Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

You are most welcome Jerry
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #31
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default You are most welcome Jerry

[quote=Jerry Andrews;37836]You really must pick your battles in life. If you rage war on everything that happens you'll be a miserable SOB. I live pretty upbeat day to day. I've been a lucky guy in business, marriage and have three daughters that love me. So all in all this gun is not worth the hassle. It's nice there are ways to get the word out about them however. People usually get what's theirs. Like Mark Twain said, " He who carries a cat by it's tail is about to learn things he can learn no other way. ". Jerry

O & R, thank you for the kind words![/-- Have to admire a man who can quote from one of my favorite "sages" ever- Samuel Langhorn Clemens- I like best his phrase about learning from bitter experience, and again, the apparent feline thread is apparent here as well: "A cat who has sat on a hot stove once will never visit a kitchen again!""

Life is, indeed, way too short to spend it planning revenge against those who would choose to "short-change" us, whether they be Bernie Madoff or Messers Marshall and Allen. The word about their apparently intentional favoritism in a auction/business deal will spread, and perhaps they'll be reduced to trying to sell rusty farm implements-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #32
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Jerry, A very true statement and a great attitude. Thanks for your thoughts and I am sure the membership here will be better off by not dealing with these people. Over time it will cost them more in lost revenue than just this one deal. A good reputation is an expensive thing to uphold at times.
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Jerry, A very true statement and a great attitude. Thanks for your thoughts and I am sure the membership here will be better off by not dealing with these people. Over time it will cost them more in lost revenue than just this one deal. A good reputation is an expensive thing to uphold at times.
Just bringing this to light Jerry has cost them and it will continue to cost them so in the end you did win and it didn't cost you and you can feel good about it (I know I do, as I have cost one auction house over 60K ($9,000 in commission and almost twice the cost of the gun I bought) in sales over what they did to me). As said a "Good reputation is an expensive thing to uphold at times." Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #34
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Gentlemen,
I never imagined this thread would go this far. My blood pressure is too high to keep my anonimity any longer. I am the instigator of this thread. I had consigned four solid Parker Under Lifters to this auction. Jerry, your gun was NOT one of mine. I asked my friend and ex-neighbor Asa Kelley, to post the original heads up, to inform fellow members of this auction. Here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, this auction is widely advertised as "The premier gun auction of the mid Atlantic States". I live on the edge of the world and it seemed like a good opportunity to make some money on guns I no longer wanted. I spoke to the auction house on the phone, and they claimed that past auctions drew bids from twenty-six states, by internet, phone, and in person. My experience with auctions has been that Parkers bring their value or sometimes much more.

After the auction ended, I apologized to Asa for getting him involved. I want to apologize to all of you for leading you down the road on a bogus auction. I usually live and learn everything in this life "the hard way". Jerry, I'm sorry for your aggravation, but I'm glad you didn't lose any money. I don't know who bought my four guns, shills, dealers, I don't know. In the final analysis, I lost almost $1,000.00. I am the cat that jumped on the stove.

Dave Purnell
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Purnell For Your Post:
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Experience is the best teacher - She tests first, then teaches.

Experience is often costly.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #36
Jerry Andrews
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave, none of this is your fault, that's for sure. You did this all in good faith and as a group we need people like you to bring things forward. The fact that this particular auction house did what they did is certainly no fault of yours.
My wife is a physical therapist here in WV in pediatrics. She has children/patients who will never walk, jump, run skip, say their first word, walk down the aisle someday, walk across the stage for graduation, play ball of any kind, HOLD a ball of any kind but most of them smile. Their parents smile. So I feel pretty tiny complaining about a gun I didn't get. I wish I would never have posted originally also. I have more double guns than I could ever shoot on a regular basis. It was childish of me to complain and get everyone else involved.
With that said, we also as a group if we are going to bid at auctions, need know who the stiinkers are. So the thread has merit, we just need to keep in all in perspective. I get spiteful and that's not a gracious quality in a person. I think we need to move on and concentrate on the positive. Spring is coming and I know of some native brook trout willing to bend the little 7ft 3wt cane rod I've built over the winter. God Bless our military, present and past serving, Jerry
Jerry Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Andrews For Your Post:
Visit Jerry Andrews's homepage!
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #37
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Jerry, Good thoughts there. I think I'll try to catch the tide today and put my little boat in the water. I hear the Perch are running.

Dave
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Well spoken indeed Dave.
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #38
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Well spoken indeed Dave.

Even though I am NOT an auction buyer or for that matter, consignor, you have clarified for all of us on the PGCA Forum what exactly happened. Your words ring true for me, and I believe your willingness to come forth and give us all the "Paul Harvey- rest of the story" details will possibly prevent future incidents such as this one. As for the Mark Twain quotes- yes indeed. But as Mark Twain lived and wrote in an era without microwave ovens, his sage observations about cats and stoves is most telling- I wonder what the greatest American fiction writer (Hemingway's words of praise) would say if he saw a foto on my daughter's Calico cat sleeping on top of the microwave in her kitchen??
Enjoy the new 7 ft. 3 wt. Lee Wulff would smile!
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #39
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Enjoy the new 7 ft. 3 wt. Lee Wulff would smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Andrews View Post
Dave, none of this is your fault, that's for sure. You did this all in good faith and as a group we need people like you to bring things forward. The fact that this particular auction house did what they did is certainly no fault of yours.
My wife is a physical therapist here in WV in pediatrics. She has children/patients who will never walk, jump, run skip, say their first word, walk down the aisle someday, walk across the stage for graduation, play ball of any kind, HOLD a ball of any kind but most of them smile. Their parents smile. So I feel pretty tiny complaining about a gun I didn't get. I wish I would never have posted originally also. I have more double guns than I could ever shoot on a regular basis. It was childish of me to complain and get everyone else involved.
With that said, we also as a group if we are going to bid at auctions, need know who the stiinkers are. So the thread has merit, we just need to keep in all in perspective. I get spiteful and that's not a gracious quality in a person. I think we need to move on and concentrate on the positive. Spring is coming and I know of some native brook trout willing to bend the little 7ft 3wt cane rod I've built over the winter. God Bless our military, present and past serving, Jerry
== Jerry, my friend- your description of what your wife deals with on a daily basis recalls to my mind the wisdom of the Hindu-- "I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet!"--
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #40
Jerry Andrews
Forum Associate

Member Info

So true O & R, so true! My wife is an angel, and has the greatest attitude 99.9% of the time. The time she's down however, she's really down but...I can't say much as she has one tough job. We've been to a lot of funerals with little caskets. it's sad. Jerry
Jerry Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Jerry Andrews's homepage!