Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Mec Reloader Problem
Unread 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

Default Mec Reloader Problem

I am using a Mec 9000G and have had a problem with the brass powder washer slipping out of position and as a result causing light powder drops. I am not using a powder baffle. For the life of me I cannot figure out why it is happening. Problem is that there is no way to detect when it occurs and because of that unknown there could be thousands of shells with light charges. A call to Mec did not yield any real solution other than to replace the washer.

Anybody else experience similar problems? The fix/solution? Mec advised in rather strong words not to use a powder baffle.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Gary;
Is the brass washer inserted with the convex side up with the little dimples and are you using the rubber washer on top of that? I've got the 9000 G and H models and have been using powder baffles forever along with the adjustable charge bars and the only time I experience low powder drops is when I'm on a roll and run out of powder. Duh!
So what is happening with this washer? Is it moving? The only thing I can figure is that your bar is not cycling far enough to the stop position regulated by the screw in the side of the bar.
Unread 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes, I have the washer installed dimples up with the rubber washer on top. And yes, the charge bar is moving entirely to the end of the bolt slot. The washer slides partially under the powder/shot bottle frame which blocks off the powder drop hole.

The interesting thing is that I used the same washer through 100k rounds with the old Clays powder and never had a problem. During the powder shortage I had to switch to ClayDot which necessitated a powder bushing change. Since then I have gone back to the new formula of Clays that requires the same bushing as I used for ClayDot and again the problem popped up. I had installed a new washer before I started loading this winter and I got through 2000 without a hitch and then ...

So, you have been using a baffle. Which one, plastic or metal and are you using it with the brass and rubber washers in place or without?
Unread 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I've got both metal and plastic add on baffles as well as an old powder bottle made by Hoppes with a built in baffle. They all work well and yes I use the brass and rubber washers together. Can't for the life of me figure out why the washer is migrating out of place and if it's connected to the change in your powder or bushing. Mec is usually really good diagnosing these problems and offering a solution. Is your powder bottle snug against the rubber washer almost to the point of binding and is the bushing flush with the bottom of the bar?
Unread 02-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Last year when the problem first surfaced my thought was that the top of the powder bushing was catching the washer and dragging it out of position. On inspection it did seem as though that might be the case as the bushing seemed a whisker proud so I bought a new one that did seem to be a better fit. Apparently that was not the issue as the problem has resurfaced with the new bushing.

Mec seems to believe that the washer is the problem and offered to send me a few at no charge. Nice of them. Supposedly the washer is not supposed to be flat but, rather, be slightly convex to the top. Rather than suggest the bottle was not tight enough they suggested it is over tightened squishing the washer flat. Well, I do check the bottle frequently to make sure it has not loosened but I did not think I over tightened it. That is why I asked about using the powder baffle in conjunction with the grommet and washer. Doing so would seem to exert more pressure on the washer tending to flatten it.

So, my quest to solve the problem continues.
Unread 02-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes, the washer should be in a convex configuration and I doubt you could tighten the bottle down hard enough to flatten it as there is a gap between the bar and the bracket holding the bottles. There was a flat brass washer that came with the earlier 650 models. Does your washer have the dimples and is it convex? Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
Unread 02-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,411 Posts

Gary, be more clear when you say washer. Indicate brass or rubber.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #8
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Just my opinion on what to do:

1. Find the older solid brass washers that were twice as thick as the new style with dimples. I believe this will stop the problem.

2. Use a powder baffle that has its own part that acts as washer. Forget what they said.

3. Are you using a solid bar or an adjustable. Either way, take the bar out and put the powder end in first and see if the gap between the bar and the metal is too loose.

4. I put the dimples down since they act as legs to suspend the brass washer up into the frame of the MEC to prevent it from sliding with the bar. I am guessing instead of the thick brass washer some engineer figured they could cut the cost of brass in half by cutting the thickness in half and pressing the dimples into it.

Is not Convex to the top with the dimples down? I think your washer is upside down. My washers are convex to the top/dimples down.

I think your washer is placed concave to the top/ dimples up.

Just my $0.02.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had the same problem once - drove me crazy until I found the problem. I just threw the washer away, end of problem. Does a little powder leak out - ya, but I could care less. Over on another forum the guys use the red plastic baffle without any washers to stop the powder from leaking. Not the silver metal one but the red one - no rubber or dimpled washer. Good luck - Paul
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 02-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes Paul the solution is obvious. Eliminate the brass washer as you suggested. I guess I'm just stubborn but I would love to know why it is occurring. I have loaded tens upon tens of thousands of rounds and never once had the slightest problem. I am, however, rapidly approaching the application of your remedy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post: