Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Making them look untouched
Unread 07-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

Default Making them look untouched

The owner of this DH wanted the checkering recut.

Pointing everything up to be like new would just not fit in with the surrounding finishes, which were original and showing signs of age and use.

A very careful job was done of cleaning and deepening each line so that the end result is one that does not suggest any work was done. It looks like it wore that way with use over the years. But it is much better than before.

The hinge pin screw was also very buggered up so it was replaced with a good used one. and properly timed.

My goal with work like this is for me to be able to casually see the gun years later and not recognize that I worked on it. It has happened a few times, and I love it when it does.

Before

20180516_210507.jpg

20180516_210523.jpg

20180516_210602.jpg

20180516_210659.jpg

After

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg
allen newell, Bill Holcombe, Bill Jolliff, Bill Zachow, Bob Jurewicz, Bob Kimble, Brett Hoop, Brett Souder, Brian Arthur, Christian Gish, Daniel G Rainey, Daryl Corona, Dave Noreen, Dave Tatman, Dean Freeman, Dean Romig, edgarspencer, Eric Eis, Eric Johanen, Frank Cronin, Garry L Gordon, Garth Gustafson, Gary Carmichael Sr, Harold Lee Pickens, Harry Collins, Henry McRoberts, hugh rather, Jacob Duke, James L. Martin, Jay Gardner, Joe Dreisch, John Knobelsdorf II, keavin nelson, Kirk Potter, Lloyd Bernstein, Loren A Wilcox, Louis Caissie, Mark Garrett, Mark Landskov, Mark Ray, Marty Kohler, Michael Meeks, Mike Franzen, Milton C Starr, Paul Ehlers, Phil Yearout, Richard Flanders, Rob Marshall, Ron Gebhart, Russell E. Cleary, Sara LeFever, Scot Cardillo, Stephen Hodges, Steve Hagen, Steve Huffman, Tom Pellegrini, Wayne Owens, William Woods
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Nice Brian, you did this for me a while back on a GHE which turned out just fine. I call it "refreshing" which still retains some of the patina left on the gun from scratches, bumps, etc. but does'nt look refinished.
Unread 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Nice work Brian. Your mullered borders are as good as any I have seen, and better than most.

It is nice to see a used gun that still has the 'worn flat' diamonds in parts of the grip area - the sharp pyramids are just so out of place on an otherwise used gun.... IMHO.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,842 Posts

Real sweet. That's a great idea and approach and you had a perfect candidate with that that DH. Nice work !!
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 07-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
dan myshin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Simply put, well done!
dan myshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

The work that Brian did is an indicator of his skil and attention to detail. I hate to see recut checkering on an old gun that looks brand new and has all the diamonds pointed up, which is incorrect for a Parker. I do the checkering on old guns the way Brian does, but I do put a bit of "patina" color on using a tooth brush. It's good to kmow there artisans out there like Brian who do work that is historically correct and matches the overall condition of the gun.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Actually, I don't know of any other artisans that have Brian's insight and skills. My hat is off to him. He is a breath of fresh air.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

A couple of years ago I sent Brian a Parker VH 16 Gauge on a 0 Frame with a stock that was a basket case. Cracked at the wrist with a very poorly fitted replacement over sized butt plate. The finish on the stock was all but gone. When he sent the gun back to me I could not believe my eyes. He had fixed the stock, re-fashioned the butt and installed a perfectly fitting butt-plate, gently re-cut the checkering and put a nice, what i call a "hunter finish" on the stock leaving some marks that were there. The gun looked "right" in every respect.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
Actually, I don't know of any other artisans that have Brian's insight and skills. My hat is off to him. He is a breath of fresh air.
Not to detract from the nice work Brian does but you really need to examine more guns worked on by the likes of Brian Board, David Trevallion, “The Stock Doctor”, and of course one of my most favorites, Chris Dawe.

These are just the ones off the top of my mind at the moment - there are others.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Not to detract from the nice work Brian does but you really need to examine more guns worked on by the likes of Brian Board, David Trevallion, “The Stock Doctor”, and of course one of my most favorites, Chris Dawe.

These are just the ones off the top of my mind at the moment - there are others.

There are great one's out there of course other than Brain. Turnbull restores guns to new and probably the others too. Although, I'm sure that they will do "untouched" if you ask them. Brian seems to have an affinity for untouched, which is what I like and admire. Turnbull does great work, but a 100 year old gun restored to new doesn't look right to me. Its a bit out of place in my perspective which is why I would never buy a fully restored gun by anyone. To each his own, but I like guns to look like they were cared for but not brand spanking new.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: