Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Single trigger
Unread 01-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Single trigger

I know we've beat this horse before, but I need to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. A couple of years ago I was getting second shot refusal and a rare double (both barrels at the same time) with my single trigger Steel shot special. I sent it to the Miller Single Trigger Co. With the instructions to fix it or install their single trigger. To my surprise, they fixed the gun. ($500) I thought they would surely try to sell me their trigger, ($1,200) but they didn't. I used it several times with no problem, till this morning.
It seems that when I get in a hurry with surprise ducks coming in, I don't get it firmly on my shoulder. Would that situation cause second shot refusal or doubling due to too much "give" for the inertia mechanism to work properly? I'm shooting with the gun on my upper arm on occasion and it seems to malfunction at those times. Am I dreaming this up or can it work (or not work) as I've described? It doubled and didn't fire the second shot on another occasion this morning. Could it be me or is it definitely the gun? Don't want to buy a Miller trigger but I will if I have to. Thanks. Bill
William Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

I don't know much about Repro Single Triggers (read, Nothing), but I have had issues with failure to fire the second barrel on my M3200 Remington because the gloves I was wearing wouldn't allow the triggers to reset. Have seen the same problem on other guns, also
Unread 01-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

All Parker Reproduction single triggers, to my knowledge, are mechanical and not inertia. Therefore, it's likely you're not the reason for it's failure. I would have to say that you've got a mechanical problem and an experienced trigger man should address the issue.
Unread 01-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

The 3200 is also mechanical
Unread 01-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well, whatever the Parker mechanism happens to be, has anyone had failures like I've described? 3 highly recommended gunsmiths have "fixed" the gun including the experts at Miller Triggers. Just trying to figure out if I'm contributing to the problem. Thanks, Bill
Unread 01-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dewey Vicknair fixed my SST issue. After 3 doubling incidents, I figured it was time for a pro to look at it! Dewey said there was a cast piece in the system that was not fitted properly. He fit (fitted?) the part and fired a box of cartridges without any failures. He did everything he could, but was unable to produce a 'double'. Good Luck!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,274 Times in 2,427 Posts

William;
It could very well be the way you hold the gun. With that said Dewey is a master at triggers and everything else with doubleguns. Tell him Daryl sent you. 717-626-4226. You WON'T be disappointed.
Unread 01-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Before sending it off, here's what I would do, (you may need a few boxes of shells):

1. Shoot the gun, making absolutely sure it's firmly held into your shoulder pocket and your trigger finger pulls once, released and then pulled again for the 2nd barrel. If it doesn't double, your technique was faulty when it did double. If it doubles, go to step 2.

2. Have another experienced shotgunner(s) shoot your gun to see if it doubles for them, too. If it doesn't double for them, you're the cause. If it doubles for them, your gun has a mechanical problem. Go to step 3.

3. Seek professional help.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 01-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

that is good sound advise from wild skys...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

The more I think about the trigger problem the more I think it's the gun, not me. This season I've shot almost 2 cases of shells thru my Reproduction 16 ga, several boxes thru my 20 and 28 repros and shot skeet with the DHE .410. Didn't get one shot refusal or experience doubling with any of them. I guess I didn't want to believe I had wasted almost $1000 on this gun with 3 different gunsmiths over the last couple of years. I'm going to contact the Miller people to see if they will credit some of the $500 I paid them for repair, toward a new Miller trigger. At least they will guarantee it to work.
I like the gun, it has Briley thin wall chokes and an English stock with beaver tail forend. It fits me well so I'm not going to give up.
Thanks for letting me bounce this off everyone and I really appreciate all the advice and comments. Bill