Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 11-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

That is Bill Schwarz and he is supposed to be good too. He is in Ellijay, which is a long ways from me and also requires me to drive through Atlanta.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

That extractor shouldn't be too big of a problem to replace. I would contact PGCA member Brian Dudley and see if he can help you out there. You can replace that yourself but make sure you also get the retaining screw. Harry's suggestion for tightening up the looseness is a good one but you might want to start with aluminum foil and work up to something thicker. Can you post a pic of the muzzle?
Call rst for 10 gauge ammo or take a walk on the wild side and make black powder loads. From the pics of the outside of the barrels, which look good, and your assessment of the pitting I would think she's fine to shoot. You'll be amazed what these 10 gauge parkers can do
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 11-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #13
Rob Marshall
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here are a few pictures of the muzzle, bores and stock which appears to have had some light checkering.

Rob Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Marshall For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

As you can tell, it is rough, but a good cleaning might surprise you. Also, I have found that the old Parkers can take a lot of pitting and still be perfectly safe to shoot (they can also be dangerous, so get it checked).

That is not a gun you would restore and expect to be able to get your money back out of it. It would be for sentimental reasons or for the same reason some people fix up old cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 11-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

I can see the old checkering. I'm always amazed at these gun with the checking worn smooth. They saw a lot of carry time. It doesn't look like your barrels have been cut. Check the ribs to see if they are tight. See if they ring. If they do I would test fire each barrel with RST ammo using a string. You should have a fine hunter there.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 11-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
John E. Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

If you just want to try her out, take a short length of brass or copper rod with you. Dropped from the muzzle, that'll knock an empty right out on the ground. May not be very suitable for the duck blind or rabbit hunting when the action's hot, but it will at least let you successfully test fire the old girl until you can get a proper extractor fitted.
John E. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John E. Williams For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
Rob Marshall
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mike's article in the Parker Pages has me looking at shooting some black powder. It looks like it would be a blast to try. I think I will call Jerry Andrews to see if he has time to look this ole beater over and have it back in time for the second part of our duck season. I have used him before and he has pretty quick turn around and he is a heck of a nice guy. You know my late father always said "boys take care of your guns and they will last a life time" and I never really gave it much thought until I started buying some older shotguns that you know was used for hunting for food to possibly survive. I can picture the guy that owned this gun first going out at daylight and hunting till dark almost daily killing food for his family and for market and I bet the first or second thing he did when he got home from a long day of hunting was clean his gun. Its still hard to believe a working mans shotgun 130years old has survived to hopefully be shot again to put meat on the table. I guess it just goes to show how well built these shotguns are and If you take care of them they will last for more than one lifetime.
Unread 11-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Tell Jerry Mills said hello. He fixed two L C Smiths of mine and did a great job.
Unread 11-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #19
Rob Marshall
Forum Associate

Member Info

I ordered my letter for this gun and it came in today. It shipped Aug 22nd to Hibbards Spencer Bartlett & Co of Chicago, IL. It is a Quality R, Top Action Hammer Gun, 10ga. It featured Twist steel barrels 30" in length. The price was $60.00. The stock configuration is capped pistol grip and its specs are Lop: 14 1/4", drop at heel 3". Weight 10Lbs 2oz. The choke were patterned RH 195 pellets and LH 195 pellets of size 8 shot in a 24" circle at 45 yards. No repair or changes are recorded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Marshall For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Wow! That's a pretty tight choke.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote