Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #11
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

No! Here in northwest Iowa the last thing we need is any more nonresident hunters. The first three weeks of the season are downright spooky. NR hunters camp out in the parking sites at public hunting areas. They drive where they are not allowed. Trash the ditches. Not all of them mind you, but enough to tar the whole group. And I won’t even address their propensity to shoot hens figuring correctly that the one CO we have in the county probably won’t catch them.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,075 Posts

Jeff, Rest assured I'm not begging for more out of state hunters to visit Iowa, but the DNR announcements I get bemoan the low pheasant hunter numbers. I like my fields without competition. I do think Brett could revisit his old haunts and be counted on to not cause any trouble. Come to think of it, I'm an out of state Iowa hunter, and have been for over 30 years. I hope you'll continue to let me cross the border and take a bird now and then.

BTW, Elaine and I missed seeing you in Minnesota this past October. The birds were there, but the weather was colder than normal. Maybe next year?
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
NR hunters
Unread 11-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #13
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default NR hunters

Garry— check pm. I really missed the North Woods. Best wishes to Eileen. Jeff
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #14
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

No worries Jeff, at last count we had around 7000 acres of private property to hunt. A handshake and maybe a pound box of Sarris Candy. I still get plenty of Christmas Cards from Iowa. Sincerest group of people I have come to know. But now my heart is all in following a Setter through Aspen laced with some hawthorn.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 11-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
No worries Jeff, at last count we had around 7000 acres of private property to hunt. A handshake and maybe a pound box of Sarris Candy. I still get plenty of Christmas Cards from Iowa. Sincerest group of people I have come to know. But now my heart is all in following a Setter through Aspen laced with some hawthorn.
So, Brett, I won't tell you about the grouse in Northeastern Iowa and Southeastern Minnesota. Forget I even mentioned it.

At the risk of getting kicked out of Missouri, I agree with your sentiments about Iowans.
Unread 11-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
So, Brett, I won't tell you about the grouse in Northeastern Iowa and Southeastern Minnesota. Forget I even mentioned it.

At the risk of getting kicked out of Missouri, I agree with your sentiments about Iowans.
Oh I may have taken a gander at that corner. Our youngest is set to get hitched next summer to a wonderful young man that hails not so very far from there in Iowa. Buzzy the Setter pup is getting him accustomed to having bird dog hair on him every time they visit. While I have noticed he made eye contact with the dog. Also he liked the bird pants and Russell boots I lent him while he helped me split wood. Right handed, looks like 14 3/8" -1/2". He has a new car that could fit two dog boxes. And thinks nothing of driving 10- 12 hours.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
Oh I may have taken a gander at that corner. Our youngest is set to get hitched next summer to a wonderful young man that hails not so very far from there in Iowa. Buzzy the Setter pup is getting him accustomed to having bird dog hair on him every time they visit. While I have noticed he made eye contact with the dog. Also he liked the bird pants and Russell boots I lent him while he helped me split wood. Right handed, looks like 14 3/8" -1/2". He has a new car that could fit two dog boxes. And thinks nothing of driving 10- 12 hours.
Break him in right(!) Nothing better than to have a younger guy that can tote and fetch on a hunting trip (I've been that toter and fetcher on more than one occasion in my life). It also helps to keep one optimistic about the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: