Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

So Blessed
Unread 12-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default So Blessed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4x...zJXAFKLhjkWB4g

Throughout my life I have been blessed to have had many good friends and hunting buddies. I just turned 75 last month. At the age of 18 I began hunting quail with a friend that I worked with. I remember the first time I saw his dogs point a covey on an after work hunt. He had an English Pointer named Club, an English Setter named Riley and a German Shorthair that I cannot remember his name. That hunt set me on fire. Over the next 32 years I hunted with several fine friends who owned bird dogs. Most all of these men were older than me. One by one they passed away. In my twenty's I had several several boys that worked with me through high school and college. Most of them have done very well in life. I spent some time with them shooting clays and pulling them behind my boat while they skied and such things. At about age fifty my work changed and my hunting buddies passed away and my quail hunting came to an end. I continued to hunt doves through the years and started hunting turkeys about 5 years ago. Recently one of these young men that worked with me and is a son of one of my hunting buddies called. He now owns some property near Kingston Georgia and is in the process of making a hunting preserve. He invited me over to shoot some fezants. The link above will take you to a video of the hunt. The first bird took me by surprise. I expected it to be much faster and shot a little in front. The dog is his oldest, he is getting old. Jasper and I make a good team. I must say that if it was not for Jasper we may not have caught up with any of those running birds. When we knocked one down he would go out of sight and bring them back. Maybe I needed larger shot. I enjoyed the day and it was good to see him after all the years. I didn't know if I could walk but I made it pretty well. Enjoy the show and don't be to critical. This is my first fezant hunt and was quite different from wild Georgia quail back in the day. Merry Christmas. Gerald
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

great hunt a man never gets to old to hunt....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,077 Posts

Gerald, It was very nice of your friend to take you out for a shoot. Those birds that flushed in the timber looked like they were tough shots. I'm glad you got to enjoy reconnecting. Thanks for posting your hunt.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: