Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

George's 3-inch 241231

Attached Images
File Type: jpg three inch purtill 1.jpg (525.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg three inch purtill 2.JPG (275.0 KB, 4 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #22
Mike Bartlett
PGCA Member

Member Info

For those interested in 3 in chambered 12 ga. Parkers for use in the field, i.e. Turkey and Waterfowl, they can be produced from low-grade, 2-frame 12 Parkers. Presently, we have Ten (10) 2-frame 12 VH & Trojans with 30 in barrels that have had the chambers lengthened to 3 in and forcing cones appropriately tapered. And, all passed proof-testing with 3 in magnum proof shells--18,000+ pressure loads. Vulcan steel and Trojan Steel barrels from serial numbers 91,6xx to 228,1xx passed the proofing; all 10, 2-frame with barrels with weights from 4-1 to 4-4; no ring-bulges. Master Gunsmith Ed Lander, NH, measured the wall thickness first prior to chamber lengthening and proofing. These guns were not designed to be 3-in, as the Delgrego's point out, since original 3-in barrels have more steel and little to no taper/swamping at the breech. However, the steel in V-Grade and Trojan grade guns is very hard and strong. Larry, Jr has found that it takes 4 hours to polish V and Trojan barrels and only 2 hours for Peerless prior to re-bluing; very hard steel. Obviously, the steel is different--which is a big contention in Parker discussions. However, the proof is in the proof-testing. Installing a 4 in Edwards mercury reducer and fitting with a good recoil pad brings the weight of these guns to 8 1/2 pounds and they still balance slightly back of the hinge pin. I have been using a steel barreled P-grade 3 in 12 as well as two sleeved/mono-blocked by LeFever Mag 10 Parkers for years turkey and waterfowl hunting. So, for those interested in an unavailable 3-in 12 Parker original, if you can procure proof-loads, one can be had. Note: Ed just used his last 3 in proof shells on an original 2-frame Trojan 12 that was sent to Remington in 1953 for reconditioning-barrels re-blued, re-cased and stock refinished; barrel flats marked RRR-3, No. 2281xx.
Michael Bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Michael Bartlett's homepage!
Unread 04-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #23
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bartlett View Post
For those interested in 3 in chambered 12 ga. Parkers for use in the field, i.e. Turkey and Waterfowl, they can be produced from low-grade, 2-frame 12 Parkers. Presently, we have Ten (10) 2-frame 12 VH & Trojans with 30 in barrels that have had the chambers lengthened to 3 in and forcing cones appropriately tapered. And, all passed proof-testing with 3 in magnum proof shells--18,000+ pressure loads. Vulcan steel and Trojan Steel barrels from serial numbers 91,6xx to 228,1xx passed the proofing; all 10, 2-frame with barrels with weights from 4-1 to 4-4; no ring-bulges. Master Gunsmith Ed Lander, NH, measured the wall thickness first prior to chamber lengthening and proofing. These guns were not designed to be 3-in, as the Delgrego's point out, since original 3-in barrels have more steel and little to no taper/swamping at the breech. However, the steel in V-Grade and Trojan grade guns is very hard and strong. Larry, Jr has found that it takes 4 hours to polish V and Trojan barrels and only 2 hours for Peerless prior to re-bluing; very hard steel. Obviously, the steel is different--which is a big contention in Parker discussions. However, the proof is in the proof-testing. Installing a 4 in Edwards mercury reducer and fitting with a good recoil pad brings the weight of these guns to 8 1/2 pounds and they still balance slightly back of the hinge pin. I have been using a steel barreled P-grade 3 in 12 as well as two sleeved/mono-blocked by LeFever Mag 10 Parkers for years turkey and waterfowl hunting. So, for those interested in an unavailable 3-in 12 Parker original, if you can procure proof-loads, one can be had. Note: Ed just used his last 3 in proof shells on an original 2-frame Trojan 12 that was sent to Remington in 1953 for reconditioning-barrels re-blued, re-cased and stock refinished; barrel flats marked RRR-3, No. 2281xx.
To each there own, they are your guns to do with as you please, as far as I am concerned all that was accomplished is the ruination of some V's and Trojans.
Unread 04-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

The Lefever monobloc ten gauges are wonderful guns. I own one in DH grade.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i hope some day that i might come across one of these 10 ga magnums in a parker....i have shot several of the old spanish doubles 10 s but they are some what on the bulkie side..bill does your 10 ga handle well....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #26
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

Mike: who is the 'we' that has 10 chamber lengthened 12s?

Is this the Master Gunsmith Ed Lander of which you speak?

Drew Hause is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 04-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

does anyone here use their 3 inch gun on turkeys or water fowl...what was the averageweight of a parker 3 inch gun....looks like they would have a 3 inch gun made on a 3 frame size instead of a 1 1/2 frame...these are very interesting guns to me....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #28
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Hause View Post
Mike: who is the 'we' that has 10 chamber lengthened 12s?

Is this the Master Gunsmith Ed Lander of which you speak?

Could Mike be good old boy Ed Good the "torch"
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #29
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
does anyone here use their 3 inch gun on turkeys or water fowl...what was the averageweight of a parker 3 inch gun....looks like they would have a 3 inch gun made on a 3 frame size instead of a 1 1/2 frame...these are very interesting guns to me....charlie
Charlie
My factory original 3 inch Remington era Parker is on a 1 1/2 frame as shown in the pictures above that Dean posted. Also my Parker Reproduction Steel Shot Special which has 3 inch chambers is also on a 1 1/2 frame.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #30
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,536 Times in 4,621 Posts

"Master"? Is there an apprenticeship program or guild in this country that bestows that title?
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!