Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Grayson Assists!
Unread 10-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Grayson Assists!

Grayson and I have expanded our Adirondack grouse hunting territory to include the western areas around Old Forge, NY. Yesterday near Thendara we found a lone bird near the top of the ridge. He was off to my left and I flushed the bird off to my right. It flew low toward the other side of the ridge and I snapped a shot at it. Not sure about whether I hit it or not, I gave Grayson the "Dead Bird!" command and he started toward me but then veered off to his left and circled out in front. I was not sure what he was doing but he ended up downwind of the top of the ridge and I could hear his bell heading toward the top where I'd shot at the bird. I followed as quickly as I could and when I got up there he was standing over the dead bird. For me, it was amazing that he circled downwind to catch the scent of the bird and move into find it.

The next day we were in the Moose River Plains and high on the side of a beechwood ridge. He was below me and moving up to my right while I was confirming our position relative to where my truck was parked (GPS.) I figured out where we were and as he approached I took one step and a grouse flushed out in front of us. I saw it moving left and as it came out into the open I fired and saw a good hit. The bird fell into the tree tops above our position but all I had was a line of direction. Grayson was looking at me on full alert, I again commanded "Dead Bird!" and he took off. When I caught up with him he was frantically moving back and fourth below a 10 foot ledge. It was obvious that he thought the bird was up there so I inloaded my gun (Parker GH 1 frame 20 ga made in 1900) and made my way up there by climbing a tree that was close to the rock face. Sure enough, the bird was there! I never would have found it without him.

Yesterday and today we've had four flushes and got two grouse. I did find a large area of low lying alder thicket surrounded by mixed conifer and hardwoods. It looked like fantastic grouse and woodcock cover, but by then it was raining heavily so we didn't hunt it. I marked it in my DeLorme Atlas for future exploration. Tomorrow we are off to Fort Drum to check the area out for the first time. I hear the bird hunting is good there so we'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: png Grayson w_grouse, 20Oct19.PNG (428.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg Grayson w_grouse1, 20Oct19.jpg (198.5 KB, 20 views)
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Grayson
Unread 10-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #2
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Grayson

Don't our dogs amaze us all the time my Brit Dessa never ceases to amaze me ! Ain't it great!! Best for the coming year!!
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,073 Posts

It's an added bonus when a pointer enthusiastically wants to hunt dead. A dog like that can raise your shooting average!

BTW, that is one beautiful dog.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,181 Times in 12,364 Posts

Grayson is a handsome boy! I can't get over how closely he resembles his mother Grace and his Grand-sire Earl's Coronation. Earl didn't have the orange ticking Grayson displays, as do all of Grayson's litter-mates, but Grace does and the sire, Coronation's Burdock is an orange belton.

I love to read of his hunting successes Ted. Please keep it up. Wonderful stuff!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here's Grayson again with another grouse. He did not lock up on point but this bird had moved a considerable distance through the cover we were in and I could tell Grayson was trailing it. His stalking form is slow and deliberate and while his tail at first was swinging side to side, as we got closer I could see he was becoming much more intense. The bird did not let us get too close but the woods were open enough for me to see it and get two shots off. The second one did the trick. I love how he holds at the shot. Many dogs seem to want to bolt after the flushing bird but Grayson's instinct seems to be to hold. This gives me the opportunity to take control and give commands. He found the bird quickly but still needs encouragement to retrieve. This day I was hunting with my grandfather's 1906 GH 12 gage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grayson, 03Nov19.jpg (315.2 KB, 8 views)
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ted,Thats a great looking dog you have. Thanks for sharing your story, you told it very well.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Twombly setters
Forum Associate

Member Info

he will improve with each bird you get him on. his sisters are doing great too. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

It makes me very happy and proud that Grayson (and his sisters) are doing so well.

Unread 11-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hicks View Post
Here's Grayson again with another grouse. He did not lock up on point but this bird had moved a considerable distance through the cover we were in and I could tell Grayson was trailing it. His stalking form is slow and deliberate and while his tail at first was swinging side to side, as we got closer I could see he was becoming much more intense. The bird did not let us get too close but the woods were open enough for me to see it and get two shots off. The second one did the trick. I love how he holds at the shot. Many dogs seem to want to bolt after the flushing bird but Grayson's instinct seems to be to hold. This gives me the opportunity to take control and give commands. He found the bird quickly but still needs encouragement to retrieve. This day I was hunting with my grandfather's 1906 GH 12 gage.
Gosh, what a pretty head on that pup!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

If I may take the liberty - this is Grayson at just few weeks old. A beautiful pup, as were all of his litter mates.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0492.jpg (486.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5587.jpg (497.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Red 3.jpg (510.2 KB, 0 views)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: