354.jpg (494.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1462.jpg (490.7 KB, 3 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That's certainly a nice fat and mature rooster!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote