Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Parker Lifter
Unread 12-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,245 Times in 616 Posts

Default Parker Lifter

Hello,
I'm currently very interested in buying a Parker 10 Gauge Hammer Underlifter, the 2 guns that I'm trying to decide between are both 30" guns.

#1 is a Grade 1 I believe Stubb Twist barrels, engraving is sharp, engraving is minimal with traces of case color. The only concern with the wood is there is some splinters of wood missing behind the hammers. 7,000 Serial # Range

#2 is a Grade 2, Damascus barrels, wood is of course better as in more figure but checkering is very worn, more engraving but somewhat darkened and with almost no case coloring. This gun has seen much more use by all appearances. 24,000 Serial # Range

I noticed the firing pins on the earlier gun are retracted by a spring where as the later gun seems to be more of floating firing pin setup, any preferences or feelings on which is better?

I'm looking at the new gun to shoot, I like the later gun because of the better wood and more engraving but it has definitely been used quite a bit more. I would also most likely have the checkering redone, hopefully I don't offend any one by mentioning redoing what I believe is an original gun.

So help sway me one way or the other. buy the earlier Grade 1 gun with more condition or buy the later gun Grade 2 with less condition and possibly do some restoration?

Thanks,
Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

The more important questions are how are the bores?.... how is the wall thiskness of the barrels?... is 30" the original length?... what are the chokes in thousandths?.... what is the bore ID in thousandths?

If the gun is not a safe shooter and choked for what you intend to shoot with it, it is money down the drain.

If the barrels on both guns are deemed safe by a qualified gunsmith expert in the area of old classic doubles - I would choose the grade 2.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

I agree with Dean’s assessment with one other consideration. Since it’s a shooter, I would buy the gun whose dimensions fit me best.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Parker Lifter
Unread 12-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Parker Lifter

Thanks for the response Dean & Mike,

Dean,
The barrels length check as original on both at 30". Unfortunately I don't have a barrel wall measuring device, too the naked eye, the inside of the barrels look good, not that they shine like a mirror their complete length, but good.

I am not a dealer by any means, only a shooter/collector. I have seen Jon Hosford's barrel wall gauge and choke gauge in use and would love to own them but I just didn't think I could justify with not more than I would use them. I do own one of Jon Hosford's gun racks and I appreciate his great American craftsmanship.

Are there other measuring tools that are less expensive for a shooter who can't justify the price of Jon's nice tools? I even hate to ask that question since I hate cheap tools.

Mike, the dimensions on both guns are almost identical.

Thanks,
Stan
Unread 12-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Although Jon's tools in my opinion are the best you can buy at a somewhat reasonable price, I could never justify the expense either.

I have used his wall thickness gauge and found it very easy to use..... not so much for other manufacturer's gauges.

Try Galazan's for reasonably priced bore and choke mics and chamber gauges. A good bore mic will usually tell you if the bores have been altered, thus giving a good idea of wall-thickness safety.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,346 Times in 372 Posts

Stan,
Many on this site use the Manson wall thickness gauge with good results. At about $110 it works and is a more affordable option.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ON%2bPRECISION

If you search “Manson” on the forum search bar you’ll pull-up plenty of discussion on this topic. Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I have a Manson gauge but I don’t use it anymore. I could never get consistently accurate readings from it. I think ‘flex’ may have been the problem.... or operator error. In any case, the Hosford gage was IMO superior.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Manson
Unread 12-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Manson

Garth,
I was just looking at the Manson gauge and thought I would order one since I also need to order a 6.5 reamer, now I'm not so sure.

Dean,
thanks for your opinion on the Manson gauge, if you were to buy just one gauge from Hosford, would the barrel wall thickness gauge or the bore gauge tell you more about the overall barrels being original and or safe to shoot?

I'm guessing the bore gauge which you could then compare with OD measurements at different areas of the barrel?

Thanks,
Stan
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
Garth,
I was just looking at the Manson gauge and thought I would order one since I also need to order a 6.5 reamer, now I'm not so sure.

Dean,
thanks for your opinion on the Manson gauge, if you were to buy just one gauge from Hosford, would the barrel wall thickness gauge or the bore gauge tell you more about the overall barrels being original and or safe to shoot?

I'm guessing the bore gauge which you could then compare with OD measurements at different areas of the barrel?

Thanks,
Stan
IMO a bore gauge reading when compared to OD readings will never, without hours of tedious and repetitive measurements, give you any inkling to incongruities in wall thickness.

I would always go to the wall thickness gauge and buy a cheaper bore and choke mic to go along with it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,413 Times in 4,592 Posts

When a manson gauge is used in a similar manner to a Hosford gauge, it does provide pretty accurate readings on general thickness. For the money, it works well.
It is limited on smaller gauges sizes that it can read and it cannot pick up pitting as well as Hosfords.

In regards to the original question...

Go after a sounder gun in the better condition. You cannot go wrong with that. If both of those topics are comparable, then go after the higher grade. Unless one speaks to you more than the other.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!