Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,360 Times in 12,409 Posts

It's a vry nice CHE... love that straight grip!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,670 Times in 4,635 Posts

Is it just the pictures, or does the wood look low next to the metal at the corners of the frame? Checkering looks very nice.
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean, Chuck has pointed out that the checkering on the cheeks differ, one side from the other. On closer examination, it appears that oil/stain makes it look as if the checkering is taken all the way out to the receiver. The wood is dark against the receiver, giving it the look of continuous checkering. Otherwise, the checkering is nice. And the drop of 3" fits me like a glove.

Brian, as for the 'step' from the cheeks' wood to the adjacent metal, that is no illusion. The walnut is a few thou below the metal. I'll sweat that when my grandson is shooting it! But it is another mystery.........what all has gone on with this C?
Jack Selman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,780 Posts

Good grief! You mean I was right about the trigger? It did have a Parker look to it. Great gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,869 Times in 2,032 Posts

Wow, hell of a nice gun--love 16 guages. It really makes me want to have my DHE O frame 26" 16 evaluated by someone with some knowledge and expertise. I have posted about this gun (Dec)- factory letter says pistol grip but gun has straight grip with matching ser#. Anybody in the eastern Ohio, Wv, or western Pa areas care to give a look? I would love to go to th e NE SXS shoot at Hausman's but just cant swing it with work--I know Ernie, last time I hunted with him in the UP he was carrying a little B grade Fox 20 and the next day a 21/2" English 12.
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,670 Times in 4,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Selman View Post
Brian, as for the 'step' from the cheeks' wood to the adjacent metal, that is no illusion. The walnut is a few thou below the metal. I'll sweat that when my grandson is shooting it! But it is another mystery.........what all has gone on with this C?

You had noted the lack of a S/N under the guard. This hints to it being a replacement stock.
Also, checkered action panels were not typically used on C grades. And the shape of yours in relation to the action panels looks below Parker quality. So that is most likely not original to the gun.
Also, the Checkering on the grip LOOKS like it might be finer than the checkering on the forend. But I cannot see both in the same picture, so it is hard to tell.

And if the wood is low against the metal, I would say that it was made that way from the start, or it was oversanded in a refinish at some time.
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,990 Times in 1,428 Posts

Brian,

The order book states to Panel and Checker the sides of the stock. The one panel looks pretty good, the other side not as good. The question is still is the stock a Parker Stock?
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,990 Times in 1,428 Posts

Brian,

The order book states to Panel and Checker the sides of the stock. The one panel looks pretty good, the other side not as good. The picture of the side of the stock Jack showed above is the good one. The question is still is the stock a Parker Stock?
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Maybe the jury is still out but I suspect the stock is a honest attempt at duplication of the original, including the checkered cheeks. The combination of bluing applied to the forend and butt, along with obvious oil that has leached into the wood aft of the breech balls, detracts somewhat but still works for me from an aesthetic angle.

Harold and I must live with the mysteries. Just like firing pins, stocks break. How and when they were repaired or replaced matters as a curiosity. Is a repaired stock more desirable than a decent replacement? Fords v Chevies in my neck of the woods. But to a purist, the original, pinned or not, gets the nod. My guess.

She'll be put to the test June 6 when some sidekicks show for a clay bird bar-b-cue.
I hope I don't let her down!
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean,

157xxx. Sorry. Senior moment!