Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

RST Shotshells- Which ones do you shoot?
Unread 06-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
Mike Breitenbach
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default RST Shotshells- Which ones do you shoot?

Looking to buy more shells from RST for my 16 Gauge VH. I have had good luck with them in the past, but wanted to tap into the collective knowledge of this groups to see which ones you use on your Parker (Specifically for upland hunting)

A couple of questions:

Is it ok to shoot to shoot copper plated? I would assume yes, but wanted to double check

7/8, 3/4, of 1 oz. -Any advantages with one from patterning?

Paper or Plastic wads- Any upside or downside?

Any other low pressure non-toxic options out there?
Mike Breitenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

I shoot the 3/4 load for all of my shooting with the exception of turkey hunting. That would include target shooting, upland birds and dove hunts. I find they meet my needs just fine.
Unread 06-15-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am new to using RST shells but my fledgling experience has been very positive. I have tried Falcon Lite 2 3/4" shells for both 12 ga and 20 ga, 7/8 oz and 1 oz with #7 1/2 and #8 shot. They patterned very well out of Parkers choked IC and mod. I tested these at 30 yards and found nowhere in the pattern that a grouse or woodcock would not be hit.

This past weekend I tested 2 1/2" RST Lites with 1 oz #6 and #5 shot out of a 12 ga DH with 30" Damascus barrels choked full and full. Again, the patterns were tight and evenly dispersed at 40 yards with no place for a turkey head or neck to fit.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Hicks For Your Post:
Unread 06-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,393 Times in 682 Posts

Mike:

Nothing scientific here, and no patterning, but here goes:

I have shot mostly RSTs in my two 16-gauge guns for about seven years.

Early-on I tried Gamebore 2 ½ inch shells in my 0-framed 16 and the kick from those began to subluxate my right shoulder.

So, I switched to RST Ultra Lites at 1100 fps ¾ oz. #8 shot, which have given me my best scores at skeet. But it seemed that when upland hunting for Ruffed Grouse I “killed them deader” with the Falcon Lite 7/8ths oz. at 1125 fps # 8 shot.

This describes what I use in the VH 16 gauge, 26-inch barreled 0-frame gun choked cylinder and modified.

The other VH 16 with 28-inch barrels, ckoked full and full, I shoot much less frequently, but have for it RST Spreader loads at 1150 fps 7/8th #8 shot. I can not report to you how it has performed in the uplands, as it has only been used (by me) for clay targets.

All three RST shells described are plastic and 2 ½ inch in length.
Unread 06-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

I shoot RST shells in 10 gauge, 12, 16, 20, and 28. I shoot 2 1/2” shells in all of my Damascus guns and either 2 1/2” or 2 3/4” in my fluid steel barreled guns.
Of course the 10 gauge shells are 2 5/8” or 2 7/8” and I’ll use either in my 3-frame Damascus guns, one of which is a 4-digit Lifter with the chamber ending in the sharp-edged rim rather than a forcing cone.

I will use off-the-shelf 2 3/4” loads in my DH 2-frame Titanic barreled gun when turkey hunting.

RST in both cheddite hulls or paper... they’re all good but I like paper best when I’m hunting grouse and woodcock, just for that nostalgic feeling I guess.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
Mike Breitenbach
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gents, thank you for sharing. I mostly hunt woodcock and grouse and think I will go with the Falcon’s in #7.5. I am also considering buying a box of the woodcock shells as they may be interesting to try in coverts where grouse are not probable. Dean, do the paper hulls have some type of coating to prevent moisture absorption? Would also like to try some of these too.

Any other feedback on the copper plated shot or other 16 gauge 2.5 non-toxic options?

Thanks again!

Mike
Unread 06-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

I personally think the RST woodcock loads in #10 shot are more of a 'boutique' load and I find #8 shot in their standard "Lite" or "Feather Lite" loads to be about perfect for both grouse and woodcock in any type of cover - dense, open or mixed, and at ranges that have surprised me when I took shots at 35 to 40 yards... which I should not really have taken... and the birds dropped either dead or unable to run or fly.

The paper shells are either lacquered cardboard or something like that. I have some that I've carried in my vest pocket for several years with no harm to the shell at all, except that of showing their age in grime.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
Mike Breitenbach
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean, thanks for your perspective on the #10 shot...you are probably right. My line of thinking is that I would damage the meat less during close early season shots; 7-8s definitely do the trick. Definitely less versatile however, as I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking a shot at a grouse w/ #10 shot. I am definitely going to try some paper shells and maybe pass on the woodcock shells
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Breitenbach For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #9
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I shoot the 3/4 load for all of my shooting with the exception of turkey hunting. That would include target shooting, upland birds and dove hunts. I find they meet my needs just fine.
I'm liking the 3/4 loads in both 12 & 16.
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!