Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Has anyone used the ch 8 ga swagging dies ?
Unread 07-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default Has anyone used the ch 8 ga swagging dies ?

Ive been talking to Dave the owner of CH dies about his two set swagging dies for 8 ga industrial cases . He says he was experimented alot with them and gave me a detailed description how they work . Im waiting to hear back on if they work on the one piece case heads or just the two piece one which are the remington hulls if i recall .

I think using imperial sizing wax this would take alot of pain out of re sizing 8 ga hulls which i know some of yall do by hand or on a lathe .

This is how he said it works

First die has a radius to squeeze the 'BELT" Which is actually another band of brass, rather than peeling it. Second die takes that diameter clear to the rim. I experimented extensively with this & could not make it work with only one die.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i was given some measurements for a dye to swage the 8 ga hull a fellow made me a dye by the measurements it works in one step on all 8 ga hulls... some fellow builds a loader out of a 10 ga 600 junior into the 8 ga....maybe someone will jump in here...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i was given some measurements for a dye to swage the 8 ga hull a fellow made me a dye by the measurements it works in one step on all 8 ga hulls... some fellow builds a loader out of a 10 ga 600 junior into the 8 ga....maybe someone will jump in here...charlie
I was looking into the RMC brass hulls but they are planning on closing doors.
Dave said he said he wasnt sure if it works on the single piece industrial cases.

What case lube do you use when sizing ?

Im months away from picking up a 8 ga cartridge gun but I just want to get my ducks in a row so to speak .
Unread 07-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

I made a two sided ring die that sizes down the base reinforcement on the base of the industrial cases in two steps. I lube them and use a arbor press to push them in and then put a wood dowel in the case and push it back out with the press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 gauge sizer 001.jpg (492.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 8 gauge sizer 002.jpg (490.9 KB, 0 views)
Unread 07-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis E. Jones View Post
I made a two sided ring die that sizes down the base reinforcement on the base of the industrial cases in two steps. I lube them and use a arbor press to push them in and then put a wood dowel in the case and push it back out with the press.
Does this work with the once piece case head ? I think its the winchesters than the base is once piece and the remingtons are two piece .

Though I found a picture of someone resizing the Winchester 8 ga hulls but didnt say what they were using to do it or method . It was a big red press and they were star crimping them.

Not sure now if im am going to try and get a 8 gauge or not .
I have the 8 gauge muzzleloader on the way . Guess it will depend on several factors and what I can find come around November .
Unread 07-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

milt on my 8 ga die i dont even have to use any oil works fine on any 8 ga hull made i have seen so far...press down for sizeing and then i turn it over and use a 3/8 size extension from my craftsman tools and press it out....perfect every time....when i first loaded 8 ga hulls i used a set of coduit wire pliers to shape the hull they did not look very pretty but it worked real good...just a idea for you.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
milt on my 8 ga die i dont even have to use any oil works fine on any 8 ga hull made i have seen so far...press down for sizeing and then i turn it over and use a 3/8 size extension from my craftsman tools and press it out....perfect every time....when i first loaded 8 ga hulls i used a set of coduit wire pliers to shape the hull they did not look very pretty but it worked real good...just a idea for you.....charlie
Haha Charlie I think I have some hulls from you that had the plier method applied to them I will take a picture of them later . That had to be 5 years ago or longer !
Unread 07-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #8
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie here are the 8 ga loads I got from you years ago I think back when you was using the pliers . I always wondered the two bulges on the bottom of the rim is that a process from reloading the 8 ga hulls or did they come like that ?

The 10 gauge next to them is a 3oz load from nitro ammo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8ga1.jpg (45.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8ga2.jpg (50.7 KB, 0 views)
Unread 08-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Those two bulges are from the factory. Your are over thinking this to much. The measurements I gave Charlie work fine and any machinist can make the die for a very nominal fee. Do a search of this forum and you will find a print for the die.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Milton, take next month's paycheck and buy 30 RMC eight gauge empties before they go out of business. There won't be any more. I have never loaded mine, but they are in reserve when my paper Winchesters wear out.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote