Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 03-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
What I like about this forum is that there is a wide variety of likes and dislikes. It is interesting to hear a variety of opinions. When I saw this thread I thought, oh boy this is tailor made for the light gun guys.

Well, I'm not of that persuasion and I'm an old duffer grouse hunter. I've been down the light gun road more times than I care to remember. Tom says that 6-12 is too heavy for a 20 but to me that is the ideal weight for a 20 gauge grouse gun. My 26" repro weighs 6-12 and is, in my opinion, the finest grouse gun I have ever used. Precisely why I prefer repros to original 20's - they weigh what a 20 should weigh. Just my opinion of course!
IMO that's the ideal weight of a 16 gauge grouse gun, not a 20. I describe my grouse hunting in the local mountains as Chukar hunting with tree's. Hard to carry a 6 lb 12 ounce gun in one hand while you are using the other hand to either push limbs out of the way, or to put on the ground as you are sliding down a pile of shale down the mountain trying not to die.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tutwiler View Post
sliding down a pile of shale down the mountain trying not to die.
Okay, I'm convinced..gotta' start taking trips north and get into some Grouse next season

Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,188 Times in 12,368 Posts

Well, Tom left a few things out... Like the blackberry vines that will shred your skin, the grapevines that will 'clothesline' you, the old deserted beaver bogs that will swallow you whole, the webs of little dead branches in the black spruce thickets that try to poke your eyes out and fall down inside the back of your shirt, the surprise snow squalls that create 'white-out' conditions... the list goes on and on - so a short, light gun is the right gun for grouse hunting.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

I don't remember ever thinking I was going to die, while pheasant hunting. On the other hand, I have vivid memories of thinking I was going to die while grouse hunting, and wondering whether I would ever be found by my companions. I would still rather be "out there" than anywhere else.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #15
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Believe me I have hunted it all. By far the worst cover to be in is a huge multiflora rose patch. You have not grouse hunted real tough cover until you try a rose thicket. The only thing that comes close is the greenbrier of West Virginia. Steep sidehill? Why do you think my one leg is shorter than the other.

I can one hand my repro 20 easily but then it has a pistol grip, not a straight grip. Another difference of opinion. I guess it depends on whether you want to worry about carrying a gun or shooting it often enough to shoot well with it. I'll take the latter.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
One Beautiful gun
Unread 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
Richard Skeuse
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default One Beautiful gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Good catch Rich!

The barrels (26" Q1 & Q2) and the BTFE are from Kathy's Repro but the back half (straight grip and bouble triggers) is mine. The rest of my Repro 28 is splinter forend and 26" barrels IC/MOD. Kathy's back half is double triggers and a pistol grip. It is fantastic to be able to swap parts around on these two great repros.

Mine with the straight grip and Kathy's with the pistol grip.

Dean that is one beautiful gun. Enjoy!
Richard Skeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Skeuse For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #17
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Grouse hunting is not for the faint of heart. Scott and anyone else here is welcome to come enjoy October with me in the Upper peninsula of Michigan chasing the King of the Uplands. This is fairly open cover but you can hardly see Daisy. If I remember correctly the bird got away...as usual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U.P. Grouse 003.jpg (541.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg U.P. Grouse 002.jpg (525.3 KB, 1 views)
Unread 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

For those of you that are not fully aware of ruffed grouse biology, here is a little known but often demonstrated fact. When a grouse flushes their eyes become disconnected so that one eye looks forward and the other looks backward. The rear focused eye is what enables them to put the only tree or bush on the landscape between you and them.

I certainly hope you know I'm joking but if you have hunted them I am sure you have had similar thoughts.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #19
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am always struck by the kindness amongst folks that love good double guns and good bird dogs, what a kind gesture Rich.

Leaves are not even on the trees yet and somehow the colors of fall beckon.

Signs of Spring sure beats a stick in the eye though
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #20
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Grouse hunting is not for the faint of heart. Scott and anyone else here is welcome to come enjoy October with me in the Upper peninsula of Michigan chasing the King of the Uplands. This is fairly open cover but you can hardly see Daisy. If I remember correctly the bird got away...as usual.
That is nice cover Rich. In Connecticut we used to have "cover". Now we have McMansions.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote